Rape jokes, can they be funny?

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
I think that anything can be funny, it all depends on the situation and the delivery (just like any good joke). Off the top of my head, I can think of a particularly funny one from the previous season of Californication.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Aerodyamic said:
inFAMOUSCowZ said:
Aerodyamic said:
mistergobbles said:
Anything can be funny, given the right context. There are some instances where things can be taken too far, and it happens a little too often in real life (one of the things a comedian must learn is how much is too much), but I don't think that applies to the PA case you are talking about. People make jokes about being raped on the internet all the time, I mean COME ON. It wasn't even really a serious thing.

As for you being molested, that sucks, I'm sorry about that. But I'm sure that if I was in a better mood, I could come up with something funny about it.
*shamelessly ripping off George Carlin*
Imagine Daisy Duck raping Porky Pig.
....I came into this thread hoping to say that joke, but alas you runied my night, I hope your happy "cries"
If I raped your hopes, I'm ecstatic.

*mwahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahaha*
Point proven rape jokes can be funny, and now I'm happy again.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I was going to say rape is never funny, but then you reminded me about that Penny Arcade comic. That was hilarious.

OldGus

Feb 1, 2011
airwolfe591 said:
They used to be funny for me, until my closest loved one got raped, now I cringe whenever the subject is brought up in a relatively realistic manner (Family Guy's Aquaman Can't stop rape scene comes to mind). However "raped by dickwolves" is still hilarious to me.
Well, if you're willing to try, I have a joke that might help. maybe. Again, if you're willing to try.
At least one person is now forever terrified to hear "I baked you some cookies."

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
JediMB said:
Pararaptor said:
Hon, that is not rape.
There's the issue of whether or not a person is actually capable of giving consent when s-/he is so smashed that s-/he can barely stand up or form a coherent sentence.

Have sex with someone without that person's consent and it's technically rape, regardless of how the "victim" feels about the encounter the next morning.
at this rate, what about being so drunk as to being unable to register the need for consent? (For instance, if both are equally drunk)

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
is it a funny joke to start with? then ya it can be funny

same as any joke

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Of course there is nothing wrong with joking about rape. Humor and words never hurt anyone, if your offended, don't read the fucking comic. We have humor about war, murder, racism, sexism, and every other negative part of the human experience, there is no need to get butthurt over jokes about rape.

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
OldGus said:
airwolfe591 said:
They used to be funny for me, until my closest loved one got raped, now I cringe whenever the subject is brought up in a relatively realistic manner (Family Guy's Aquaman Can't stop rape scene comes to mind). However "raped by dickwolves" is still hilarious to me.
Well, if you're willing to try, I have a joke that might help. maybe. Again, if you're willing to try.
At least one person is now forever terrified to hear "I baked you some cookies."
okay.. now I've got to hear this

icame

Aug 4, 2010
I don't get offended by them or anything, but I don't find them funny. Its just...wrong

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
the particular strip was not funny to me but that doesn't mean people have to get all bitter and twisted about it if you cant make jokes about bad stuff that happens where do you stop can you not make a joke about a fat kid running and then falling over to graze his knee

this a problem with the western style of equality the feminists have achieved their goal and now they have nothing to do and are either getting all bitter and twisted over perceived slights or are trying to unbalance the equality we had against men

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
Rape jokes are tasteless and oftentimes come off as more juvenile than Pokemon. I felt i had to say that to avoid getting stabbed, because my next point is that controversy called on by inconsistent feminists is something that should be ignored completely. Penny Arcade makes stupid jokes and i make jokes that are only funny to people who are insane, and water remains wet. No sense in getting worked up over innuendo.

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
You seem to be confused on the issue allow me to state the proper question; Rape jokes, can they NOT be funny?

PlasmaSnake13

Dec 8, 2010
Lilani said:
I think VG Cats can confirm this. In two related comics.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=128

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=129
Yessss. So glad someone posted this. I would've said "No, it can't be funny" but then I saw those again. I change my stance. Rape can be funny.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Yes. They can. But only when they are 'self-deprecating,' meaning the making fun of thinking that rape is funny...or if they are extremely bizarre like the ones we have over here in Mexico.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Pararaptor said:
Lilani said:
I think VG Cats can confirm this. In two related comics.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=128
Hon, that is not rape.
VERY much not rape.

Somuch not rape that it makes me angry that you thought it was.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Pararaptor said:
emeraldrafael said:
How do you figure?
She got drunk, slept with a bloke & regretted it later.
Rape is when someone has had sexual intercourse with someone while not under the right state of mind. Thats why its still rape if you have sex with a drunk chick and she calls the cops later, even if she said yes while drunk.

One of the people in my high school got arrested and charged with rape cause this is what he did.
That's bullshit and is not the case where I live. Obviously having sex with someone who's unconcious is illegal but I'm assuming (As it was a party) that both parties were drunk but able to make a decision, even a bad one.