Question of the Day, May 26, 2010

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Seriously, most of these articles are by those antiquated middle aged men that would be in just as much a huff if we said their fox hunting and pipe smoking was a worse habit.

Which they are.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Any addiction can be serious, and videogames are no exception. I don't think it's quite on a par with drugs though, since it has little physical effect.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Gaming addiction is not, and will not be a medical condition.
Mental, maybe, but a actual addiction would require chemicals to enter your brain and you become addicted to those.

If there ever was such a thing as video game addiction, it would be caused by chemicals in the brain that are released by "fun" and "pleasure" and you could get the same rush from doing anything else that you consider fun.

If this means that I'm addicted to fun, by the gods, someone must find me some help!

Maldark

Apr 27, 2010
OK the guy quoted in OP is a douche bag to be sure. But videogame addiction does exist. How many people have 'lost' a friend to WoW?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Any addiction is serious. Be it drugs, alcohol, gambling, gaming, or anything else. Once it starts being an addiction it's a serious problem, no matter how harmless the activity is.

CincoDeMayo

Dec 17, 2008
I'd say yes, gaming addiction IS serious. I wouldn't say that it's on par with drug addiction though, but I've noticed among many friends and friends of friends that they go nuts unless they play whatever game they're into every day. Take WoW addicts for example, someone freakin' DIED because he couldn't stop playing.

That's serious if you ask me.

But as mentioned by someone before me, it takes discipline. But on the other hand, so does quitting drugs.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yes.

I have it. I am compelled to play EVERYTHING that comes out. Great year so far...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I don't think it is as big a problem as other addictions...but if you have commitments, and falter because you can't stop...like some south Koreans...then it can be just as dangerous

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
Gaming addiction is related to gambling addiction. Both aim for a goal and make you euphoric when you win. I think gaming addiction does exist. I'm a teacher and I've seen students addicted to games (esp. WoW, Runescape, Warrock) At school, they can't concentrate, they can only talk about the last time they've played and what they're going to do the next time. That is, if they even come to school.

Talking to them about this puts them in denial. Most common phrases:
- Gaming addiction doesn't exist.
- I can stop whenever I want.
- I'm bored.
And it's my older colleagues who are mostly in denial about this. We have terrific school-programs for drug, alcohol and gambling addictions, but none for gaming.

I don't know if you can call this behaviour an addiction, but it's nearly impossible to make them stop. (except for taking away their computer, but what about homework then) And if it's not an addiction in the medical sense, it sure is a problem. I've seen students graduate with grades that are half of what they could achieve.

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
I posted on an article somewhat like this before and I'll say it again! Steve Pope is a dumb ass. I have friends who have become hooked on cocaine, and I have friends who are game addicts. My cocaine addicted friends actually scare me, whereas the game addicts are just the same as everybody else. Steve Pope is simply an idiot who doesn't understand what he is talking about.

Danik93

Aug 11, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Are you serious, two hours? That's a walk in the park for me and I can easily disconnect from the console at any given time. It takes 'discipline' if you ask me.

When on a boring day, no events or anything is planned, I happily game away that entire day. For me, it's a productive thing to do. But I suppose some people cannot relate to my experience.

In that case, parents should draw the line. In a respectful yet authorian way. You are first and foremost your child's parent than a friend.
I fully agree with you!
The closets thing i can relate to a gaming "addiction" is: When you are having a good time/fun or something like that, you're brain sends out signals of pleasure. and because you are affected positive of these signals, you want more. some people can't handle this and they are the "addicts".

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I don't disagree someone can become obsessed with playing videogames to a degree that the line between obsession and addiction are blurred, but I really don't think people are getting any kind of physical 'high' from it.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Anything can at some break point transform into addiction, so video games as well. Once you stop having control about how much time you spend on it compared to other, especially more important activities/daily routines you are, like it or not, addicted.

Is it on par with drugs/alcohol or other more common addiction? I doubt, it doesnt affect your health nor perception in such direct ways, but still can be somewhat dangerous in terms of social part of life (including education/work). Its still quite far from the drug addiction state, but probably in some cases may be a noticeable problem.

mountainfire

Forum Lurker
Jan 23, 2009
I think it's just one of those things that people can get addicted to, simply because of the rewards a lot of games offer for playing (the high from beating a level, killing a noob, etc.). But that sort of addiction is psychological, rather than the real chemical addiction that can come from cocaine, alcohol, or caffeine.