Question of the Day, March 24, 2010

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You should be able to, but I can't see how it would be tasteful. All you would ever see are gamertags like:

No... I better not go down that road, I don't want to offend anyone.
you were going to say Lesbian101? or something like that, its really not as bad as you probably think it is
I was thinking of something a little less tasteful than that. Because you can guarantee that someone will have a rather rude username and then play the whole "repressing my sexuality" card when someone finds it offensive.
Yeah you're probably right, it IS Xbox Live, PSN, and Wii...well nevermind that last one

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
If people really want to be identifiable by one aspect of themselves which is totally irrelevant to the thing in which they are participating, then they can be free to do so as far as I care. I just don't understand it though. StraightJebusSaves88 just doesn't have the same ring to it.

rezboyjoey

Mar 7, 2010
Let me be clear that I am not an intolerant person. In my eyes you are free to do whatever you want, however you want, with whoever you want regardless of gender. The one condition to this is I do not want to hear about it, I do not want to see it, I do not want to know it exists. Keep your sex life in another room (preferably one in a different city) and we can co-exist in peace.

Edit: *Insert "man you haven't gotten any in _____ have you?" joke here.*

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
if they can find a tasteful way in which to express their sexuality then they can go right ahead. I just can't think of any way they possibly could.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Sexual Preference part of a screen name...?

I don't think I've ever seen it in practice but why not...

If someone wants everyone to see what their sexual preference is, it would be better having it in their screen name than having them announce it every chance they get...

Most people would see the internet as a chance to be annonomous and therefore wouldn't put alot of revealing facts in their screen name, for example have you ever seen something like "24yearold_fromLondon"? A screen name should be a name, not a description. If you gonna reveal your sexuality when not your religion or job? "GayChristianInsuranceSalesman_fromManhatten_whoDrivesAFord" has added you as a friend is a bit odd don't you think...

Really I don't care, I won't complain about any screen name but I'm not gonna change my screen name to "Straight_Spacefly"

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I don't see why this would be a bad thing. Consider the alternative which would be censoring an entire group of people which is much worse than a couple of idiots with Gayhaterz609 or I_Kick_Gays21 as their usernames.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Its a bad idea because if you want people to care about your sexual orientation you're an attention whore. Seriously nobody here gives a fuck that you're gay, you're not starting a revolution.

If your main trait is that you're a playa or you're homosexual then you don't have much of a personality.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I think it's stupid, but if that helps people of a specific sexual orientation to find each other, and help form communities ... wait ... guess it's not a stupid idea after all. My pokemon-sexual friends ... where are thou? want to talk about Vulpix fashion?

Wait ... that's totally my inner-vulpix typing.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I don't care what they do, but I think it's kind of bad when the main thing you identify yourself with is your sexual orientation.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I don't see why it should be outlawed, though at the same time I'm not really sure why someone would choose to use it. Then again, I'm not sure why a lot of people choose to put what is in their user names in their user names in general.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Yeah, sure, of course. Sexual preference is no big deal. But remember: "GayGamer81" is just as bad a screen name as "HaloFan92" or "BlackGuy78" or "SexyGrrl666". Permit everything, all the time, no worries.. sometimes a screen name says something about a person, and often, it says just how damn uncreative they are. That works for me. I thank these people for wearing their "hearts" on their sleeves.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
I voted no.

It's not relevant in the slightest. I get that your sexuality might be a huge part of who you are, but when we are sitting 5000 miles apart and our aim is to blow each other up with an array of virtual weaponry, why the heck should I care or want to be informed about your sexuality?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
No. There is no reason I need to know who you want to have relations with. Don't care. Don't need to inform me.

Feb 13, 2008
Dahni said:
if they can find a tasteful way in which to express their sexuality then they can go right ahead. I just can't think of any way they possibly could.
Like I said earlier, just have it as a tag/badge. It's still denoting without broadcasting.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
I see no problem with this. Indeed, the only way I can see this NOT being okay is if some bigoted jackass on XBL or PSN (or wherever, I'm too lazy to list off all the possible screen names someone can have) uses it as an excuse to go on a homophobic (or perhaps heterophobic, i guess that's technically possible too) rampage.

So basically, it's the douches of the world that ruin everything.