Rap

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
I will say that there seems to be more people offshooting from the typical "gangsta yo" style of rapping, which i can appreciate.

Still, the Epic Rap Battles of History series on Youtube makes me laugh so hard. The new Clint Eastwood vs Bruce Lee was pretty funny. Still, since this is a gaming site I will link.

Obsideo

Jun 10, 2010
I present to you guys my favorite rapper, Kill Bill:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/476146

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/495524

He's got good flow, good lyrics, and throws in a lot of video game references to his songs.

EDIT: Holy shit, someone ninja'd me. I've never met anyone else that's heard of him.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
How can you say you don't like rap when you haven't even heard the sounds of the greatest lyrical wordsmith, THE BASEDGOD

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Chamillionaire's greatest hits is amazing. I can never remember what the name of it is, but he has a flow where he uses a bunch of classic fairy tales. My favorite rappers are lyricists, they can put it to good use and make a great song, or they can clown around like Mr. Porter in this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnvyrrVP8T4

AwesomeDave

Feb 10, 2011
i really dont like the image built up around rap... and that you cant dislike anything without being called a hater... i like some songs here and there, hopsin is awesome, some of MGK's stuff isnt too bad... but the mainstream stuff is just shit, why do i want to listen to the 349573489759834759th rapper tell me how much better then me he is, because he got lucky enough to make it in music, and has X amount of millions, and X amount of cars? rap was great back in the day when stuff was original, now its just a bunch of repeating pieces of crap who just want their 15 minutes. (this isnt only a rap thing either, pop/techno is the same, they just tend to rub it in your face less)

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
AnarchistFish said:
Okay, this song is quite good.
mjcabooseblu said:

Challenge met.
as is this one. I may have to start looking into more rap now.

I will admit though, looking back, my first post did look kind of douchey. I really have no issues with rap (aside from when idiot neighbors play it loudly with the bass up so high that that's all I can hear), it's just that I've never really bothered looking for any rap that I really like listening to.

sinsfire

Nov 17, 2009
Really 67 posts and no one, not one of you has brought up the Beastie Boys... How is that even possible? I see some older stuff here but still no Beasties, and my mind is blown.

To make the thread more legit I will add the following;

On topic, rap like most all other types of music has its high points and its low points. Part of the accross the board dislike that is shown is usually cultural. People just assume all rap is gangsta and therefore they don't want to listen to it. Like any other form of music you have to dig deeper then just what the mainstream shows. Look at B sides or beyond track 4. You can find that bubblegum pop/rap replaced by some great stuff. (yes i realized that the BB stuff I posted is mostly main stream but I couldn't find a good video of "Posse in Effect")

D-Class 198482

Jul 17, 2012
listen up fuckers lemme tell you a tale
'bout godzilla, he's blowin' up japan today
OT: Because rap is essentially "FUCKBITCHFUCKSHITDRUGS" to a rhythm.

mjcabooseblu

Apr 29, 2011
ohnoitsabear said:
AnarchistFish said:
Okay, this song is quite good.
mjcabooseblu said:

Challenge met.
as is this one. I may have to start looking into more rap now.

I will admit though, looking back, my first post did look kind of douchey. I really have no issues with rap (aside from when idiot neighbors play it loudly with the bass up so high that that's all I can hear), it's just that I've never really bothered looking for any rap that I really like listening to.
Well, you do touch somewhat on a legitimate criticism. Rap is at its best when it has solid backing from instrumentals, lyrical flow that doesn't seem unnatural and disjointed, and a clear message. Parody raps often have all three. However, you can't deny that some rappers, such as Kanye West or Lamar Hall can achieve all three while still being relatively serious.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
I didn't know there was a proper or improper way to listen to rap or anything else, so I'll go with subject matter and public enemy image.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
There's so much shit about, it's easy to overlook the good stuff. Just like any genre, if you look there will be good artists somewhere.
When a rapper can write music without swearing every 5 seconds, I really respect that. (Take note of Nicki Minaj, having an 'explicit' version of every song makes you a shitty songwriter in my opinion).
I'll be honest, I don't care enough about rap to search for it but the artists I like are Eminem, Tupac (Or 2pac???), B.O.B, Kanye West, Cypress Hill (Do they count? Are they Hip-Hop? Their song with Slash and Fergie is AMAZING.) I don't even mind Professor Green and there's probably a few more.
Stuff from the 90s was really good! I love 90s music.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Gah.....so many Youtube videos.....

Use a spoilerbox people! It's not that hard, and makes it a lot easier on tje webpage to load.\

I used to hate rap, but I've gotten into it more and more the past few years, besides the mainstream guys (Kanye, Eminem, Dre, Snoop, etc etc) here's some underground guys I'm digging now.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I dislike rap, it is not soulful enough. So I like Classic R'n'B better. B.B. King, Eric Clapton, ect. Recently I have discover Gnarls Barkley. It is a collaboration between Cee Lo Green and Danger Mouse. Sounds good to listen too. XD
<youtube=MVE75VG90X0>

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
jdogtwodolla said:
4 is really good..I just love Ill mind 5 because its SOOOOO satisfying to see somone rip aparet along of the gangsta stuff and show it for the bullshit it really is

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Dr Pussymagnet said:
How can you say you don't like rap when you haven't even heard the sounds of the greatest lyrical wordsmith, THE BASEDGOD

#BASED #SWAG THANK YOU BASED GOD!
Glad to see I'm not the only based person on the Escapist<3.

Meh, rap music. I listen to The Streets a bit, and there always seems to be rap music playing while smoking drugs with people, but I never have any idea who the artists are haha.
It's okay, I'd just rather listen to other stuff in my own time.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
On the subject of Rap, has anyone ever gone in to a CD store and spotted one of those "Best Rap Artists" collections? Most of the time it has obvious artists like Jay Z, Snoop (animal of his choosing) and at least two white guys.

I always found that strange. Not because of race but because of subject matter. The last one I saw had these guys on it.
I'm not that in to rap so I couldn't tell you if their inclusion was justified or not.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Akala fire in the booth, sometimes i wonder if Noam Chomsky (yes the famous economist/historian) helped write this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEOKgjoxoto

anyone who says hip hop is shallow and shit has now officially been proven wrong.