Question of the Day, May 26, 2010

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
Video games are so different from being addicted to drugs. First off, even if someone was addicted, what if they regularly exercised? The negative effects would be almost unnoticeable, unlike drugs.

Lol, 2 hours.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I want to say "No, of course not", but then of course we have Koreans playing Starcraft until they die, which calls the whole "videogames don't have drug-like effects" into question.

Arduras

Jul 14, 2009
I wouldn't say Gaming is an addiction in my circle of friends and I,

I mean, I play game alot, (at the moment, at least 8 hours a day, damn sick leave) but I don't feel the -need- to do so, I'd much rather be at work, or playing sports, its just that I can't (and I don't have the compulsion to go drinking at the Pub).

You put something in my hands that involves ANYTHING and I'd drop gaming and go do that, simple.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Rainboq said:
Actual said:
Rainboq said:
It works a lot like Methamphetamines, it stimulates the reward centers of your brain.
So does winning a game of football, or even playing well, or finishing a crossword, or having a wank. These all need to be illegal immediately for my own safety.

Seriously, I'm getting dehydrated.

None of those have the same level of stimulation of video games, think about that for a second.
Ok, I have and you're even more wrong.

Masturbation: less stimulating than a video game?

Joking aside, people get way more into their football than anyone does a video game. I love my games, but the emotional high that you can get from winning a game of football, quasar, rugby; or being physical with a great woman all make the rush from games pale into insignificance.

And none of those are truly addictive, yes you may enjoy it and want to feel it again but you don't have a dependency to the point where you need to get another fix.

Arguing that computer games give an addiction comparable to hardcore drug use is wrong, arguing that games are worse or as bad as, is laughable.

Another thing to ponder, games have no negative effects. Unlike drug use. And I'm super liberal, I think a little careful drug use is something everyone should try.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Actual said:
Rainboq said:
Actual said:
Rainboq said:
It works a lot like Methamphetamines, it stimulates the reward centers of your brain.
So does winning a game of football, or even playing well, or finishing a crossword, or having a wank. These all need to be illegal immediately for my own safety.

Seriously, I'm getting dehydrated.

None of those have the same level of stimulation of video games, think about that for a second.
Ok, I have and you're even more wrong.

Masturbation: less stimulating than a video game?

Joking aside, people get way more into their football than anyone does a video game. I love my games, but the emotional high that you can get from winning a game of football, quasar, rugby; or being physical with a great woman all make the rush from games pale into insignificance.

And none of those are truly addictive, yes you may enjoy it and want to feel it again but you don't have a dependency to the point where you need to get another fix.

Arguing that computer games give an addiction comparable to hardcore drug use is wrong, arguing that games are worse or as bad as, is laughable.

Another thing to ponder, games have no negative effects. Unlike drug use. And I'm super liberal, I think a little careful drug use is something everyone should try.
I never said it was as bad, physcially, I said the effects are similar.

And all things can be addicitve, video games very much so, seeing as how easy it is to get hooked and stay hooked. I believe there was a lovely arcticle in the Escapist Webzine a week or two ago about a WoW player who almost missed a shot at University due to a sort of addiction resulting from it.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Only to people who are already easily subjected to influence from any medium.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
No, instead look at the problems that lie behind "videogame addiction", depression, anxiety, or other things.

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
Rainboq said:
Shepard said:
No, no it's not. It's not even a "condition".

edit:

Marik2 said:
[HEADING=1] FUCK NO!!! [/HEADING]
If that was true than I must be able to consume endless hours of coke without dying.
^That^ Is hilarious!
See several of my posts.

Fair enough. *goes back and reads all of your posts and all people who commented on you and then you in turn* Two things stuck out. One:
Rainboq said:
They found increased levels of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin after a player completed a particularly hard challenge.
"A particularly hard challenge", really? That could be damn near anything. Whether its in a video game or it's a crossword puzzle, both are hard challenges, I guess crosswords are addictive too. I guess any "hard challenge" situation can be addictive then, yes? Two: your comparing video games to crystal meth... that's absurd. You pointed out three things that crystal meth and completing a hard challenge have in common.
Rainboq said:
When you beat a particularly hard challenge, you may not feel it but your brain's reward centers produce massive amounts of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin, the exact same things Methamphetamines cause you to produce.
So... because they have three similar effects you believe that video games are addictive. *facepalms* But you know what, your right. Let's forget about the numerous differences and focus on the three similarities that can also occur numerous other ways as well. /sarcasm.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Everything that can be done more than once can become a habit: gaming, smoking, eating, wanking, peeping, WoW, D&D...everything can be habit forming. It all depends on the personalities of the people indulging in those activities. Some people could get 'addicted' to gaming in the same way one would become 'addicted' to a favorite soft drink. Unlike meth or, cocain though, nobody would...

...suck a dick...

...for the latest Legend of Zelda or, Pokemon adventure.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Rainboq said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Rainboq said:
]Guys, no offense, but you need to do your homework on this. They have done studies using MRIs and CAT scans of people playing video games and found that it produces the same effects on your brain as doing drugs.
snip.
I have this on pretty good authority, considering that my mother actually worked in one of those studies. They found increased levels of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin after a player completed a particularly hard challenge.

Now, this is after a hard challenge, which the aforementioned Barbie game would be lacking, but a game like Peggle or Half-life wouldn't.
I don't see why this study is limited to just video games, what you describe just sounds like "winning".
Next we'll have spelling bee junkies; the new wave of terror for parents everywhere.

I honestly do not understand why "beating a videogame = a line of cocaine" and why it's not some other type of hobby.
It does sound like we're just fear mongering.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Wizzie said:
Rainboq said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Rainboq said:
]Guys, no offense, but you need to do your homework on this. They have done studies using MRIs and CAT scans of people playing video games and found that it produces the same effects on your brain as doing drugs.
snip.
I have this on pretty good authority, considering that my mother actually worked in one of those studies. They found increased levels of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin after a player completed a particularly hard challenge.

Now, this is after a hard challenge, which the aforementioned Barbie game would be lacking, but a game like Peggle or Half-life wouldn't.
I don't see why this study is limited to just video games, what you describe just sounds like "winning".
Next we'll have spelling bee junkies; the new wave of terror for parents everywhere.

I honestly do not understand why "beating a videogame = a line of cocaine" and why it's not some other type of hobby.
It does sound like we're just fear mongering.
Actually, you can get addicted to being correct...

Also, I agree with you on the Cocaine thing, it's more akin to the high of methanphedamines than anything...

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Shepard said:
Rainboq said:
Shepard said:
No, no it's not. It's not even a "condition".

edit:

Marik2 said:
[HEADING=1] FUCK NO!!! [/HEADING]
If that was true than I must be able to consume endless hours of coke without dying.
^That^ Is hilarious!
See several of my posts.

Fair enough. *goes back and reads all of your posts and all people who commented on you and then you in turn* Two things stuck out. One:
Rainboq said:
They found increased levels of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin after a player completed a particularly hard challenge.
"A particularly hard challenge", really? That could be damn near anything. Whether its in a video game or it's a crossword puzzle, both are hard challenges, I guess crosswords are addictive too. I guess any "hard challenge" situation can be addictive then, yes? Two: your comparing video games to crystal meth... that's absurd. You pointed out three things that crystal meth and completing a hard challenge have in common.
Rainboq said:
When you beat a particularly hard challenge, you may not feel it but your brain's reward centers produce massive amounts of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin, the exact same things Methamphetamines cause you to produce.
So... because they have three similar effects you believe that video games are addictive. *facepalms* But you know what, your right. Let's forget about the numerous differences and focus on the three similarities that can also occur numerous other ways as well. /sarcasm.
I wasn't saying IT WORKS LIKE METH, I was saying the high is the same, also, random tid bit, you can get addicted to being correct.

Shepard's Shadow

Mar 27, 2009
Rainboq said:
I wasn't saying IT WORKS LIKE METH, I was saying the high is the same, also, random tid bit, you can get addicted to being correct.
Oh, I see. You've been correcting almost everybody in the thread because you have to be right. I get it now. My turn. Tidbit is one word, not two. Oh also, that "high" can be achieved numerous other ways as well. Does that mean they are addictive too?

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Shepard said:
Rainboq said:
Oh, I see. You've been correcting almost everybody in the thread because you have to be right. I get it now. My turn. Tidbit is one word, not two. Oh also, that "high" can be achieved numerous other ways as well. Does that mean they are addictive too?
Anything someone enjoys can become an addiction, it's just our nature, we seek pleasure.

Shepard's Shadow

Mar 27, 2009
Rainboq said:
Shepard said:
Rainboq said:
Anything someone enjoys can become an addiction, it's just our nature, we seek pleasure.
True. It just rubs me the wrong way when video games are singled out. Whether the topic is about "video game addiction" or "violent behavior being caused by video games" video games seem to be singled out as if they are the only cause. Its almost like people use video games as a scape goat when the problem is, more often then not, completely unrelated. That said, I'd like to state that I think both "video game addiction" and "video games causing violent behavior" are both absurd and misguided notions. That last sentence wasn't directed at you, I just felt I needed to say that in case the 2 sentences before were interpreted the wrong way.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Well, i wouldn't shank a person for a WoW gamecard.

Red Dead Redemption for PC... i'd think about it first.

DuX1112

Mar 18, 2010
Quid Plura said:
Gaming addiction is related to gambling addiction. Both aim for a goal and make you euphoric when you win. I think gaming addiction does exist. I'm a teacher and I've seen students addicted to games (esp. WoW, Runescape, Warrock) At school, they can't concentrate, they can only talk about the last time they've played and what they're going to do the next time. That is, if they even come to school.

Talking to them about this puts them in denial. Most common phrases:
- Gaming addiction doesn't exist.
- I can stop whenever I want.
- I'm bored.
And it's my older colleagues who are mostly in denial about this. We have terrific school-programs for drug, alcohol and gambling addictions, but none for gaming.

I don't know if you can call this behaviour an addiction, but it's nearly impossible to make them stop. (except for taking away their computer, but what about homework then) And if it's not an addiction in the medical sense, it sure is a problem. I've seen students graduate with grades that are half of what they could achieve.
I just thought this needs to be repeated.

I also hate when someone posts a great comment on a thread that says a lot about the issue at hand, and almost everyone conveniently ignores it. Let's just shut our eyes and pretend kids aren't like that nowadays. It doesn't exist if you ignore it. How convenient.

Well, that's why I'm quoting it.

And no, it's not all bad parenting. It partly is, but you can't restrict every freedom your child has. It's psychology.

And all of you gaming apologists should READ it and THINK about it. I've seen people desperate for another round/level/kill/quest in a game, I've seen people get NO sleep because of games, seen people refusing to eat because of games. Heck, sometimes, I've been the 'lite' version of those people (sleep is my favourite sacrifice).

But, no, you'd rather all dwell on the Escapist day and night, muse about which game you'd buy/play next, how you gonna do it, what are you gonna do with it, games games games, and are ready to *****/blindly defend gaming just because... you feel like it. Not because you actually thought about it much, did you now?

Also, getting obsessed about a loose analogy in the scientist's remark is so FAIL. What are you gonna prove, that winning a hard challenge isn't the same as snorting coke? Well guess what, common sense says IT ISN'T, but people still spend as much time on coke as on games. People (and kids) still don't learn shit because of games as they do because of coke, people retreat themselves from society (and eventually fuck themselves up) because of games just the same as they do from drugs/alcohol, in short: people's lives get ruined all the same, be it from their drug, alcohol, or gaming addiction.

It was an ANALOGY ffs! Which doesn't mean it's supposed to be identical or scientifically proven. It just serves as an example of similarity. Damn it!

People just need to pay more attention to their lives.

And sure, I know plenty of gamer who are not addicts. But I'm also sure there are plenty of them who have turned pushing buttons and staring tensely into a screen (and getting their "highs" all day/week/month long) into a (potentionally) damaging lifestyle.

Sure, games won't make your muscles hurt and your body wriggle on the floor, yearning for the next dose... oh, wait, they can. :|

Greetings to all the... moderate gamers out there. :)