Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
onewheeled999 said:
It's not exact, but it's something along these lines..

"What makes you think humans can help? They haven't even figured out their own religion."
-Gatatog Uvenk (Tuchanka, Mass Effect 2)
Actually, that's a quote from an asari police officer in Illium, before going to the crime scene when you meet Samara.

OT:
I'm going to say the obvious one. Would you kindly guess what is it, like a good slave?

SpadeJester

Apr 4, 2009
"If I fail to offer myself, we will surely be overrun. My fate would be the same."
Selfless Cathar
Magic the Gathering

"As long as we can utter a prayer or lift a weapon, we have the power to fight back."
?Thalia, Knight-Cathar
Magic the Gathering

"I wish my work could shelter everyone, yet I pray we are never so few that it does."
Gavony Ironwright
Magic the Gathering

"Thraben is our home and I will not see it fall to this unhallowed horde."
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
Magic the Gathering

I just can't but love the humans in the Innistrad block.

and for the actual video game quote:
Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.

Only by allowing strangers in, we can find new ways to BE ourselves.

both are from The World Ends With You... those two quotes really changed how I look at things.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Raven said:
"You can't predict how people will act... But you can change how you'll respond... " - Commander Shepard

This is probably one of the wisest things I've ever heard in a videogame and has given me pause for thought many a time over the years.
When does s/he say that?

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
soren7550 said:
Raven said:
"You can't predict how people will act... But you can change how you'll respond... " - Commander Shepard

This is probably one of the wisest things I've ever heard in a videogame and has given me pause for thought many a time over the years.
When does s/he say that?
At the end of Garrus's side quest in Mass Effect 1. You must take Garrus with you and choose to let Dr Saleon live.

Doing this alters some of Garrus's dialogue in the other games too I'm told?

Vulkan227

Feb 9, 2012
"................"
-Gordon Freeman, Half Life

"War, war never changes"
-Narrator, Fallout

May 29, 2011
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! -Warhammer 40k

And the one guy who could threaten us lives in another country and isn't in the slightest bit intrested in our stupid operation -FUCK THAT, lets go shoot at him! -From a zero punctuation review, technically said by a fictional character.

VEGETA! What does the scanner say about his power level?
It's over NINE THOUSAND!
WHAT!? NINE THOUSAND? THERE'S NO WAY THAT CAN BE RIGHT -Dragon Ball Z

I need a bigger fucking gun -The salvation war

I regret to report that I am no longer fit for duty... -Random hobgoblin after saving his commander from a boulder, the order of the stick

And how the FUCK has no one said this yet: The cake is a lie -Portal

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."

- Angela Orosco, Silent Hill 2

"Monsters? They look like MONSTERS to you?"

- Brother Vincent, Silent Hill 3

"My name is Oerba Dia Vanille. I'm a L'Cie, from Gran Pulse, and to everyone on Cocoon... Evil. Shoot me! For your son!"

- Vanille, Final Fantasy 13

"Bella, it's mummy. I came to get you!"

- Zombie Melissa, Siren Bloodcurse

Totes

Sep 22, 2011
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world" - Gman

Ihniwid

Nov 8, 2010
"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is there is no mystery."

- Judge Holden, Blood Meridian

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
"It is the folly of men to believe that they are great players on the stage of history, that their actions might affect the grand procession that is the passage of time. It is an insulating conceit a powerful man might clasp tight to his bosom that he might sleep away the night, safe in the knowledge that, but for his presence, the world would not turn, the mountains would crumble and the seas dry up. But in the remembrance of history has taught us anything, it is that, in time, all things wll pass. Unnumbered civilisations before ours are naught but dust and bones, and the greatest heroes of their age are forgotten legends. No man lives forever and even as memory fades, so too will any remembrance of him.It is a universal truth and an unavoidable law that cannot be denied, despite the protestations of the vain, the arrogant and the tyrannical."

-From one of the Horus Heresy books

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
"Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me that believes in you!"
God damn is it cheesy but I love it.

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
JamesStone said:
onewheeled999 said:
It's not exact, but it's something along these lines..

"What makes you think humans can help? They haven't even figured out their own religion."
-Gatatog Uvenk (Tuchanka, Mass Effect 2)
Actually, that's a quote from an asari police officer in Illium, before going to the crime scene when you meet Samara.
Really? Damn, I could have sworn it was on Tuchanka. Oh well, good eye.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
"Perhaps it is man who should rule the galaxy, man, whose lives are so short, and whose ambitions not so grand..."

Corax, Primarch of the Raven Guard

"We determine the guilty, we decide the punishment"

Oath of the Adeptus Arbites

"Sometimes, the only victory that can be claimed is assuring that your opponent does not succeed..."

The Emperor of Mankind

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole COUNTRY decides that something wrong is something right.

This nation was founded on one principle above all else- The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or consequences.

When the mob & press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell them all- 'NO. YOU MOVE.'"

-Captain America.

Rai^3

Jul 25, 2009
Not a game, but there's one line from Orson Scott Card's Speaker for the Dead that got me to tear up:
"We don't want to be there first. We want to be there too."

Also, VAE VICTIS!

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Cipher1 said:
"You keep your head down, you get on with it and then you die... if your lucky"
Ergh, I know that quote but I can't think of where it's from and it's bugging me, where is that quote from?

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
It's not really a line, but a full conversation. But Death from the Discworld books is one of my favorite characters of all time and this is one of the big reasons why. It sums up human nature pretty well.

?All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little?"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET?Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME... SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point?"

MY POINT EXACTLY.?