Question of the Day, October 27, 2010

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Absolutely love it when it's done well. Especially when the music is synched with the action and even more so when it sets the mood of the moment. Segments where music emphasizes the action are king.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
I enjoy game soundtracks usually for immersion purposes but I also fucking love a bit of hectic music that's meant to go with the action (Anamanguchi with Scott Pilgrim vs The World). Although I have to say that I never really notice/enjoy the heavy metal style soundtracks of slash-'em-ups such as Devil May Cry.

The games that have incorporated music INTO the gameplay (Vib Ribbon and REZ) are fucking phenomenal...I really wish we could see more of that kind of thing.

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
Whether or not i listen to the music depends on the game. If its an rpg i turn it down as the kind of music in rpgs tends to be to slow for what i like. How ever action, racers and fps tend to have music thats more apealing to me so I'll keep it turned up (until I think it sucks then it gets turned down).

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Music can make or break a game, same as it can a movie.

Imagine Left 4 Dead or the Matrix lobby scene set to the sounds of "Yakety Sax" turns a horror/action scene into a lame comedy. The mass effect 2 suicide mission would not be the same without the epic music. Course, some games don't need any music and I will put my own on. Especially multiplay games I'm playing for the 200th hour (tf2 for example).

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
I love video game music, despite what my quiz results would tell you. Just cause I don't know all game music...

Layz92

May 4, 2009
I can pick the memorable/atmospheric sound tracks but for most of there average forgettable stuff I turn off the music and play my own.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My answer wasn't represented really. While it's true that I don't normally pay attention to game-music, I do enjoy what I know. There are certain games with really great music but, for the most part, I really don't pay attention. Of course, I am more aware of bad music within games like the Fable 3 soundtrack. It took me one romp in the bedroom to give up on that soundtrack.

demoap

Jan 1, 2010
Sure, and if it is good enough, I get the soundtrak for my collection...
Unfortunately, it is VERY hard to find memorable tracks in games...of course there are exceptions, take Fallout 3 or Valve games, for example.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
I'd like to mention the backround music in Odyssey to the west and halo reach. I found they were very effective for building the atmosphere.

Jester00

Sep 22, 2010
i love the music of VVVVVV, but normally i listen to my own music while gaming.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
I prefer to play my own music in the background.

Nothing can quite compare to co-ordinating a massive parajump in ARMA to Uprising by Muse.

Feels good.

Trifer420

Mar 20, 2009
with the music in current games, I prefer to hit the mute. But with old games I'm more likely to keep the music on.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
As a professional musician, I not only notice it but critique it as well. It's true, music can make or break a game.