Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road

Courier: "I still don't understand - why are you doing this?"

Ulysses: "You answered your own question. And you'll die with that question on your lips. You don't see, listen - even if it's all around you, no matter if I nailed it into your head like a gift from Caesar.

You brought the Divide to life, Courier. You walked the road. Brought the Bear, then the Bull, brought me, following your tracks. And when I saw the Divide you made, I saw a second chance, a new way of thinking. My world - no longer the East. Then you brought the West in that package. Destroyed it all. Nearly killed me, flesh and spirit.

You destroyed something larger than the Bear, greater than the Bull. And even when you could have turned away, you brought it again, in that machine. You destroyed a nation taking its first breath. A place that could have been my home. Now, I'll destroy yours."

Lonesome Road - Epilogie

"The lights flickered across the Divide, reminders that the Old World histories persist, and find meaning in the present.

It is said that war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road has reached its end."

Ulysses Final Message

"This world, I've walked a good part of it... I stopped only because of you. What you did - gave me pause. Long ago, I crossed the Colorado, the first among the Legion to see Hoover Dam in all its glory... an Old World wall, yet bridging two sides. And beyond it, a symbol of a two-headed Bear, an idea great enough to challange Caesar himself. Might kill him, taking it, whether he won or lost. The Bull needs to fight, needs the challenge, without it... it falters, dies in the dust. Might be a lesson there, in you and me. Leave the thought behind the message to you. My message is this - the destruction has been wrought, at the Divide - or elsewhere, if you couldn't stop me... It can happen again. It will keep happening. If war doesn't change, men must change, and so must their symbols. Even if it is nothing at all, know what you follow, Courier... just as I followed you, to the end. Whatever your symbol... carry it on your back, and wear it proudly when you stand at Hoover Dam."

(As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of New Vegas.)

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
"Was it red-red-green, or red-green-red?" -Scorch, Republic Commando

"Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, then there's something you don't know." Foaly, Artemis Fowl.

"According to some, 2 heroic deaths are admirable things. I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking.

2 Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind." Bartimaeus, Bartimaeus Trilogy
You're the only person I've yet to find that has read one or both of those. Thank you.

For the thread, these are all from The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

"Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent." -Richard
"There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people." -Zedd
"I fear no secret of a person I trust, and he has no need to fear mine. It is part of being friends." -Zedd
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." -Richard
"It does the sheep no good to preach the goodness of a diet of grass, if the wolves are of a different mind." - Nathan Rahl
"If the road is easy, you're likely going the wrong way." -Richard
"Everything is valuable under the right conditions. To a man dying of thirst, water be more precious than gold. To a drowning man, water be of little worth and great trouble." - Adie
"Only those you trust can betray you." - Nathan Rahl

blueshark217

Aug 15, 2009
"But there is only one truth that is your truth. That's the one that's formed by whatever point of view that you chose to view it from. It's a revised perception that protects you."

Neon Genesis Evangelion, final episode. Im not sure who said it cause the main character was having an existential breakdown in his head, and one of the voices in his head said it.

Chanel Tompkins

Nov 8, 2011
"We do have a lot in common. The same Earth, the same air, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of always looking at what's different... well, who knows?" -Meowth, Pokemon the First Movie
Well said sir, well said. Never expected a life lesson from a talking cat, but there you go.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
"I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

This has probably been given before, but but this line really, really stuck with me. It really drove home for me what a wise soul Gandalf was.

Zorpheus

Aug 19, 2009
All these video game quotes...

"Stop thinking about the problem, and think about the solution." - Paraphrased from Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth

This is actually great advice that a whole bunch of drama queens who lurk online should take into consideration.

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted. To say nothing is true means that the foundations of society are fleeting and fragile, that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted means that we must be the architects of our own actions, and live with the consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

- Ezio Auditore, from the Assassin's Creed franchise.

I think this is the most important quote in the entire series of Assassin's Creed. It shows that Ezio has matured as an assassin and understands the true meaning of the creed and has risen above the conflict between the Assassins and the Templars. He realizes all of the power struggles in the series are pointless, no person or society can tell you what the right thing to do is as you have to make that decision for yourself.

Trillovinum

Dec 15, 2010
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you"
"Organics do not CHOOSE to fear us, it is a function of your hardware"
- Legion, from an old Mass effect 2 trailer.

"Your technology is based on that of the mass relays, OUR technology. By using it, your society develops along the paths we desire"
"Your words are as empty as your future"
"The cycle has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Organic civilizations rise, evolve,advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished"
"Reaper? A label created by the Protheans to give voice to their destruction. In the end, what they choose to call us, is irrelevant. We simply...are."
"We have no beginning. We have no end. We are infinite. Millions of years after your civilization have been eradicated and forgotten, we will endure"
-Sovereign, a reaper from Mass effect.

"Human, you've changed nothing. Your species has the attention of those infinitely your greater"
"You have failed. We will find another way. Releasing control"
"Your fight against inevitability, DUST struggling against cosmic winds"
"Know this as you die in vane, your time WILL come, your species WILL fall. Prepare yourself for the arrival..."
-Harbinger, another reaper from Mass effect 2
This, exactly... is why I was so disapointed that there were no reapers to talk to in ME3...

That and the fact that the citadel just gets captured and dragged to earth with no explanation whatsoever on the fate of its defenders and the millions of civilians on board. (Conrad Verner, Bailey, Aria, the council,...) I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned these before... or is it just because of the mess that the last ten minutes were?

EDIT: oh and to add my own quote;

-"We use it to smuggle rations, weapons,..."
-"Basically everything the UNSC considers contraband?"
-"Basically."

(I find myself using the word 'basically' more often than I should and nearly always in that tone.)

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
"I am alpha and omega, the beginning and the end, I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." - Dad from Fallout 3

So many meanings...

"Who are you, that you do not know your history?."
"Burn away the flags. Begin again." - Ulysses from New Vegas

Also, from GTA IV

Niko - Capitalism is a dirty buisness
Roman - Like war?
Niko - ...not exactly

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Trillovinum said:
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you"
"Organics do not CHOOSE to fear us, it is a function of your hardware"
- Legion, from an old Mass effect 2 trailer.

"Your technology is based on that of the mass relays, OUR technology. By using it, your society develops along the paths we desire"
"Your words are as empty as your future"
"The cycle has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Organic civilizations rise, evolve,advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished"
"Reaper? A label created by the Protheans to give voice to their destruction. In the end, what they choose to call us, is irrelevant. We simply...are."
"We have no beginning. We have no end. We are infinite. Millions of years after your civilization have been eradicated and forgotten, we will endure"
-Sovereign, a reaper from Mass effect.

"Human, you've changed nothing. Your species has the attention of those infinitely your greater"
"You have failed. We will find another way. Releasing control"
"Your fight against inevitability, DUST struggling against cosmic winds"
"Know this as you die in vane, your time WILL come, your species WILL fall. Prepare yourself for the arrival..."
-Harbinger, another reaper from Mass effect 2
This, exactly... is why I was so disapointed that there were no reapers to talk to in ME3...
There is the one reaper destroyer that you speak to on Rannoch.

But other than that yes I totally agree, another verbal confrontation with harbinger would have been awesome.

Also about the fate of the people on the citadel after it is captured, well I can only assume that they all died or some got evacuated. I can also only assume that every living being in the galaxy is dead now that the relays exploded.

dayjack01

Aug 19, 2010
Okay 2

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
Ork Warboss
live by this phrase everyday

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

The Sith code as Darth Bane taught it
I follow most of the code part from the force bit

ChadSexington

Apr 14, 2011
I knew this bloke once, right and he used to masturbate so much that he grew very fond of his hand. So much so, that he began to talk to it and he put a little face on it and he called it Muriel and after a while Muriel began to talk back to him. He would get her all doled up in make up and specially made little clothes and at night she'd go down and make intense, mad, passionate love to him. Anyway, one night about three am he wakes up in a cold sweat and hears all this panting and moaning and groaning coming from the next door neighbours apartment. He looks down at his hand, there's nothing there. Its gone. Its just this bloodied stump. So he staggers out into the hallway and he sees that the next door neighbour's doors is wide open. So he pops his head in and what does he see, on the bed, his hand, Muriel, all dressed up to the nines, make up on, going down on the next door neighbour.It's a true story.

Danny from He Died With A Felafel In His Hand.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
"We can't allow sentimentalism, to interfere with the growth of scientific knowledge." - Doctor Kensaku Ijuin in the movie Godzilla vs Destroyah.

I used this quote to conclude an essay once. I've always wanted to hear this quote played when you discover the scientific method in Civ V.

unreal51

Nov 13, 2011
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives

~Ned Stark

that wasn't really the case though with Arya