Question of the Day, September 7, 2010

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
PoliceBox63 said:
It's gotta be the TARDIS! I mean... COME ON! :D
Think of the wonderful opportunities opened to you, and that's before travelling in time.
Yeah, there are some serious balancing issues with this poll, clearly the TARDIS will get a landslide victory.
I mean c'mon, I can use the TARDIS to go through time and space and get all the other cool things from there. Plus it makes sonic screwdrivers.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
Rednog said:
PoliceBox63 said:
Tharwen said:
Can I have a fully working TARDIS and a crew?
[sub]Actually, were they all called TARDISes or was it just the one the Doctor stole?[/sub]
Yes they were all called TARDISes
Wait a minute, I'm pretty sure the doctor's granddaughter is the one who coined the term TARDIS and that we have no clue what the galifran name for it is. Thus it really wouldn't be called TARDISes because the term was coined when there was only one and for that single one.
No, it's since been affirmed in the classic series that they are all called TARDISes.

Feb 13, 2008
Rednog said:
Wait a minute, I'm pretty sure the doctor's granddaughter is the one who coined the term TARDIS and that we have no clue what the galifran name for it is. Thus it really wouldn't be called TARDISes because the term was coined when there was only one and for that single one.
They're usually referred to by their type. (The Doctor's is a outdated Type 40: The Vista of TARDIS's)

But, the machines themselves are usually referred to as TARDIS's, given both Romanadvoratrelundar(Fred) and the Doctor have both been up as the President of Gallifrey at specific points, who carried the nomenclature back to Gallifrey.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
Quaxar said:
PoliceBox63 said:
Think of the wonderful opportunities opened to you, and that's before travelling in time.
Yeah, there are some serious balancing issues with this poll, clearly the TARDIS will get a landslide victory.
I mean c'mon, I can use the TARDIS to go through time and space and get all the other cool things from there. Plus it makes sonic screwdrivers.
Well you still haven't finished your classes so you couldn't :p

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Inb4: Amy Pond. ;)

Ok, Ok, I'm gonna go with the TARDIS, but mine's gonna be shaped like a Star Wars arcade cabinet.
Dammit, you ninja'd me with Amy Pond! Though, in a universe where she actually existed, Rory would too, so that would kind of hamper things a bit... :p

Anyway, I'd pick the TARDIS out of the poll options, especially as everything else in the poll would be a part of or come with a TARDIS anyway. So I get the best of all worlds there. I think from that, the staff may have kind of accidentally made the poll redundant, a tiny bit, by default... and as for the shape, I'd have my TARDIS shaped like a wardrobe, and it would replace the wardrobe that is almost falling apart in my new student flat. I could get rid of the drawers that are all damaged then and use the TARDIS Wardrobe Room for that instead, and get my own TARDIS anyway to boot! Several birds killed, with a single stone... :D

Feb 13, 2008
PoliceBox63 said:
Quaxar said:
PoliceBox63 said:
If you've played TARDIS though, you should be able to launch the TARDIS in under thirty seconds though :)

Where it lands...well, she's got a mind of her own.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
PoliceBox63 said:
Quaxar said:
PoliceBox63 said:
If you've played TARDIS though, you should be able to launch the TARDIS in under thirty seconds though :)

Where it lands...well, she's got a mind of her own.
That's purposely false;) The real know-how is inside TimeLord's and my head... We can't have any Tom, Dick or Kamelion knowing how to fly our TARDIS, now can we? ;)

Feb 13, 2008
PoliceBox63 said:
That's purposely false;) The real know-how is inside TimeLord's and my head... We can't have any Tom, Dick or Kamelion knowing how to fly our TARDIS, now can we? ;)
Yeah, and it'd be terrible if an Android impersonated the Doctor and set the random number generator loose, wouldn't it? :)

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
PoliceBox63 said:
Rednog said:
PoliceBox63 said:
Tharwen said:
[sub]Actually, were they all called TARDISes or was it just the one the Doctor stole?[/sub]
No, it's since been affirmed in the classic series that they are all called TARDISes.
But TARDIS is clearly an English term. Thus they really wouldn't be called TARDISes because the abbreviation probably doesn't work out in Gallifreyan. Just sayin'.

PoliceBox63 said:
Wait a minute, I remember you saying you would give me my certificate "on wednesday". Of course I can't get my license if you withhold my documents!

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
PoliceBox63 said:
Rednog said:
PoliceBox63 said:
Tharwen said:
Booted up the first episode of the first season and I quote:
Granddaughter: The TARDIS can go anywhere
Female Teacher: TARDIS? I don't understand you Susan.
Granddaughter: Well I made up the name TARDIS from the initials Time and Relative Dimension in Space...(exposition on spaces in spaces).

Logically speaking the Doctor's ship is TheTARDIS, it's like if I had a teddy bear and named him Mr. Fluffy, other teddy bears aren't Mr. Fluffys they are other teddy bears. Thus one should conclude that like there is only one Mr. Fluffy (ignore the fact that someone else can call their bear Mr. Fluffy if they wanted to) and like the doctor, sure there once was many ships like his but they all weren't called TARDIS (they could have possibly been called Time and Relative Dimension in Space machines sure, but his granddaughter was the one who first began using the term TARDIS.

I've never gone through the complete classic series (still working on it) but if they are at some point called TARDISes then so be it, but it seems to be, in my opinion, a failure of the writing for the reasons above.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
PoliceBox63 said:
Yeah, and it'd be terrible if an Android impersonated the Doctor and set the random number generator loose, wouldn't it? :)
IT WAS YOU!

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
oo so hard to choose, i suppose either the TARDIS or sonic screwdriver. If i had the TARDIS then i would be able go to a time where they had rly cool gadgets and gizmos. But if i had the sonic screwdriver then i could hack into a ton of different things in this timie. So hard to choose.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
I think the ability to control gravity is the most underrated ability of the bunch. Think about it; gravity controls everything.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
Quaxar said:
But TARDIS is clearly an English term. Thus they really wouldn't be called TARDISes because the abbreviation probably doesn't work out in Gallifreyan. Just sayin'.
Oh pish wibbly wobbly translaty wanslaty shite... You know that stuff doesn't fly! That has to fall under writer's licence.

Quaxar said:
Wait a minute, I remember you saying you would give me my certificate "on wednesday". Of course I can't get my license if you withhold my documents!
You never turned up to collect it! It had to be shredded according to the MDTT.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Time travel would be cool, but that's too much responsibility. No, I would go with the sonic screwdriver, an all-in-one tool with endless uses.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
Rednog said:
Granddaughter: Well I made up the name TARDIS from the initials Time and Relative Dimension in Space...(exposition on spaces in spaces).

Logically speaking the Doctor's ship is TheTARDIS, it's like if I had a teddy bear and named him Mr. Fluffy, other teddy bears aren't Mr. Fluffys they are other teddy bears. Thus one should conclude that like there is only one Mr. Fluffy (ignore the fact that someone else can call their bear Mr. Fluffy if they wanted to) and like the doctor, sure there once was many ships like his but they all weren't called TARDIS (they could have possibly been called Time and Relative Dimension in Space machines sure, but his granddaughter was the one who first began using the term TARDIS.

I've never gone through the complete classic series (still working on it) but if they are at some point called TARDISes then so be it, but it seems to be, in my opinion, a failure of the writing for the reasons above.
Come on you know as well as I do that things that happen in pilot episodes aren't always set in stone. Writers change things all over the place.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
PoliceBox63 said:
Rednog said:

Come on you know as well as I do that things that happen in pilot episodes aren't always set in stone. Writers change things all over the place.
Oh I agree, after dragging myself through the wiki, and thinking about the general history of Doctor Who, I'm chalking it up to a failure of writing, the thing has been handed from writer to writer over time (especially with different writers of books) and they don't seem to fact check things 100% of the time or they just make shit up and retcon it in.