Question of the Day, March 24, 2010

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
i'm all for it being an option, mostly for the sake of freedom of choice and the ability to include as much information about oneself as one's ego requires. i'm also of the opinion that it doesn't matter what anyone "is" unless they're there to hook up, and sexual preference is about as trivial as eye color or favorite breed of dog, but if people want to include it, they should be able to.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Only if it's actually their sexuality. Otherwise there'll be lots and lots of people using "gay" in their names (HUR HUR HOMOSEXUALITY IS SO FUNNY GUYS AM I RIGHT DUUURHAAAY) when they are not actually homosexual.

Bran Mugen

Feb 16, 2010
Only if the option exsists to not say. The best policy has always been "don't ask, don't tell" if people don't know, then there's no issue.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
So long as they can be tasteful about it. Let's face it: way too many people are going to go with the vheap laughs for this one.

slimeonline

is wondering how long this can b
Mar 22, 2010
Why is there a need you don't everyone your ethnicity, soon it will be:

Gamertag: John3424
Sexuality: Bisexual
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Favourite Cheese: Cheddar
etc.

There is no need to put these thing there!!!!

ReverendJ

Mar 18, 2009
I have a friend who designates himself as gay in his tag. I've been playing with him when people started giving him shit over it... then watched them quit when he starts whupping their asses. He does it specifically to drive those kinds of assholes out of the games, and I applaud it. His self-identifying as a real-life homosexual means that when I play with him I don't need to deal with the sort of people I try to avoid in real life, because they appear to be afraid to catch the gay from playing with him. This, in general, seems to cut down on the amount of racial slurs and other bullshit that comes screaming out of my headset when I play public FPSs. Besides, if who someone wants to bugger DOESN'T bother you, then really... why not?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Sure. Of course you also have the problem of the fact that the first thing gamers try to do is abuse any privilege you give them. I'd imagine 1 out of 10 will use the right properly and the rest will abuse it to gush hate. Still, ideally they should be allowed to but, that might not work in practice.

EqualNOpposite

Mar 21, 2010
*laughing* If they want to!

My guess is, since most people consider that information 'private' or at least 'not casual conversation', they wouldn't do it. But I'm all for individual freedoms; better they have the choice and choose not to than not have the choice and want to.

Also, it could result in some really weird gamertags, which is always good for a laugh...

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
coldalarm said:
Whilst I have nothing against people of sexualities that differ from my own (just as I tend to have nothing against those of other religions/beliefs, tastes etc), I had to vote no.

I shall paraphrase the brilliant British comedy "The IT Crowd" to explain my point; "I'm fine with my sexuality, I just don't want to be slapped in the face with theirs". I don't run around proclaiming mine (the same for most people), so why should it be "acceptable" for others to effectively scream about it?
my sentiments exactly, right down to the IT crowd reference.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I see no real reason why not.If they want people to know their sexual preferences.Then that's fine by me,just as long as they aren't rubbing it in my face.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Sexual preference should only be used if there is absolutely nothing more interesting about your life. And if that's the case, then that's very sad.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I have nothing against any type of sexuality, but I think it opens the door to really offensive mockeries by twelve-year-olds who don't understand that the world hates them and that mommy regrets seeing them every day.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Daystar Clarion said:
You should be able to, but I can't see how it would be tasteful. All you would ever see are gamertags like:

No... I better not go down that road, I don't want to offend anyone.
you were going to say Lesbian101? or something like that, its really not as bad as you probably think it is

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
slimeonline said:

etc.

But we NEED to know people's favorite CHEESES!!

Dec 14, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You should be able to, but I can't see how it would be tasteful. All you would ever see are gamertags like:

No... I better not go down that road, I don't want to offend anyone.
you were going to say Lesbian101? or something like that, its really not as bad as you probably think it is
I was thinking of something a little less tasteful than that. Because you can guarantee that someone will have a rather rude username and then play the whole "repressing my sexuality" card when someone finds it offensive.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Quiet Stranger said:
slimeonline said:

etc.

But we NEED to know people's favorite CHEESES!!
I thought it was about having a name like "GayLord_665" or something like that. In that case I'm for it, since every form of censorship in written media is bad, imo.

If it's about a separate field, then I don't understand the need for it at all.

My favourite cheese is pecorino.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Yes it should. Who cares what someones sexuality is? Except ..you know if you're interested in "being with them". I never got how someones sexuality can offend someone else. "Hey you're gay, you're trying to ruin my marrage!" or something just as bad.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Well, apparently I was thinking along a completely different trail of thought then the rest of you. I wasn't thinking of homosexuals, but more along the lines of some straight adolescent males and their need to express their thoughts in gamer tags that are completely inappropriate.

I laugh at them and their need to prove their masculinity to the internet.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Permissible, certainly.

Required, absolubtly not.

What people do "in their own time" is their own buisness and they should never be forced to talk about it.