Rage Cuts Single-Player When You Buy It Used

Phantom Echo

Mar 3, 2011
Yeaaaaah... having read this after my reply to Diablo 3's "Always On" DRM... I think it's pretty safe to say that I really am going to be saving a lot of money on games I thought I was going to want to buy.

I don't buy into schemes. I don't buy into Steam, or Origin, or any program that insists I -must- use it in order to play my game. I don't buy games that cut out content when I buy them used. I don't buy games that cut out content if I don't subscribe to some bullshit service I don't want.

If that's the trend of gaming... I think I'm glad I'm a business major.

It means that when the whole market is flooded with this idiotic, shortsighted money-grab practice... I'll be busy designing a company that does things the right way... and people will -love- it.

I don't give a shit about pirates. I don't give a shit about used sales.

If the game is good, people will BUY it... and that's the only goddamn thing that matters.

You guys... man. You're going to make me one very wealthy man.

-Cheers!

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
What if I decide to wait until the price drops? What if I don't buy it for a year and a half? Am I punished for my thrifty ways by not being able to fully upgrade my car? My ammo cap being halved? Do I have to buy a "late to the party" pass for 49.95?

I swear, id Software is coming very, very close to making me sad and angry more times than they've made happy, and considering I grew up on fucking Wolf3D, Doom, and what have you, that's a lot of fuck-ups in recent years.

Bah. I get too pissed about these things.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
so this game sure isnt going to sell well hahahaha wow the company deffinatly just shot themselves in the foot... smooth move.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
Fangobra said:
Why hello gaming industry. My friends All Other Commercial Products and I were just having a Capitalism. Do you care to join us or are you just going to sit in the corner and sulk about how you can't levy enormous taxes on every movement of every instance of your intellectual property?

Grow up. The original author makes no money off second-hand book sales, the original studio makes no money off second-hand dvd sales, the original manufacturer makes no money off second-hand car sales, the original dev makes no money off second-hand game sales. That is the way it works.
That's because other industries have the luxury of having alternate venues to make money.

Movies have theater tickets, DVDs and television syndication
Cars have official used car dealerships
Music has concerts, CD sales, radio and itunes

Meanwhile Games have game sales.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"I think that's fair. It's cool."
You are so lying through your teeth, I hope it really hurts.

A lot of 360 owners don't have the 20 GB needed anyway, so I salute this arse with a collective finger motion.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Game companies have every right to try to protect their share of the market from the dirty scum of GameStop. If you want to save 5 bucks by buying used, then you should expect at least $5 less value out of your product. That's how it works.

If you don't like getting less for paying less, then either buy new or don't buy the game. Simple as that. This doesn't effect me one little bit, because I refuse to give any money to GameStop, because paying $55 for a Used game is absolutely ridiculous, as is getting $10 for trading in a brand fucking new game, which they turn around and sell for $50+.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
It's confirmed. Not buying this game. New or used. id really enjoys shooting itself in the foot these days, huh?

Mxrz

Jul 12, 2010
I wish all these people who whine and pout about this shit because they can't get a simple fucking concept through their heads would actually do as they claim and quit playing games. But this is the internet and pissing and moaning makes people feel important. Anyway. +1 id. You'll get my $39.95 in a couple of months all the same.

Also, GG on the sensationalist headline there, escapist. Stay classy.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Suicidejim said:
I'm obviously some kind of Neanderthal, but I don't have my 360 connected to any kind of internet connection. So even if I buy a lot of these games brand-new, I still lose out on stuff whenever they try the "use this code online to unlock your content" technique. I mean, i know connecting to the net will solve that issue, but I don't feel like I should be punished for not wanting to spend money on a function I have little interest or time for. Perhaps I'm just some Luddite who needs to be drop-kicked into the modern gaming era.
No, the game industry just doesn't care about people like you. There was a time when they wanted you to play their games but that time has passed and now you are a criminal to them and must be monitored or at the very least, have your game checked at the door to ensure you didn't buy it used.

So when the time comes that you can't even play your game without an internet connection (ie, like online activation before you can play or always on DRM), will you do as your told and connect to the internet or will you move on to other, cheaper hobbies?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
G-Force said:
Fangobra said:
Why hello gaming industry. My friends All Other Commercial Products and I were just having a Capitalism. Do you care to join us or are you just going to sit in the corner and sulk about how you can't levy enormous taxes on every movement of every instance of your intellectual property?

Grow up. The original author makes no money off second-hand book sales, the original studio makes no money off second-hand dvd sales, the original manufacturer makes no money off second-hand car sales, the original dev makes no money off second-hand game sales. That is the way it works.
That's because other industries have the luxury of having alternate venues to make money.

1) I don't think the law cares if they can make money in alternate ways. Th First Sale Doctrine doesn't allow for those exceptions.

2) You could go see a movie at the theater and buy the DVD and still spend less than buying one game. CD's are even cheaper. The cars have official dealerships thing is interesting though, why don't the publishers find a creative way to make money from the used market (other than screwing the consumer)? Maybe there should be an EA store where they sell used EA games?

Sorry, not seeing any justification to let the game industry get away with this.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Catalyst6 said:
suitepee7 said:
that sounds... pretty shitty. now i will probably miss this game entirely. meh

edit:

ToastiestZombie said:
I thought bad things when i read the title, but now I know that its only small parts of the SP taht are being cut for used palyers. In my opinion this is the right way to do DRM.
no, it is not the right way to do DRM, because it is punishing gamers who have still legitimately bought a copy of the game, but could not afford to do so first hand.
It's not id's fault that you can't buy their product. I side with the devs on this, as I always do. They're completely in their right to do whatever they can to make sure that they actually get paid for the products they produce.
Oh really? And how do you think retailers get the products in the first place? Most likely, the developers make a profit just by selling it to the retailers, like EVERY OTHER PRODUCT. They don't need that extra 10% that they get for a new buy. Besides, it's not the consumers' job to support the developer. It's the developer's job to make a product that consumers WANT to support.

Do you expect bands to cut out cover songs in their albums for people who buy cd's used? Do you see movies cutting out entire scenes?

There is absolutely no argument that can justify this behavior.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Fidelias said:
Catalyst6 said:
suitepee7 said:
that sounds... pretty shitty. now i will probably miss this game entirely. meh

edit:

ToastiestZombie said:
I thought bad things when i read the title, but now I know that its only small parts of the SP taht are being cut for used palyers. In my opinion this is the right way to do DRM.
no, it is not the right way to do DRM, because it is punishing gamers who have still legitimately bought a copy of the game, but could not afford to do so first hand.
It's not id's fault that you can't buy their product. I side with the devs on this, as I always do. They're completely in their right to do whatever they can to make sure that they actually get paid for the products they produce.
Oh really? And how do you think retailers get the products in the first place? Most likely, the developers make a profit just by selling it to the retailers, like EVERY OTHER PRODUCT. They don't need that extra 10% that they get for a new buy. Besides, it's not the consumers' job to support the developer. It's the developer's job to make a product that consumers WANT to support.

Do you expect bands to cut out cover songs in their albums for people who buy cd's used? Do you see movies cutting out entire scenes?

There is absolutely no argument that can justify this behavior.
Bear in mind that every single time someone buys a game used the company that produced it loses money. There was a potential sale that was squandered on a used game. So they're not losing 10%, they're losing 100% of the potential sale money. I know this exact idea has been said at length, but it's worth repeating. There's no denying it that it takes money away from the company.

As for the other products: While other media aren't really comparable (except movies, etc.) due to the budget and time needed to produce the material, it's still fully within the rights of the people producing those things to try and make sure everyone that consumes their work actually pays for it. It's something that we're moving towards with things like Netflix or the Kindle, people are tying all kinds of media to subscriptions so at least they get a *little* bit of money out of it.

So yes, if bands want to cut out songs for people who will actually pay *them* for the media that they produce, so be it. Movies are the same way. Aftermarket sellers are just parasites.

Don't get me wrong, consumers will complain and moan about it until the end of time. But it's still within the dev's rights to expect payment for their years of hard work.

May 26, 2010
G-Force said:

Lies. Games have franchising, expansion packs and crosses into other media. And what does literature have?

Cornish

Mar 19, 2010
Luckily I'm blessed with flexible ethics...

I'm so tired of all the registration this, limitation that. And to boot, the majority of what is released is drivel. I was sort of looking forward to this, but I suppose it's another no go for me. I suppose I'll buy Samantha Swift instead, the cover is appealing and as far as I read it doesn't have any of the detracting none-sense.

Fangobra said:
Lies. Games have franchising, expansion packs and crosses into other media. And what does literature have?
Literature? Oh, I don't know... Movies, Games, Music, Theatre, Comics... to name a few. Heh.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
Catalyst6 said:
Bear in mind that every single time someone buys a game used the company that produced it loses money.
Wrong. If I can't buy a used game for $10 there is no guarantee I'd buy this game new for $60.

it's still fully within the rights of the people producing those things to try and make sure everyone that consumes their work actually pays for it. It's something that we're moving towards with things like Netflix or the Kindle, people are tying all kinds of media to subscriptions so at least they get a *little* bit of money out of it.
Yeah. Private ownership is so last century.

Aftermarket sellers are just parasites.
You high on something? I've bought and sold a crapload of things on eBay.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
Fangobra said:
G-Force said:

Only AAA game series can afford to have extra merchandise that expands multimedia. What about smaller companies that have titles where you really can't makes quick buck off of merchandising. As for books they have both the physical sale of books as well as seeing electronic versions of themselves which significantly cuts on publishing costs. Gadgets such as the kindle and other electronic readers have been growing steadily popular and now books are going digital to keep with this demand. I also think that one of the reasons why book publishers are not too angry at used book sales is because the used book industry does not take as a huge percentage of the total revenue pie as does the used game market.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
Crono1973 said:
2) You could go see a movie at the theater and buy the DVD and still spend less than buying one game. CD's are even cheaper. The cars have official dealerships thing is interesting though, why don't the publishers find a creative way to make money from the used market (other than screwing the consumer)? Maybe there should be an EA store where they sell used EA games?

Sorry, not seeing any justification to let the game industry get away with this.
Game companies do have their own stores where you can buy their products from them directly and get some sort of order bonus (Like what Capcom did with MvC3) the only problem with them going into the used game market is that Gamestop has already ballooned into a huge multimillion dollar industry and going up against them is just financial suicide. Think of it, why would a customer go to a used game shop that sells only EA games when instead they can go to one of the many Gamestop locations near his area that sell used games from all companies. To my knowledge there's no huge used car dealership that sells vehicles from all makers hence why the used car industry is allowed to compartmentalize itself by company.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
G-Force said:
Crono1973 said:

Game companies do have their own stores where you can buy their products from them directly and get some sort of order bonus (Like what Capcom did with MvC3) the only problem with them going into the used game market is that Gamestop has already ballooned into a huge multimillion dollar industry and going up against them is just financial suicide. Think of it, why would a customer go to a used game shop that sells only EA games when instead they can go to one of the many Gamestop locations near his area that sell used games from all companies. To my knowledge there's no huge used car dealership that sells vehicles from all makers hence why the used car industry is allowed to compartmentalize itself by company.
Pathetic. Just like EA can't set up their own download service because Steam is so big? Let me know when you're finished making excuses for the publishers.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Pathetic. Just like EA can't set up their own download service because Steam is so big? Let me know when you're finished making excuses for the publishers.
Well then, I ask why would you go to an EA used game only dealer? You pitch that and it sounds like you're just making "Gamestop EA edition"

Peter Davis

Jan 12, 2011
lawl im mor likley to pirate it 5 years down the road then ever get the damn thing now. Seriously? restricting the SINGLE PLAYER!? Are they insane, so yeah fuck that.