Question of the Day, May 26, 2010

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
Slightly off topic - I dislike the way the article text of the Questions of the Day tends to pose a different question to the actual wording in the poll. Sometimes (like in todays) I'd answer yes to one question (yes, I believe it can be a serious condition) but I don't agree that it's on the same par necessarily as Drug addiction.

Woggles

IDS 104th
Nov 9, 2009
Though parenting is mainly at fault; videogame addiction does exist. Just look at World of Warcraft...

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Moromillas said:
No, no it isn't.

Alcohol addiction is much more serious, comes with very self destructive behavior, very difficult to treat, and always subject to relapse. Video game addiction pales in comparison to alcohol addiction, therefore I don't think its very serious.
and may also forget about house pets

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
uppitycracker said:
There should have been a "hahahahahahahahahaha what a joke" option. Seriously, if you can claim video game addiction exists, you might as well say you can be addicted to tying yer shoes. There's a difference between addiction and willpower, as well as many other conditions that could be fed by a lack of self control. If anything, it's a symptom of something bigger, not a condition.
if you spent about £100 a week tying shoelaces, maybe, but thats an irrelevant comparision
i agree that it is probably linked to something else though, like an inferiority complex or something

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Of course video game addiction exists - but playing for two hours is absolutely fine if you're really enjoying yourself and don't do it just because you're used to play a lot. Even then it's less an addiction and more a social problem.
Still, video game addiction is as real as gambling addiction - if maybe less present.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
Hmm, I do disagree with those that say it's serious because it -is- an addiction. (Or may be an addiction)

Maybe everyone's definition of "serious" is somewhat different and needs to be refined in the question. For me, a serious addiction would be something like alcohol, coke, or meth addiction. I just don't think video game addiction should be on the same level as that. Not when you can get a similar high from playing a sport you're good at, or eating ice cream, or having sex, or both.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
I believe that it can be a problem for some, especially MMO addicts and the recent wave of COD addicts, but the majority of gamers are sensible and controlling people. The majority of cocaine users, however... is a different story. Comparing the two is another blow to the gaming industry and community.

Dobrev

Mar 25, 2009
Any addiction is a seriuos problem. Games or not for some people it is no kaghing matter.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Steve [Pope?] is obviously an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. Seriously, two hours? It's just too ridiculous when people like him who don't know video games at all condemn it as a genuine negative practice like drugs or gang activity.

Seriously, someone should force him to play any good game for two hours, then let's see if he was "addicted", and then maybe after he can also tell us how much fun he had.

Bottomline: Being addicted to videogamess is in no way an addiction, ANYONE can turn it off, it is not outside of their physical capabilities to do so.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
"spending two hours on a game station is equivalent to taking a line of cocaine in the high it produces."

What?! What??!
How....

'Nuff Said, man. 'Nuff Said.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
uppitycracker said:
bleachigo10 said:
Straying Bullet said:
Guys, no offense, but you need to do your homework on this. They have done studies using MRIs and CAT scans of people playing video games and found that it produces the same effects on your brain as doing drugs.

Feb 13, 2008
Rainboq said:
]Guys, no offense, but you need to do your homework on this. They have done studies using MRIs and CAT scans of people playing video games and found that it produces the same effects on your brain as doing drugs.
No, they haven't.

Because it can't.

Brain chemistry, even when going through spasms, cannot reproduce the effects of chemical imbibing. The usual one, dopamine production, is limited by the amount of input received. Drugs change this. Games don't.

That said, addiction is a serious problem, whatever the source. It's just they haven't proved a case of game addiction yet, because said addiction would get the same high from Barbie Horse Adventures as Half Life.

What they have proved is addiction to the audiovisual stimulus produced by gaming, which can also be replicated in a number of other ways, like reading, sex, gambling etc.

Kursura

Apr 8, 2010
uppitycracker said:
If anything, it's a symptom of something bigger, not a condition.
According to an article I've read, this has actually been proven, in particular it's a common side effect of depression.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
SantoUno said:
Contun said:
I've already said it, so I may as well repeat it.
Guys, no offense, but you need to do your homework on this. They have done studies using MRIs and CAT scans of people playing video games and found that it produces the same effects on your brain as doing drugs. For instance, when you beat a particularly hard challenge, you may not feel it but your brain's reward centers produce massive amounts of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin, the exact same things Methamphetamines cause you to produce.
Moromillas said:
Hmm, I do disagree with those that say it's serious because it -is- an addiction. (Or may be an addiction)

Maybe everyone's definition of "serious" is somewhat different and needs to be refined in the question. For me, a serious addiction would be something like alcohol, coke, or meth addiction. I just don't think video game addiction should be on the same level as that. Not when you can get a similar high from playing a sport you're good at, or eating ice cream, or having sex, or both.
Actually, there was a particularly good article last week in the Escapist Magazine about how video game addictions can destroy lives.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Rainboq said:
uppitycracker said:
bleachigo10 said:
Straying Bullet said:
Guys, no offense, but you need to do your homework on this. They have done studies using MRIs and CAT scans of people playing video games and found that it produces the same effects on your brain as doing drugs.
lol do you have even the slightest idea how the human brain works? that's absurd on so many levels. drugs induce chemical reactions in the brain, very drastic ones. hell, you could say that eating broccoli produces the same effects on your brain as doing drugs, and it would be true in the sense of chemical reaction. it does not, however, stimulate the brain in even close to the same way. the bottom line is, "video game addiction" is just a way for people to push the blame on something else, whether it belong on the person for being horribly irresponsible, or horribly depressed. it's a symptom of a bigger issue, not an issue in itself.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Rainboq said:
]Guys, no offense, but you need to do your homework on this. They have done studies using MRIs and CAT scans of people playing video games and found that it produces the same effects on your brain as doing drugs.
snip.
I have this on pretty good authority, considering that my mother actually worked in one of those studies. They found increased levels of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin after a player completed a particularly hard challenge.

Now, this is after a hard challenge, which the aforementioned Barbie game would be lacking, but a game like Peggle or Half-life wouldn't.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
uppitycracker said:
Rainboq said:
uppitycracker said:
bleachigo10 said:
Straying Bullet said:
snip
I have a rather good understanding, thank you.

And yes there may be underlying issues, but addiction to video games DOES exist, there is no point in denying that, however, a lack of structure can lead to an increased risk for it.