Questions Still Swirl Around EA's Origin Bans

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Maybe we should teach EA a lesson and STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS.

Seriously, it's not that hard. Next time they produce something you WANT, remember that it is exactly that, something you want, not NEED. We can live without it.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Another good reason to NEVER BUY A EA GAME EVER. Seriously EA abuses its gamers, and leaves us with nothing, tries to screw us out of money, and generally hates us.

Does this sound fair to you?

If you break our forum rules, or make us even slightly irritated, We will lock you out of not only multiplayer, We will DISABLE YOUR GAMES, THAT YOU PAID FOR, SO YOU CAN NEVER PLAY THEM AGAIN, YOU HAVE TO MAKE A NEW ACCOUNT AND REBUY THE GAMES.

At least steam just bans you from vac servers, you can still play your games, and thats only if you hack, you don't get your account disabled for making Valve mad, they just ignore you.

This is what is wrong with gaming today, and I personally refuse to ever buy a EA game again, Unless its used.

;D

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Burst6 said:
Belated said:
cookyy2k said:
Does anyone remember when buying a game meant ownership of that game? Where publishers couldn't take away your ability to play the game, where they couldn't dictate how many times you could install your game, where they didn't force you to be connected to their (short lived) server to play single player and where they didn't moan that you sold your property on to someone else? I hope this trend of games becoming a service by the publisher isn't here to stay but of course it is. Publishers wont give up this level of control, especially when consumers seem happy to accept it.
Quoted for truth. Now watch me use this as a jumping-off point for a ridiculous rant:

Y'see all you Conservative gamers out there? This is why corporations need MORE regulation. We don't need a "free" market, we need a chained up market where the CEO gets whipped and stepped on so he's made to behave like a good little boy. Corporations will always try to work around the system to cut corners, or install bad practices and policies that screw the customer base even if the company is making a perfectly decent profit before those changes are made. Therefore, every time that happens, we need to make a new law that forces them to undo those changes if the changes can't be reasonably defended. Actually, I'm of the belief that we should pass one blanket law giving the government unlimited power to veto any private business decision that the government deems "unfair" or "bad practice", at their discretion. This may sound like an infringement of people's rights, but corporations aren't people and anybody who tells you otherwise is a frickin' liar, and probably out to get you.

Do you trust the government to make the right decisions though? Do you think that everyone in government will work for the benefit of the people?

The government doesn't need more power. They're already trying to screw us over with the power they have.
Well, yeah they're trying to screw us over, because there's still lots of Conservatives involved in it. And the loyalties of Conservative politicians lie with the highest bidder. But even so, I'd trust the public sector who's primary objective is service, over a private sector who's primary objective is profit. Just look at China's business. Their economy is like 30% bootlegs and 20% things filled with dangerous chemicals. Why? Because the government isn't cracking down on much of it. You may say that China's government is one of the most oppressive around, but that's towards its people, not towards its business. All governments need is more oppression towards business, and less towards people.

Apr 28, 2008
cookyy2k said:
Does anyone remember when buying a game meant ownership of that game? Where publishers couldn't take away your ability to play the game, where they couldn't dictate how many times you could install your game, where they didn't force you to be connected to their (short lived) server to play single player and where they didn't moan that you sold your property on to someone else? I hope this trend of games becoming a service by the publisher isn't here to stay but of course it is. Publishers wont give up this level of control, especially when consumers seem happy to accept it.
Ah yes, I remember those days.

For those who don't know, it was like this.

I went to the store. I bought the game. I installed the game. I played the game.

It was that simple. What's so different now?

I go to the store. I buy the game. I start up Steam (if needed). I input the CD code. Game connects to the internet to make sure I'm not a pirate even though I proved that when I bought the game. Game installs whatever service it needs to install(Steam, Origin, GFWL, ect.). Game updates. Start game (provided the servers are working). Get told to register the game. Finally get to the game menu. Play game.

Oh, and god help you if one of those things ends up not working.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
red the fister said:
Or. Give Origin the old "Piss-off" and buy physical copies of EA games. and, of course, those gamers w/o access to a local game store can always order a copy over the internet.
Until Origin becomes mandatory for more than a couple games in all formats.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
...Or you may simply want to think about [em]not patronizing Origin[/em] (or, as I call it, stEAm).

Honestly, between this and Project Shakedown Ten Dollar and their misogynistic marketing stunts, EA dearly needs to have at least a couple of bad fiscal quarters.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Irridium said:
cookyy2k said:
Ah yes, I remember those days.

For those who don't know, it was like this.

I went to the store. I bought the game. I installed the game. I played the game.

It was that simple. What's so different now?

I go to the store. I buy the game. I start up Steam. I input the CD code. Game connects to the internet to make sure I'm not a pirate even though I proved that when I bought the game. Game installs whatever service it needs to install(Steam, Origin, GFWL, ect.). Game updates. Start game (provided the servers are working). Get told to register the game. Finally get to the game menu. Play game.

Oh, and god help you if one of those things ends up not working.
I can top this. I have to go for awhile after this post though.

Buy game from gamestop + Guide that comes with a code.
Get home
Put CD in
Use CD code with steam
Installs core files
STEAM INSTALLS THE REST - 5 hours later.
Game is installed
Servers are to busy to activate the extra content that I got for pre ordering
Gotta wait 24 hours for the servers to be able to install my DLC
Finally install my DLC
Try to get my code from prima games
Prima tells me that they are out of codes and I must email their support team
Email
Wait 24 hours
Get new code
Get all my DLC installed.
Get all my extra content installed
Play game.

Yeah, I wasted like 3 days trying to get all the content that I pre ordered, however prima was really cool about it and gave me the code outright, despite how rude I was.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Burst6 said:
Do you think that everyone in government will work for the benefit of the people?
Can't speak for the guy you're quoting, but I KNOW nobody at EA is working for the benefit of the people, so if there are even a few in Government, it's still a step up.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
So the only people dumb enough to go with Origin are people who buy Madden every year and Battlefield 3 type people.

Well that's f#4ing huge, I think it'll manage to survive, just like Bank of America does. Masochistic idiots are a gigantic resource.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
I don't understand. How can you buy a game and then be denied access to it due to an opinion expressed on an online forum that's not directly related to said purchase of said game?

That doesn't make any sense. The two are completely unrelated things. This feels like a direct violation of human rights.

No wander a growing number of people pirate games JUST to avoid this kind of treatment.

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
Haven't bought a game from EA in years. Anything I do buy is used. Suck it EA! Sorry devs but your publisher is all kinds of evil.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"We have listened to our customers and are planning a policy update which will include more equitable rules on suspensions - we want to make sure the time fits the crime,"
What a load of crap. There is absolutely no circumstance in which any "crime" on a forum would justify denying people access to games that they paid for.

This shit is why the last EA game I hope to ever buy is Mass Effect 3. It won't be that hard, because aside from that end of Shepard's story in ME3 and their running the Command & Conquer series into the ground with #4, EA no longer publishes a damn thing I want to play anyway.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Though honestly, I'm all for just starving Origins in general, letting it flop about in its own filth before finally suffocating in it. Though... I think The Old Republic is attached to Origin, so... might not be too easy then.
TOR can be purchased digitally through Origin, but it's not required to log in or play. Bioware likes to make that clear. I sense even they don't want to deal with gamer aggro surrounding Origin.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Sylveria said:
Don't buy games from EA. They hate you and will screw you at every opportunity.
I feel old. I remember when EA was a quality publisher that put out nothing but quality products. What the damn happened?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Golly EA, I hope you're prepared for a class action lawsuit if you don't get this bullshit ironed out. There may be a clause in your TOS you think "magically" absolves you of class action lawsuits, but assure you the American justice system will have a slightly different take on the matter. Your network might be covered, but there is a clear difference between the service you provide and the content your customers purchase.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
jeez. another reason to avoid EA/Origin like the plague.

It occurs to me that if people keep buying their stuff then they've no reason to change, however wrong they may be or how loudly we complain.