Question of the Day, October 27, 2010

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
I like a few songs, because they build up atmosphere and I'd notice them, but not all the way to knowing their composer.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I love Music in Game.
one of my favorite Bonuses for a game is a sound track CD.

Metroid Prime was one game where the music greatly impacted my experience while playing, it was awesome.
Id own game OSTs if i could afford them.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Erana said:
Omnomnom chiptune.

Seriously, most of the music on my iPod is chiptune. I'm not sure if that entirely counts, seeing as a lot of it is never actually used for video games, but I love the chip sound.
I must steal your iPod.

In regards the thread, video-game music is really important to me, and if there's a good soundtrack, I'll pay for it if I can, or download it if I can't find the means. It's never been that much of a factor that I'd look out for a specific composer though.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I often like licenced music like the radio stations in gta and fallout or the soundtrack to Rez but I rarely like the music composed for a game. The only one that comes to mind is the Katamari games.
Overall the music is usually unimpressive or too overbearing for the game.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Can you imagine games like Halo, Red Dead Redemption and other games with great soundtracks, can you imagine them without music? Don't even try mutha*beep*er!

Lord_Kristof

Sep 24, 2010
I very rarely mute the music, nowadays it's mostly in flash games when I really hate the song in the background, and in Diablo 2 - because I know the tunes inside-out and though I love them, they got old, pretty much.

I listen to a lot of video game music and will choose to listen to video game soundtracks over regular music quite often. I've got a lot of favourites, but probably the ones which made the biggest impact on me in-game were Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Red Alert 2, Painkiller and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Also, I completely adore the Halo ODST soundtrack despite never playing the game.

I won't post all of my favourites here, because it would take quite a lot of space!

digitalarcane667

Jan 8, 2010
To a certain extent, there are some songs that I absolutely love that have come from games -chrono trigger had a master sound track, FFX, SOTC, etc. then, there are some games where it's best to just put it on mute, fire up pandora/last.fm and get crazy -- I do that a lot for TF2, Counterstrike and WoW.

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
A lot of the games i hail as masterpieces wouldn't be half as good without the music. fable, zelda, and red dead redemption are just a few games of the many that this applies to.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Back in the day (like... pre-millenial) I was more of a fan. There seemed to be more distinct stuff for some reason. Now most things I've played seem to have samey symphonic or faux-metal kind of soundtracks and it all blends together, despite having a wider range of potential instrumentation. That, or licensed pop songs.

Final fantasy bucks this a bit, but it started getting difficult after 7 to properly tell them apart as well.

Hmm. I'd suspect this of being old-man syndrome, but usually that manifests as the reverse, doesn't it? Hating new stuff because of how different it is? It certainly hasn't kicked in for me with actual pop/rock music, yet.
Or maybe just listening to the wrong games?

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Never really had much interest in video game music until Jack Wall came along with the Mass Effect 2 soundtrack.

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
There's a missing option there. I listen to Videogame Music outside games.

For tunes I really like I usually buy (if available) or rip from the game I own for listening. I've also attended videogame music concerts -those fully orchestral affairs- on occasion.

Yup, some VG music I really like. But I would not buy a game based on who composed the music, that's just weird.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
Video Game music actually makes up the majority of the music I listen to when not playing video games. Point of fact, as I write this, I have Chrono Trigger music playing in the background.

The only times I ever use my own music in a game is when the game either has none of its own or invites me to do so. In Alien Swarm, they encourage you to make a list of your own music that the game will play during dramatic battles. I only have two non-video game tracks on there, Verdi's Dies Irae and Danny Elfman's Breakfast Machine. The rest is nothing more than a long list of battle music from other games I love.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Ah video game tunes, probably the only quality of the sonic games that people will openly admit they like. Speaking of which, here's one of the best ones Gotta love Crush 40.