Question of the Day, November 9, 2010

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
I don't like Akira, but even if I loved it (and a lot of people do) I would still be thinking: leave it! Bad Hollywood. Live-action versions of anime are just wrong. I mean, we already have to bear the disaster which Cowboy Bebop will most likely turn out to be.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Maybe. I'd have to see who the rest of the cast is so they can make up for this shitty acting Zac Efron does. Morgan Freeman's a good start, but they're going to need more.

You think I'm flaming or joking, but I'm not, not either. Or flame baiting. Zac Efron sucks as an actor, I saw 17 again, Charlie St. Cloud, when we had High School Musical 3 (i work at a movie theatre, I see EVERY movie that it gets the day we get it, whihc is the week before we release it to the public). And Zac Efron has the dramatic acting capabilities of a line (he's one dimensional for those who dont get it).

So the movie is going to result in the rest of the cast. If the rest of the cast are good, and they stay somehwat faithful (whihc they probably could, since there are enough anime fans here where it would make a decent enough profit from that demographic), then the movie will be oka, as long as it doesnt rely on Zac Efron to carry the main bulk of the emotion. If the rest of the cast suck, or they arent that faithful, it wont be that great.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
No: I didn't like Akira to begin with. I've seen it and am willing to give it a second chance but it didn't do anything for me. It was at least better than Ghost in the Shell.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Wow. Live-action-version-of-an-animated-show Hollywood-adaptation Akira. Three things I loathe about equally.

(Whacks "other" button.) Drop me in the "I didn't like Akira the first time, why would I see it again?" category.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Why are we all talking about the actors anyway? Wouldn't the more important question be who's directing/writing this film?

*wikipedia* Oh, it's the people who did The Book of Eli.

Go away.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
I do not even like Akira, but I would watch it if Morgan Freeman was in it. He's just the raddest older dude ever since Ossie Davis.

cystemic

Jan 14, 2009
if i was standing at the cinema trying to decide between akira and twilight, there would be no contest and considering that pretty much every movie is twilight grade these days, I'm willing to give it a shot

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Zack Efron as light i would watch as long as he does it well, him in akira hmmmmmmmmm probablly not

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
The Escapist Staff said:
Question of the Day, November 9, 2010

Rumor has it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105107-Rumor-Morgan-Freeman-Joining-Zac-Efron-for-Akira-Adaptation] that Zac Efron and Morgan Freeman are being considered for leading roles in a live-action adaptation of classic 1988 anime film Akira. Would you go to see this movie?

I dunno who Zac Efron is, but i'd like to see Morgan Freeman as Eli Vance...

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
I disapprove. Only because I don't know who is playing who.

If Efron plays Tetsuo I'm sure I can get some perverse satisfaction of him turning into the monstrosity that he becomes. Provided that the sequence seems brutal and painful for Efrons character.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
2012 Wont Happen said:
Is there an option to watch it with Morgan Freeman only?
I pretty much agree with this. Morgan Freeman is one hell of an actor. Unfortunately, I can't STAND Zac Efron. Just 'cause of that, I wouldn't pay money to see it. Maybe if someone brought the DVD round, but I wouldn't voluntarily go and see it.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
I'm not too convinced this is a good thing, but unless it's really obviously bad I'll watch any adaptation of Akira, regardless of who stars in it.