Question of the Day, October 27, 2010

Poketom

Apr 14, 2009
Humm... I won't buy specific games because of their composers but I will on the other hand buy game soundtracks if I like them enough. So wherever that places me.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Currently, half my iTunes library consists of songs I pulled from my game files, so I would say yes. Jesper Kyd and Jeremy Soule are likely the best composers in the business.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Music is a huge part of making a good game into a great game. The Final Fantasy games (well, the ones with music by Uematsu, I can't recall anything from FF13) all have memorable music, as do a lot of the Nintendo classics (Mario, Zelda). Torchlight and Diablo had music that really added to the atmosphere of the game, and Red Dead Redemption had a really funky bass riff going in one of the tracks.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
*hugs my The Elder Scrolls III, The Elder Scrolls IV, Guild Wars, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy X, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and many other soundtracks*

Jeremy Soule, Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda...

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I am a musician, so obviously I am very interested on VG soundtracks. Actually I got all the soundtracks of the Silent Hill games because they are all made by Akira Yamaoka, and since I really love it...

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I dunno. I mean, I don't usually bother with setting my own music to it unless it's my MMORPG of choice, and that's partly to get myself in the right mindset of the character I'm using, and partly because the music is the one part of the game I'm not enthralled with.

Every other game, I'm perfectly content to hear the music designed for the experience at hand. I won't notice them unless they're good, though. That includes clever use of silence, as well.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It's when you don't notice that music that it's good.
If it stands out, it's not really background music, is it?

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Video Game music is great, it has to be to set the mood of the whole game.

Your Not Alone from Final fantasy 9 is great, as well as Song of Memories from teh same game.

Andantil

May 10, 2009
No "Sometimes" option?

Some games have really good music, most don't. I only pay attention to the music in some games, more often mute it and listen to my own.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Depends on the game. Sometimes i might notice it and enjoy it really much. But i often dont even notice.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
For me it depends on a game. If its a liniar game I listen to the music. If its open world or I'm replaying a game (or just xp grinding), I mute the music and play my own as I find the soundtrack gets repetative and annoying very quickly.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
StarCraft II Terran music - when you play as terran :p love the space cowboy thing it has to it <3

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
Now I don't like most video game music in the context of being outside of the game but some songs or the whole soundtrack(JSR) are worth a download. I wouldn't buy it though

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Goes both ways for me. I have a few games in my shelf I've only kept for the sound track, Evil Twin especially. Crap game, but sometimes I just drop the controls and turn up the speakers. On the other hand I find it impossible to like a lot of JPRGs just because of the horrid music. Sure I can turn the sound off but I still know it's there.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Giest4life said:
I still can't get over the fact how awesome Halo's soundtrack is.
This.

Whatever people say about the Halo games (I'm a fan) the music is incredible. Marty O'Donnell is an official genius! I have every soundtrack from Combat Evolved to Reach and every one is a master piece in its own right. He is able to pull off badass, alien butt kicking rock anthems and also more sincere emotional tunes as well.

Denamic said:
It's when you don't notice that music that it's good.
If it stands out, it's not really background music, is it?
This is true. We shouldn't be ashamed to admit that we don't notice the music at times, because by its very nature it should blend seemlessly with the rest of the experience. However there is usually at least one or two moments which really stand out and then promt me to seek the remainder of the soundtrack.

Video game music has come a long way since the days of those synthesised tunes in retro games. We're seeing entire orchestras recording entire albums worth of material now and I think it's a real shame when no one takes a moment to really appreciate that.

On a related note: Harry Gregson-Williams' soundtrack for MGS3 is just pure awesome, epic win. Case in point: