RAGE Devours Xbox 360 Hard Drives

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Looks like i'll have to take the time to actually use my better 360 hard drive rather than let it gather dust in my drawer.

*sigh* I need to buy a damn transfer kit don't I?

New plan, don't install RAGE and hope it doesn't end too badly

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
similar.squirrel said:
Anyway, can't you use an old external HDD? I'm pretty sure my run-of-the-mill 500gig Western Digital can be used for data storage via the 360, if you format it.
Sadly no you cant even hook up anything else Microsoft made a very console hating system for that stuff and then overcharge dramaticly for there own because you cant use better cheaper ones :/

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I don't have that space, my entire 360 HDD is only 20 gig. Oh well, I'll just get it on PS3, or not at all, I'm not really excited about the new direction for id.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I....still have no idea what the hell the big deal is over this game?

I mean, really, what is it? For the last fucking...since the game got announced actually, I've heard magazines and people fawn over this game, but trying to get a straight answer out of what makes it so great it like trying get bones from a jellyfish.

Nackl of Gilmed

Sep 13, 2010
SteelStallion said:
Sucks for us first release console owners.

My harddrive is 20gb :( , and it only has 11gb free.
I haven't really been up-to-date with consoles since my 360 died sometime two years ago, but I had a feeling that this was weirdly demanding. I'm not really accusing the developers of anything other than optimism, but it seems very likely that this comes back to haunt them.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
aPod said:
SgtFoley said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Catchy Slogan said:
You don't have to install it though, right?
Like I said, it kinda depends on how they structure the game. Given the open-world structure, it's entirely possible you'll have to. Otherwise you'd be switching DVDs every half hour as you wander the world.
Thats definatly a big screw you to everybody who still has their launch consoles with under 20gb hard drives.
Don't be upset at Carmack, this was a big screw you from Microsoft. At least for me and my original 360 hard drive :( and i'm like Mister Beniot the amount they want for a large harddrive is ridonkulous.
No, we have every right to be upset at Carmack. Yet again, he has proved his incompetence as a game designer. Seriously, who the hell thinks 22 GB is an acceptable size for a game? Shit, Eve doesn't even take up that much; my Gary's Mod folder isn't even that big either! For that much data, the game better be 200 hours long otherwise they did some piss poor pre-planning and optimization.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
The harddrive I have is a first gen one so it has pretty low memory capacity

I never install stuff from games unless it's a requirement though.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
I'm getting this for the PC, Yet people better expect a shit load of content. It's something that's expected of evolving content 22gb might not seems as much but if that's after proper compression and optimization it can be even more then you expect.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Feel sorry for the early adopters (the ones whose xbox didn't burst into flame anyway). Xbox fat requires you to buy the MS branded crap in a plastic shell that is a huge markup over retail.

Street prices 250gb 3.5"hd $45, cheapest I could find a 360 fat 250gb hd $125.

The prices on slim HDs are much more reasonable though, $50 on amazon for the 250gb model.

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
This would surely be outrageous if installing 360 games was necessary.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Guess this is the effect of rage being focused on PC devolepment which the devs of rage have not been shy at admitting so far.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
250GB hard drive... oooh yeah... (sorry about bragging its rude)
To bad i'm not interested in this game.
I'm sure you don't HAVE to install it though, might be mistake, sucks if you do.

Must mention though. 20+ GB is even quite steep for me. I have 4 games installed and I'm already down to 190GB or so. But thats including all my saves, custom content and DLC.
20gb for one game, thats alot of space.

Cuddly Knife

May 20, 2009
there has never been a retail game on the 360 that would require an install. It sure isn't about to start with Rage. You all know they sell systems that don't even have the hdd, just the flash on the system? Bunch of ignorance up in here, come on!!!! I expect this out of the PS3 fans, and even some pc fans, but 360 owners this should be common knowledge.

Or this:
eggy32 said:
This would surely be outrageous if installing 360 games was necessary.
And unless something's changed drastically since the last year that I haven't had my PS3, the installs on PS3 multiplat games did very little to improve anything vs the non-installed games on the 360.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Just one thing, "Xbox 360 is the console of choice for the game"? So what, not only are they saying that some 360 owners might not be able to get it (?), they also say that if you're a ps3 gamer then you can also gtfo their game... I just find it very weird, why not just be diplomatic and say "it's still gonna be good", instead of saying that the Ps3 will suck, as some sort of comfort. Ok, if ID don't want me buying the game, then I'm just going to go on and cancel my pre-order of the Ps3 version. Carmack may be some sort of programmer genious but he do not know his way around words, jackass...

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
Well, I own a core console (20 gig) 13 gig of which has become corrupted, the remaining 7 gig is used for game saves and DLC. I have so little space left that I routinely have to delete old game saves to make space for new ones.
This game better play without an install needed, I've never heard of an xbox game needing installing to play, but they make it sound like you do.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Icehearted said:
This is why I hate a multiple SKU system. The Xbox 360 was so badly planned out that it didn't even originally have a HDMI output
It was a bit early in the HDMI stage so the standards we're not as solid yet. See consoles are developed before they are sold this means that the hardware in a console can be effective 1 year older then when it hits the market. So that it didn't had HDMI, at that time not a problem. Now.. yes having HDMI is pretty much expected

Icehearted said:
, but more offensive is the HDD issue.
And there I can fully agree with you "But it is cheaper.."'... seriously it means that games cannot be sure if there is a HDD so eeeh. Eeeh! Not helping!

Icehearted said:
Sure, we can argue Blu-Ray, but a simpler and I think more relevant point would be that we should not have to buy MS branded hard drives, a tactic I remind you allows the to be totally anti-competitive and charge an exorbitant premium for their hardware. This is but another example of how we pay for their greed.
You'll find that you always end up with having to by first party stuff, only a few third party controllers and items have really been that good. For instance that logitech wireless PS2 controller..that one is so good. Oh well. I agree it is pretty freaking high prices for a HDD for the xbox.

Icehearted said:
I own an older core system, the thing regularly crashes when I play on disc, partially because the disc drive itself shudders and rumbles rather violently when in use. Hard drive installs alleviate this problem. this again all because of corner cutting on Microsoft's part resulting in shoddy hardware design and even shoddier QA.
The joy of HDD installations :) it might not make it faster but it certainly makes it all a bit more quiet.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
6037084 said:
22gb dear lord that is so much space /sarcasm
feels good being a part of the PC-gaming master race :p
Hey now there's no need to be so m- *looks at the seventh 360 that died on him* ....I TOTALLY agree. Amen.