Question of the Day, November 16, 2010

Fortuan

Oct 14, 2008
JamesBr said:
Fortuan said:
JamesBr said:
I remember the last time a Diablo game was released on console. Alas, controllers haven't changed AT ALL since then. Even with the system's overhaul for D3, without a keyboard and mouse, ARPGs are simply doomed to failure.
Not so look at Baldur's Gate, was a huge hit for PS2 and also Demon's Souls a nice Action RPG sleeper hit.
Although I will agree, I would argue that both of these games were made for consoles in the first place (I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me if I am). They are not, to my knowledge, click-heavy in the style of Diablo/Torchlight etc... Maybe my statement was a little too broad. That being said, have you played the console version of Diablo? It was horrible. And since controllers have not changed since the Playstation era, I doubt that a console port of Diablo 3 would function equally to the PC version. But then again, I just prefer keyboard and mouse to controller, so that could just be me :p
Well if they did bring it to console they would have to change the button and the way that things work, maybe like dragon age origins

warps

Jun 10, 2009
I actually played quite a lot of the original Diablo on PSX. Surprisingly the controls felt much better on the console version. And the 2 player co-op was enjoyable. Too bad it didn't sell (but given the 2 years delay it's not all that surprising). I'm looking forward to having an alternative of playing it on a console again.

And to all those "no, it's meant to be played on the PC" voices - really? If the port is well made (and given that it's Blizzard we're talking about - it'll be released when it's done properly or not released at all) then it's the "FPS can't be played on consoles" argument all over again.

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
No.. but it would mostly be for the reason that I'd have already purchased it for my pc.. And I don't like buying the same game twice..

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I've never been that interested in the Diablo series, I barely even know what it is.
Following logic, I wouldn't give a monkey's backside about this game regardless of platform.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Not a chance. I don't believe Diablo 3 would work too well on console, but if it did I'd still prefer the control scheme provided by the PC.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Never played a Diablo game, so I don't know. Maybe I'll get Diablo 3, but I have no preference as to what to play it on since I've never played a previous game in the series. If people say PC is best, I'd probably buy it for that, if I buy it.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Fortuan said:
JamesBr said:
Fortuan said:
JamesBr said:
I remember the last time a Diablo game was released on console. Alas, controllers haven't changed AT ALL since then. Even with the system's overhaul for D3, without a keyboard and mouse, ARPGs are simply doomed to failure.
Not so look at Baldur's Gate, was a huge hit for PS2 and also Demon's Souls a nice Action RPG sleeper hit.
Although I will agree, I would argue that both of these games were made for consoles in the first place (I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me if I am). They are not, to my knowledge, click-heavy in the style of Diablo/Torchlight etc... Maybe my statement was a little too broad. That being said, have you played the console version of Diablo? It was horrible. And since controllers have not changed since the Playstation era, I doubt that a console port of Diablo 3 would function equally to the PC version. But then again, I just prefer keyboard and mouse to controller, so that could just be me :p
Well if they did bring it to console they would have to change the button and the way that things work, maybe like dragon age origins
The problem is that the entire system would have to be changed to allow for a controllers limited button layout. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that the system would have to be made specifically for console. If they just port the game and then map a bunch of limited hot keys to the controller (which is pretty much how the first Diablo was ported), it won't be much fun. Games like Diablo have always worked best on PC simply because of the increased number of buttons and increased precision thanks to the mouse. Using the analogue stick to control a character in Diablo always seems sticky compared to a mouse's point and click. If they do port the game to console, I'll be willing to give it a shot, but I'm not holding my breath.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I just wish console games would offer full support for keyboard and mouse. I really dislike the sorts of UI gyrations they end up going through to make granular things like inventory management, gear customization and such work on a gamepad-dependent machine. There's no reason that the current generation of consoles can't manage that, and since so many games are released simultaneously for the PC as well, it's really nonsensical.

Also, for the ubiquitous 'but I want to sit on my couch and game' comments, you can sure do that with your PC, too. No instant installs, but with flexibility you get complexity, that's true.

dough

Dec 17, 2008
I don't have a console, so that option is out the window.
Even if I did, I'd probably stick to the PC version.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Nope.

Not interested in cut-down versions of games.

And that's before we even get into Xbox Live Gold, which will be required for online.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I'd play it on any console. Although I have to wonder how the multiplayer would work on the Wii.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
It'd depend, as long as it was still fun I'd consider it. Platform shouldn't really be a consideration as long as you enjoy what you're playing.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I'm gonna go with "Maybe: If the controls are done well."

PC is still the ideal though.