RAGE Devours Xbox 360 Hard Drives

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
least it ain't as bad as Age Of Conan... now THAT GAME IS A HARD DRIVE EATER. current installed size 28.6 gb... and the game's not eaven that good... at all... rage looks like it's gonna be fairly sweet. so worth the hard drive sucking-ness of it.

Gyrohelix

Aug 3, 2011
I have a 250 gig internal hard drive, and even i would wait for the PS3 port, because that is BULLSHIT!

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
poppabaggins said:
rossatdi said:
Catchy Slogan said:
You don't have to install it though, right?
Ding ding ding ... we have a winner.

Almost certainly will have relatively marginal impact on gameplay.
Carmack explains a lot about the impact in his video. Playing from the disc will result in severe texture pop-in and and choppier gameplay. I would be willing to put up with that, but it depends on your definition of marginal.
So it will play like a PS2 game then?

I don't own an xbox, so if I play Rage it'll be on the PC. Since I have 1.8 Terrabytes of space, it shouldn't be a problem.

Apr 28, 2008
Vault101 said:
any Idea what the PC specs might be?

if its being released on PS3 I'm tossing up between the two
Zer_ said:
nVidia 8800 or equivalent. (You can play it on a shittier gfx card)
A Core 2 Duo at 2.6ghz (probably a bit more).
2GB of RAM (For Sure)

Don't quote me on the processor speed. The rest I'm quite certain of.
That's what I'd guess as well. Though since this is id, chances are it'll be very well optimized, and run decently on older hardware.

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
I....still have no idea what the hell the big deal is over this game?

I mean, really, what is it? For the last fucking...since the game got announced actually, I've heard magazines and people fawn over this game, but trying to get a straight answer out of what makes it so great it like trying get bones from a jellyfish.

That's because you don't know where to look :)

http://tinyurl.com/rage-megathread

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
Mangue Surfer said:
Wow! I don't have a 22GB game on my PC. Dragon Age O is 15GB and it's the biggest that I have.
It will most probably be 25-30 GB on the PC.

They are still negotating what to do on the PC release.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I will be pissed, but it might be worth it if it means we don't need to change disks.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
But... I only have a 20GB hard drive... Guess I won't be picking this game up then. A shame, I was just beginning to like the look of it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Irridium said:
Vault101 said:
any Idea what the PC specs might be?

if its being released on PS3 I'm tossing up between the two
Zer_ said:
nVidia 8800 or equivalent. (You can play it on a shittier gfx card)
A Core 2 Duo at 2.6ghz (probably a bit more).
2GB of RAM (For Sure)

Don't quote me on the processor speed. The rest I'm quite certain of.
That's what I'd guess as well. Though since this is id, chances are it'll be very well optimized, and run decently on older hardware.
that sounds good, while my computer isnt "top of the line" It only really has problems with stuff that isnt well optimized (like saints row 2 and RFG..same dev too) and even then it works fine...just looks like crap (or a 1 frame per second film)

Im kicking myself because I rushed out and got red faction armageddon on PC before I got my PS3 (Im sure you can see the pattern here) havnt even installed yet..but getting it again for PS3 would feel to wasteful

then with rage...20-30gb space on PC..I dont know

I also hope Deus ex is well optimized (I pre-ordered)

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
For me, this was sort of the last straw.
I want to get Rage, Deus Ex, and Skyrim.
That being said, I don't have enough money (or more like don't want to spend that much money) for all three.
I also have a first gen 360.
So for me, this makes the choice much much easier. Because of this, Rage will be the game that I won't be getting out of the three.
It is kind of a shame, because I thought the game looked like the coolest thing I've ever seen, but this is a big enough issue for me to not want to buy it, despite how amazing it looks.

Ooga600

Mar 27, 2011
The only reason they wouldn't allow partial installs would be if there's going to be more than one or two disc swaps like there were in LA Noire and Mass Effect 2. Hopefully it won't force people to swap discs every time they visit a certain area, or else that could be one more reason to save my money for Dark Souls, BF3, Skyrim, etc.

Jackson Duke

May 2, 2011
lithium.jelly said:
It's only 22Gb. I have some individual files nearly that size. Do 360s require some special proprietary HDD? Or can they just use off-the-shelf drives? I just slapped another two terabytes in my home server and it cost me about $65.

I'm not a console gamer so I don't really know, but can't you just do that?
From what I understand, the PS3 is the only console that allows you to use 3rd party HDDs to their full potential.

Only just recently Microsoft added support for 3rd party HDDs, but only up to 16GB... even if your HDD is a few terabytes it will only allow you to allocate 16GB of space for system use. Before that it was XBOX brand memory or nothing.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Macrobstar said:
geier said:
Oh my....this is an outrage !

Is what i would sayin if i were a console gamer, luckily i have three HDD's in my PC, the smallest is 400GB, second 1TB and a new one 1.5 TB, so...sucks to be YOU !!
I installed a 1TB HD on my ps3 so what you should be saying is sucks to be a 360 gamer
i would love to play this on my 360 but i guess im with you since i have the older one....oh well this is why you buy more then one console:)

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Jackson Duke said:
lithium.jelly said:
It's only 22Gb. I have some individual files nearly that size. Do 360s require some special proprietary HDD? Or can they just use off-the-shelf drives? I just slapped another two terabytes in my home server and it cost me about $65.

I'm not a console gamer so I don't really know, but can't you just do that?
From what I understand, the PS3 is the only console that allows you to use 3rd party HDDs to their full potential.

Only just recently Microsoft added support for 3rd party HDDs, but only up to 16GB... even if your HDD is a few terabytes it will only allow you to allocate 16GB of space for system use. Before that it was XBOX brand memory or nothing.
And people really bought that? No matter how good the lineup of games was, requiring Microsoft's own brand hardware for any upgrades would have been an instant no sale for me. Seriously, people, when it's that obvious a company's going to screw you over you've got to learn to not buy their shit. Otherwise you have nobody to blame but yourselves when you get gouged like this.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks his youtube preview picture is just a lighter shade and a little blood away from making him look like a hungry zombie?

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
ecoho said:
Macrobstar said:
geier said:
Oh my....this is an outrage !

Is what i would sayin if i were a console gamer, luckily i have three HDD's in my PC, the smallest is 400GB, second 1TB and a new one 1.5 TB, so...sucks to be YOU !!
I installed a 1TB HD on my ps3 so what you should be saying is sucks to be a 360 gamer
i would love to play this on my 360 but i guess im with you since i have the older one....oh well this is why you buy more then one console:)
Exactly mate, if you have a PC, 360 and PS3 no matter what you prefer, you can never be disappointed