R.I.P Hitman series

Blondi3

Sep 12, 2008
veum said:
snip
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
Because some games are very close to our hearts and we are worried (yes I agree we sometimes overreact) but we usually have valid reasons, so many gaming series have gone down the drain because the devs think they have found new ways to attract new customers, which very often instead alienates their core audience and fans who bought the previous games which then results in bad sales and the entire series being scrapped.

Maybe I'm overreacting and reading to much into the interview but the fact is that I have seen this so many times before, interviews with devs that say stuff like "we have made it more accessible" "we have streamlined the player experience" etc etc... Which usually are just words for "we have removed all that was fun and challenging in the previous titles and replaced it with press X not to die"
Basically what he said. They could turn this into a positive and improve the game but if we're supposed to take anything from recent trends it won't. Still, we'll have to just wait and see.

theklng

May 1, 2008
The Apothecarry said:
The modern gaming audience, myself included, is too dumb to figure anything out. For those of you who have played Portal 2, you are officially smarter than me.
not only that, but apothecary is spelled with 1 'r'

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
Fuck the fans, I remember Bioware listened to the fans after Mass Effect 1, and although yes, Mass Effect 2 is clearly better in most aspects, the things it failed at (Loading screens, lack of MAKO, much smaller planets so people didn't have to travel so much, ect) were because people like you exaggerative minor issues which cause developers (the ones who know what they are doing) to change minor crap and turn it in to a significant problem. These guys are making the game how they want to make it, and every single time they did it before, it worked. Chances are you're not a dev, and you probably don't know what actually makes a good game good. Don't go into rage mode the moment some of the good guys in the industry let you know what's going on because chances are, it will be a good thing.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i wonder if the op reacts the same way when they change the recipe of his favorite cereal or snack. "whaaat?! it was good the way it was, now im not gonna eat it anymore, despite the fact that i have no idea how the new recipe tastes!"

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
00slash00 said:
i wonder if the op reacts the same way when they change the recipe of his favorite cereal or snack. "whaaat?! it was good the way it was, now im not gonna eat it anymore, despite the fact that i have no idea how the new recipe tastes!"
He probably cried a little; the food isn't going to be hardcore anymore.

veum said:
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
veum said:
Today I cried a little after reading this interview.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/new-game-engine-brings-hitman-absolution-to-the-masses/

Why do they have to go and fuck up one of the best gaming series of all time. I can already see the dumbed down version with quicktime events and fancy animated action scenes... The staying true to "hardcore fans" is probably an option that turns off the "tooltips".

Don't they understand the whole charm of the previous hitman games was the fucking difficulty level and the fact that you had to figure out pretty much everything yourself.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
oh for the love of God

Why the hell do people react like this?

When did the gaming community become this pathetic?
Because some games are very close to our hearts and we are worried (yes I agree we sometimes overreact) but we usually have valid reasons, so many gaming series have gone down the drain because the devs think they have found new ways to attract new customers, which very often instead alienates their core audience and fans who bought the previous games which then results in bad sales and the entire series being scrapped.

Maybe I'm overreacting and reading to much into the interview but the fact is that I have seen this so many times before, interviews with devs that say stuff like "we have made it more accessible" "we have streamlined the player experience" etc etc... Which usually are just words for "we have removed all that was fun and challenging in the previous titles and replaced it with press X not to die"
Can you give me some examples?

Edit: Not examples of "dumbed-down games", but when there has been a similar article to this and then the devs have produced a "dumbed-down game" which has been an inferior one to the first.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
veum said:
Today I cried a little after reading this interview.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/new-game-engine-brings-hitman-absolution-to-the-masses/

Why do they have to go and fuck up one of the best gaming series of all time. I can already see the dumbed down version with quicktime events and fancy animated action scenes... The staying true to "hardcore fans" is probably an option that turns off the "tooltips".

Don't they understand the whole charm of the previous hitman games was the fucking difficulty level and the fact that you had to figure out pretty much everything yourself.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
oh for the love of God

Why the hell do people react like this?

When did the gaming community become this pathetic?
Oh man, I thought this too. I mean what the hell guys, I see nothing in that article that = DUMBING DOWN

Besides, it wasn't like the past games were so hard, imo. I mean, take the silenced smg to a mission, if you fuck up, who cares, shoot back.

It was only doing it perfectly that was hard. which is true for any game

distended

Oct 15, 2010
?If you attack and enemy from any angle, than we?re able to have them fight back..."

Who wrote this article, a fucking 8 year old? Half of it was incoherent or incohesive.

?Everything in the game now is based on real-time feedback within the game engine,? said Blystad. ?Every action is updating in real-time, which is a change from how we worked before."

This is code/babble for: "We haven't changed shit, but we're gonna use the word "real-time" a lot to make it seem like cutting edge technology."

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I will not deny not having too much of a spot for the Hitman series, but it was good to have a game just dump you in somewhere and go "here you go, there's one guy in here to kill. Have at it!".

It just lets you actually use your brain and your own skill, cunning and intellect to figure stuff out. Yes that meant they were difficult, but that's just because a lot of gamers are Call of Duty-playing, sherbert-snorting hyperactives with ADD who can't focus on anything for 5 seconds unless it explodes, dances, or both.

Dumbing down Hitman games to make them more action-oriented and fit those kind of gamers more isn't just a shot to the foot. It's a shot to the foot with a grenade launcher. It won't leave the next game hobbling, it'll leave it using its one still-connected arm to drag it's mangled, pulped-up corpse into a nearby gutter to live out its last precious moments in agony and humiliation.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
'Too hard'.. what the fuck.

It was hard if you wanted to do it perfectly. That's part of the point of doing something perfectly. If you got frustrated or bored, you could just walk through the levels killing everything with a pulse with your ridiculous silenced shotgun like Anton Chigurh on steroids. Even blood money (arguably the stealthiest of the lot) would actually not penalize you very much for doing so as long as you left no witnesses.

Stealth games require tension to be effective. Tension requires a reasonable degree of risk. Counting the seconds it takes to drag an unconscious body to a dumpster before his friend turns around and notices you, thus destroying any hope of a perfect rating, that's tension. Being able to just shoot them both with no penalty is not. Yes, you'd be frustrated sometimes, but you could always go on an epic massacre to calm down and then come back and retry for the perfect score later. It was a strong formula the potential of which had been far from exhausted (since it only came close to any degree of perfection with Blood Money), I don't understand why a developer would want to walk away from that..

..other than the guaranteed pile of money to be had in selling the familiar Hitman world of blood and titties to a market of ritalin poppers.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
theklng said:
The Apothecarry said:
The modern gaming audience, myself included, is too dumb to figure anything out. For those of you who have played Portal 2, you are officially smarter than me.
not only that, but apothecary is spelled with 1 'r'
That's what I get for forgetting to proofread before hitting "Accept."

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
The Apothecarry said:
The new more mainstream audiences of games have certainly affected games difficulty. I don't want Ninja Gaiden or Totally realistic shooters but the Valve testers seemed to be pretty slow according to the Portal 2 commentary, Making Valve change many aspects of the game.

Call me pessimistic but as consoles develop simpler forms of controlling their audiences widen and crap for pregnant mothers and 4 year old girls gets made instead of say a real game.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
This is kinda why main stream gaming can cause problems for gaming. They dumb them down to make more people enjoy them, then hitting that niche of fans (This is why I love Atlus and NIS).

Gotterdammerung

Jan 13, 2011
I dunno. Maybe it'll be a breath of fresh air for the Hitman Series.

I mean, take Deus Ex. Deus Ex 2 tried to be like 1 too much, and failed for it (oh god, the coffee conspiracy...)however, Deus Ex 3 looks a lot better, even though the original press releases seemed disappointing, talking about cover-based shooting and regenerating health, both of which have been implemented cleverly, and actually enhance the game, instead of conforming to the stereotype.

The again, I might just be too optimistic, and it'll be the train wreck everyone says it's going to be, based off that one press release...

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Press release is hard to understand shit all really, so I can't pass judgement/opinion on that article whatsoever.

The things I HOPE will stay the same are:
1) Great stories behind almost every single contract
2) Good stealth mechanics, and multiple ways to get the perfect, solitary kill (whoever says they are broken/unrealistic whatever is probably just impatient)
3) Discovering crazy brave paths through the level, to get to your objective and out again
4) Rewarding feeling for getting the Stealth Assassin rating

If they put in checkpoint systems or some QTE or whatever crap I will be disappointed. So far, the movie has done more damage than this sequel possibly could I think...

My top 3 greatest moments in the Hitman series
-Stealthing through the snow, underground tunnels, into a Japanese castle fortress, all the way UP the castle pasts ninjas in rafters and lasers and metal detectors, RIGHT into the shoguns chamber, simply bopping him on the head with my MP5, sneaking out a window, waiting on a roof till he sprints to his chopper while guards look for me, while he takes off I detonate a C4 planted on it earlier.

- Dropping from a ledge right behind a guard who walked into a room and swiftly going around a corner out the door before he realizes I was just in that room with him.

- Setting off a fire alarm with a smoke grenade down a laundry chute, stealing a firemans outfit (complete with axe), running through metal detector past security who thought I was a fireman, and down into the highly-secured server room to execute my target with axe. And calmly walking out of the building (the Twin Towers of Malaysia).

What an epic series. Oh, and who could forget shooting out the bottom of the glass hot tub overhanging the mountain. Even if you killed the beauties in it plus your target, you still got Stealth Assassin as it was considered to made look like an "accident" XD

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Yet chances are you're going to buy it anyway, complain about all the little changes made, but still put a hefty amount of hours into it regardless. The only downside is we're going to have to listen to it when that time comes... *sigh*

So many sodding gamers complain about the lack of variation between games, but whenever a company tries to add just that, they have to pull teeth to get their core demographic to even acknowledge the insufferable game.

Oh, you want variation, but would rather companies leave your favorite titles alone and make new games with said variations? This is why we have halo 17, CoD35, 97 WoW clones, and a partridge in a freaking pear tree... 6!

Games are a mess these days... So many people have speculations as to why... Bigger budgets, harder to produce because of graphics etc etc, but no one seems to acknowledge just how demanding the gaming community has become, and that no matter WHAT decision a company decides to make on a game, there will always be some one who's going to see it as the end of the world and jump out a high window.

They can't win, and because they can never win... WE LOSE!