Rap

Titus Groan

Nov 13, 2012
It's because people don't realize that the point of rap is more often how you say something than what. A sufficiently skilled rapper can rhyme about nearly anything and make it sound compelling. The majority of Wu-Tang verses, for example, are about nothing more than how cool the members of the Clan are. But like a great deal of poetry, the emphasis is on form more than content.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zen Bard said:
On topic...I never really cared for rap because I never really thought it took much skill or talent. But I'm biased since I've been a semi-pro guitarist for a couple of decades. I get the talent it takes to be a bad ass bassist or a dangerous drummer. But I never really thought it took that much skill to talk into a microphone against a sampled beat.

I have since come around.
I WAS about to unleesh the claws for that XD

with any good rap song I'd say 50% of it is production, REALLY good back up beat/music and use of sampling can make even a medicro rapper shine

the other half is flow...its one thing to be able to ryme in time but to really get good flow and make your words come out and melt into the listeners brain

take this for example..the FLOW is just awsome

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Chunga the Great said:
... some songs by Eminem. The rest can go fuck itself.
by the sounds of that there probably quite a bit you could like[

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Love me some Aesop Rock. No rapping about bitches here. Or, at least, very minimal. I find that the underground stuff is infinitely better than the mainstream. Not to sound like a hipster, or anything.

Also gotta mention Common Market & Blue Scholars. They're more hip-hop than rap, but... whatever.

Oct 2, 2012
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
CaptQuakers said:
I am a rap fan and I have often wondered why people seem to have such distaste towards rap music.Is it because of the mainstream rappers who always talk about bitches and money or the fact they have never properly listened to it ? Or is it something I am missing ?

This is just for my own curiosity more than anything else
It sounds childish to me. Same with Country. If a Rapper could make a good song without the use of the same exact sound as their last and without the use of Sexism/Hatespeech, I would be amazed.
No sexism and has to be the exact opposite of a hate speech.
Please share your opinion on it. Oh and if you like/dislike it please tell me why. :)
I didn't mind the lyrics, although the "vocals" (can you even call them that?) were atrocious. The beat wasn't bad either, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The vocals themselves drag the entire song down though.
His voice is a common complaint I get from people. I can see where you're coming from though.

Oct 2, 2012
BarbaricGoose said:
Love me some Aesop Rock. No rapping about bitches here. Or, at least, very minimal. I find that the underground stuff is infinitely better than the mainstream. Not to sound like a hipster, or anything.

Also gotta mention Common Market & Blue Scholars. They're more hip-hop than rap, but... whatever.

Another Aesop ARock fan? Man is it good to see you :D
What do you think about his new album Skelethon?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Beffudled Sheep said:
I couldnt call myself a fan since Ive had very little exposure to his stuff...skelethon is how I know him (interestingly it was a ctually the bizare skeleton on the cover than cought my attention)

I LOVE Zero Dark Thirty....but havnt listened to alot of the rest...I find his flow a bit off at times and his strained sounding vocals don't always do it for me, however I like his stuff...I;d have to give the album a better listen

Shaughn Caso

Mar 29, 2010
I tend to not like rap because of the context the music is in. I don't like listening to people just talking in rhythm about crime or mistreating women or such. I have in the past liked some rap (mostly parody), but overall I can't get behind the genre and it irritates me every time I hear it played. this could also be in part to the fact that I have had issues with the type of people who generally listen to this genre. I personally prefer music that has more of an orchestral feel.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Spot1990 said:
I was wondering when someone would post that. Much love.

I'm not a huge fan of rap, but it's not all bad. The classic stuff like Run DMC or Public Enemy is genuinely awesome. The most rap I tend to listen to are the Slipknot songs in which Corey Taylor raps (and is actually quite good at it. He needs to be less good at stuff, it's not fair) and other crossover stuff, like RAtM. On that note, Hacktivist are actually pretty good, as much as it pains me to admit it.

Oct 2, 2012
Vault101 said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
I couldnt call myself a fan since Ive had very little exposure to his stuff...skelethon is how I know him (interestingly it was a ctually the bizare skeleton on the cover than cought my attention)

I LOVE Zero Dark Thirty....but havnt listened to alot of the rest...I find his flow a bit off at times and his strained sounding vocals don't always do it for me, however I like his stuff...I;d have to give the album a better listen
Zero Dark Thirty is the best on the new album I think. You should definitely check out his older stuff when you get the chance :)

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Tallim said:
The amusing thing here is that the song Fighting Trousers (see up there ^) is actually a song about Mr B.........
I know, I was trying to start a feud with Daystar Clarion hoping it'd escalate like the one between 2Pac and The Notorious B.I.G. Seems he didn't want to take the bait though...

BTW, have you seen their "Chap off" from 2011?

nWax

Mar 27, 2012
Here is some Rap everyone can appreciate, Juice Media's Rap News.
Intelligent, Humorous, and Informative.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
CaptQuakers said:
I am a rap fan and I have often wondered why people seem to have such distaste towards rap music.Is it because of the mainstream rappers who always talk about bitches and money or the fact they have never properly listened to it ? Or is it something I am missing ?

People LOVE to hate on anything and everything. That is legitimately it. There is no reason why any one genre of music is strictly better than another and anyone who thinks so is a pretentious closed-minded twat.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
lemby117 said:
sextus the crazy said:
It's the mainstream stuff. It's a terrible representative of good rap. Personally, I like the more political stuff. Protest music.

I love you for bringing up lowkey
flarty said:
Akala fire in the booth, sometimes i wonder if Noam Chomsky (yes the famous economist/historian) helped write this

anyone who says hip hop is shallow and shit has now officially been proven wrong.
And I love you for bringing up Akala

I will now finish this list of brilliant UK rappers with Mic Righteous
True, these 3 should be dominating hip hop, shame people seem to be interested in rappers chat about materialism.

Spot1990 said:
CaptQuakers said:

It sounds childish to me. Same with Country. If a Rapper could make a good song without the use of the same exact sound as their last and without the use of Sexism/Hatespeech, I would be amazed.
Challenge accepted

Three singles from their first album that do not sound the same, with no sexism or hate speech.

Meet both them fellas a couples years back when they were playing Warwick uni, one of the best gigs ive been to and nice ppl to boot, the missus is friends with dan le sac on facebook to and speaks to him on a regular basis, proper down to earth geezer

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
I've tried listening to it, tried hard. Even checked out a couple of the recommendations in this thread. The problem remains the same as it always has, it does nothing for me. I get nothing out of it, no enjoyment or feelings.

Not saying it's the genres fault, it's a preference thing.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
To me rapping isn't singing, and 99% of the time the music generated is by electronic means.

I will agree that rapping IS a skill which takes practice, talent or a combination of both. It's just that I don't consider it singing, musical, melodious, (or whatever you want to call it) at all. It stirs no feelings inside me like good music does.

The subject matter and the kind of culture that goes with rapping is the nail in the coffin.

I listen to music to hear either amazing vocals (hitting all the notes, etc) OR amazing music (actual instruments). I love music from 70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000's for the vocal talent. I'm also a huge fan of almost all forms of heavy metal because the instruments used take a lot of skill to play & master.