Rage Cuts Single-Player When You Buy It Used

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Rage Cuts Single-Player When You Buy It Used

Rage's creative director has confirmed the lack of always-on DRM, but announced single-player cuts for aftermarket buyers.

In recent years, game publishers have made it no secret that they aren't particularly thrilled with the effect that pirating and used game sales have had on their profit margins. In response, they've stuffed games with everything from online passkeys to the ever-loathed always-on DRM, while gamers have had the privilege of playing guinea pig to whatever solutions they come up with. Bethesda's upcoming post-apocalyptic shooter Rage is no exception, and the game's creative director Tim Willits has confirmed what you'll be missing out on if you fail to buy it with the shrink wrap still in place: an entire section of the game's single-player experience.

Most people who spend a good part of their day on XBL or PSN have probably already run into the online pass, a special one-use code included with your disc that generally unlocks the game's multiplayer mode once you redeem it. What this means, of course, is that if you ever sell that game after growing bored with it, the unlucky sod who gets it next won't be able to pwn his buddies with that overpowered sniper rifle he unlocked by beating the game until he or she drops what's usually another $10 to $20 on a pass of his or her own. Rage won't be protecting its multiplayer, but it will be using a similar idea for part of its single player campaign. The "sewer hatches," an underground tunnel system that will reportedly bring players to new enemies and missions, will only open up with a brand new copy of the game.

When asked about the section that would be cut for aftermarket buyers, Willits said, "[M]ost people never even see it. I can tell you, some people will buy Rage, download that, and still never set foot in those things. They just won't. I think that's fair. It's cool. It's outside the main path. We're not detracting from anything. But I know some consumers, when you can't avoid it, then you get a little touchy subject." Later, in the same interview, he confirmed that while Rage will include its own brand of online pass, it won't include always-on DRM. That doesn't mean we won't see it in other games id Software works on in the future, however, as he did go on to champion its use. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112187-id-Software-Praises-Always-On-in-Diablo-3]

With Rage's plan sounding suspiciously similar to some sort of reverse day-one DLC, there're sure to be more than a handful of gamers who take issue with the decision. While publishers do have to take steps to protect their industry, what I don't understand is why Willits is trying to downplay the fun-factor of running through the sewer missions Rage is locking with an online pass. If it's true that "most people will never even see it" and that skipping the section doesn't "detract" anything from your experience, then why would this actually affect whether or not a gamer buys the game new or used?

Source: Eurogamer.net [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-11-tim-willits-building-rage-and-never-selling-out-interview]

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
that sounds... pretty shitty. now i will probably miss this game entirely. meh

edit:

ToastiestZombie said:
I thought bad things when i read the title, but now I know that its only small parts of the SP taht are being cut for used palyers. In my opinion this is the right way to do DRM.
no, it is not the right way to do DRM, because it is punishing gamers who have still legitimately bought a copy of the game, but could not afford to do so first hand.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I thought bad things when i read the title, but now I know that its only small parts of the SP taht are being cut for used palyers. In my opinion this is the right way to do DRM.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Next time I want to buy a used Mercedes, I'll call official Mercedes dealership to ask them if they're gonna cut my brakes if I don't give them a piece of that action.

This is fuckin' stupid. Used games market should be no different than any other market for used stuff. This kind of behavior can only increase piracy. There should be a law against this.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
correct me if I'm wrong but won't pirates hack the game anyway so you get the full single player portion? If that is not true then this makes sense. If a pirated version is available though that is better then what you can get from a used version aren't they shooting themselves in the foot?

I think they would be better off getting some type of % of sales on used games (from major retailers at least). Perhaps 10% of the value of any used game sale should go to the original company that produced it.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Umm... they are actually "locking" parts of the single player for used copies? Thats new... not to good, but new.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I had a big diatribe here... but in the end it doesn't really matter all that much. Rage doesn't look like anything earth shattering, and I play games such as this exclusively on the PC, so I couldn't buy it used if I wanted to. Part of me still hates id for agreeing that always on DRM is a good idea. I may buy this game, I may not. Time will tell since there are so many good games coming out.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, it's a good thing I'll be buying it New. At some point. Better not be anything TOO good in those hatches. Or a fucking LOST reference.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
If you buy it used, you ain't supporting the developers, just like the pirates do. Don't see anything wrong with it, as long as this new little feature doesn't affect the legit buyers.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Oh, god forbid we lose access to a sewer level; that's the sort of fresh and innovative content that I've been waiting for in this genre. I better buy it new.

]DustArma[

Mar 11, 2011
Welp, that settles it, Tim Willits is an ass.

I still have all my respect for Carmack though, that guy has done a lot.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm normally against all this crap but I'm reading all this with a resounding meh. It only hurts gamestop and ebay so whatever. Pirates get a fully functional game copy. New buyers get a fully functional game copy. 2nd hand buyers are boned but does that really matter at all?

Here is the funny part. How does hurting 2nd hand buyers increase the number of people willing to shell out $60 for your game? Answer is it doesn't. It just means the 2nd hand buyers will play something else. Congrats Bethesda/ID, you pissed some people off, wasted a bunch of development time your little lock, and gained nothing from it.

Whatever makes them feel better I guess.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
ImprovizoR said:
Next time I want to buy a used Mercedes, I'll call official Mercedes dealership to ask them if they're gonna cut my brakes if I don't give them a piece of that action.

This is fuckin' stupid. Stop punishing gamers already. This kind of behavior can only increase piracy.
Or you could, you know, buy the game new and actually support the developer? Rather than the, "Fuck you, I want to buy your game at a cheaper price, and not let any of the money go back to you, and you're a piece of shit for wanting to make a profit off of the sale of one of your games." attitude you've got going now.

I don't get why people are all up in arms about this. RAGE is going to be a massive game by the way all of the news stories seem to say about it, if it's a good game it'll be worth the money to buy it new. If you really want to save money and buy it used, then you're paying for a lesser experience. I see no issue in this.

You really want to blame somebody: Blame GameStop for not giving a portion of their 100% gain on a used game being sold back to the developers.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
suitepee7 said:
it is punishing gamers who have still legitimately bought a copy of the game, but could not afford to do so first hand.
It is also punishing gamers like myself, who, even if I do buy the game new, still cannot access the content, or any DLC, as my internet is not compatible with my Playstation.
So, fuck id (never thought i'd type that). You certainly won't get my money when I buy this game.

EDIT: Although, it doesn't seem like much is getting cut, but if those are some of the best bits of the game, it's a pretty stupid decision.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
If that's the case, I hope Rage bombs hard. To rip people off like that is unconscionable.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
If they wanted to add something like this they should've just locked out the online factor into a pass since it's costing them to keep servers maints and running. Locking out single player gameplay is just stupid, even if it isn't something that is part of the main quests.