"Quit Facebook Day" Flops

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
...there was a Quit Facebook day?

Thing is though, i probably would've benefitted from not going on for a day.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
I made an account on FaceBook back when MySpace was still the dominant social network site. I logged in twice or something, then I deleted it. I don't want to use social networking out of principle, I don't think I should support something that aids things like gossip and exposure of private lives.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Good thing I never ever bought into the Facebook fad, want contact with people? I wonder what's wrong with a phone.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
CloggedDonkey said:
Okay, does the escapist get kickbacks every time it mentions farmville?

OT: I expected it wouldn't do to well when I first heard about it, just the fact that there where too many people to do a dent.
this comment has nothing to to with this discussion. dude i think ur avatar is epic

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
The main reason it flopped was lack of publicity. I know of Facebook's continuos privacy problems and I can understand a rise of quitters, but I have never heard of this until now.

Well I sort of participated. I haven't been on my Facebook account in over four monthes.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
twaddle said:
CloggedDonkey said:
Okay, does the escapist get kickbacks every time it mentions farmville?

OT: I expected it wouldn't do to well when I first heard about it, just the fact that there where too many people to do a dent.
this comment has nothing to to with this discussion. dude i think ur avatar is epic
Thanks, it's from a webcomic called XKCD.

[link]http://store.xkcd.com/[/link]

about half way down, the shirt called "Stand Back (Science)".

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
I heard of "Quit Facebook" day just yesterday, my sister mentioned it, but, I never signed up to facebook or any of those sites, I find them useless and don't need to go on such sites.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I have a facebook i'll admit that. However i'm rarely on that account mainly because I'm here every day and the escapist always takes up my internet time so even if this day was advertised somewhere i wouldn't have known about it.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I've not got facebook, i'm just that good at quitting I don't need to start ;D

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
Why would I quit Facebook for a day when I have the cognitive capacity to change the privacy settings on my account AND more importantly realise that it would be a bad idea to put sensitive information up there in the first place?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Lol, I had no idea it was, otherwise I would have considered it. Very briefly, as I use it to promote shows for my band with quite a bit of success. But the thought would have lingered for a few seconds, this I know.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Well I would say the logic is, if you want to quit, do, you don't need a special day to do so. If you don't like there privacy policies then you can quit any time, I see no reason you'd have to wait for a specific day to do so.

Note here that I don't actually have a facebook account, so my reasoning is secondhand.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
I'm not quitting Facebook for it but if the #Donaldforspiderman thing works, I'm quitting life in general.

As for the privacy thing on FB, it only has what you give out. If you don't want people to know where you are or what you are doing, don't post it. If you want to set something up with someone on there message them, don't make a wall post. I haven't been using it very long, but I have used it to touch, I mean get in touch with a lot of girls I haven't seen since High School.

Then again, by blaming Facebook, the people involved don't have to take any responsibility for their actions which fits in perfect with people today.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe...They will never give up facebook! It is there crack to fuel the addicition...after all what else would they do with there time other than talking about meaningless stuff, and planting crops!?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
If i'd have known in advance i would have quit by now ;D

I'd do it right now, but that'd require me to log into facebook and i really can't be bothered. I never use the thing, it's just an annoyance that spams me with emails because 1000 people i don't know think i want to be their friend.