Raphael and Donatello Revealed in New TMNT Trailer

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
I don't mind the new designs at all except for those faces. Those terrible faces. Nostrils and weird looking lips. They kind of look like the Goombas from the Super Mario movie. I bet that the main reason they strayed away from the classic and proper Turtle beak design was to sell new toys based on the movie and to set them apart from the old ones so there's no confusion when Timmy begs mommy for a TMNT: The Movie action figure. $$$

ihavetwo

Mar 19, 2014
Ew, EW, EWWWWW!
I don't even...
Why?
Michael Bay ruins everything part I don't freaking care.
Even if he is producing and not making.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
*watches new trailer*

Yup! Still looks fugly as hell.

Not one person could have called Jim Henson's Creature Shop or another practical effects house to make these turtles look good? It just baffles me that movie studios tend to mostly use CGI rather than use a blend of CGI and practical effects. Yes, I know its a cost thing, but sometimes, CGI can kill the quality of a movie. Bay's Turtles is an example of bad CGI. The human faces on them just makes them repulsive. What was the logic behind this decision? Realism? We're talking about mutant turtles that studied ninjutsu with the aid of a mutant rat (who was either a normal rat turned humanoid or a human turned into a humanoid rat, depending on the continuity). It's suppose to be silly, people. If you can't handle things being child-like or silly, then you have some serious inadequacy issues. I'm just saying.

Aside from the fugly turtles, the rest of the trailer doesn't make me feel confident about the finished product. This second trailer is basically the first but with a bit more turtles in it. Possibly to convince people "No, really! We're not totally focusing the movie around the human characters like we did in Transformers!" Also, judging from the trailer, it looks like they're borrowing the "predestined heroes choosen by fate itself" angle rather than stick with the "heroes by a freak accident tossed into circumstances beyond their control" origin, mostly out of convenience/laziness. And I think we've all covered how Megan Fox as April O'Neil is the second worst casting choices made by Bay (the first one being Shia Labeouf for the first three Transformers movies).

Overall, this new trailer doesn't make me want to spend my time and money on this remake. Unless I'm convinced otherwise, this is one movie that is on my "skip it" list.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Scarim Coral said:
Oh god, I thought Micky ugly mug was frightening enough but seeing Don scream at 1.08 was a stuff of nightmare (mainly the open mouth and his glasses)!
Kmadden2004 said:
For some reason, when I saw that shot, the one thing that came to my mind was "Urkel?"
All i could think of was this;

It made me think of this

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
lacktheknack said:
I had taped glasses for six days between me breaking them and getting new ones. Does that count?
Not really, because that wasn't some kind of fashion statement or something you did because you were a nerd. It was a necessity for the moment. This obviously isn't that.

vagabondwillsmile said:
Yeah, this is Bay we're talking about though (I know he's not directing, but come on. He's got his hands into this deeper than George Lucas had into Redtails). He'll revive a stereotype to suit his purposes if he feels like it, and approach it with all the subtlety of a sledge hammer. On fire. Wielded by an elephant. ... Also on fire.

I don't know how I feel about the taped glasses though. On the one hand it COULD have been cool because Donny's head is too big and his eyes too far appart for human glasses. So, he finds some lenses that will help him see, breaks the frame, uses a piece of metal to space the lenses out, and tapes it all together. BUT the logic of it in the movie will be: Donny's smart. Smart people are nerds. Therefore Donny's a nerd. Nerds wear glasses. Therefore, Donny wears glasses... Being the wizard of the group it would have been cool if he crafted his own lenses and incorporated them into his bandana or something, or wore them like goggles, rather than going for the lowest of all possible hanging fruits to get the point accross that he's the intellectual or the tech guy.

I don't have any connection to my childhood that would keep me from enjoying an adaptation of something I was into. Transformers, TMNT, Thundercats, Silverhawks, any of it. I acknowledge the inherent silliness of all these things and won't hold them up as somehow sacred. I'm skipping this simply because Michael Bay products are complete and utter $#!7.
See, I could go for something like that. If they actually made Don have a vision problem and it was a part of his actual character that they built around and the glasses were a thing he needed, yeah, I could go for that. But just throwing glasses on because "Nerds wear glasses" is insulting.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Once again, as a major TMNT fanboy myself(who knows how many hundreds of dollars was spent on toys in my youth); I'm gonna give this an honest chance.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
RJ Dalton said:
Taped glasses. Because it's always a good idea to insult your stated target demographic.

Seriously, is that stereotype still hanging around? I hang out with a lot of nerds and I've never met anyone with taped glasses.
There is a CHANCE that we're looking at a single part of a larger joke where Donny (who wears glasses) breaks his glasses and has to fix them on the fly... and the only thing available is tape. And the movie lampshades it for comedy, like Raphael going "Really, Donny? Really?" or something of the sort.

I said a CHANCE. Not that it's how it's going to be, I'm not Psychic.

Stop looking at me like that. A chance!

Yes I know this is Michael Bay. Yes I know that it would fall onto the "Extremely Subtle" area on the Michael Bay "OBVIOUS - SUBTLE" spectrum.

I... argh.

... it's probably going to be as stupid as you think it's going to be...

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
It is so easy to fix these designs so that they aren't so god awful. Of course there is a lot more wrong with this movie than the designs.
Wow, holy shit THAT DOES LOOK BETTER.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Ronack said:
Frozengale said:
Ronack said:
Donatello, the turtle, doing a duckface. I'm officially done with this movie. I'll watch it, sure, but only as a disaster tourist.
I always find statements like this to be hilarious. You're basically saying, "Sure, I'll help make it one of the most successful movies of the Summer, but I reserve my rights to complain about anything and everything the producers do and get mad that they do it."

You are the problem in this situation. The reason stuff like this gets made is because of people having attitudes like this.

I'm not a fan of Ninja Turtles, but I wish people would realize that the reason they keep making horrible crap out of stuff we love is because we give them ALL the money. Nothing will ever change.
Who says I'm paying for it? .... I said I was gonna watch it, not that I'm gonna pay for it. When that shit hits the TV, I'll be there.
My apologies then.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
You bet your life!

Baresark said:
As someone who loved the Ninja Turtles growing up, I'm excited to see a new live action movie.
I'll wait until I see something to get excited about.

That being said, the only thing I really don't like is the design of the turtles, and even then mostly because of the AHHHKILLITWITHFIRE look of their faces. I don't think that would stop me from enjoying the movie. It might give me nightmares down the line, though.

arc1991 said:
Transformers all over again...Fanboys screaming "THIS WILL SUCK" before the film has even been released.
Transformers made big stompy robots boring. Might not be the example you want to use, even if your argument is "judge slow" rather than "it'll be fine."

As someone who's seen maybe 2 episodes of Transformers (the 80s version), I have no strong attachment to the series. Hell, I expected this to be up Bay's alley. Big robots. Big explosions. Big violence.

I don't think a Red Bull IV could have kept me awake.

kyosai7 said:
"Waah! It's different!"
Is it really just that, though? The original movies were different from the cartoon which was different from the original comic, and they were all well-received. The Archie comic made changes and it was huge. Hell, the second movie changed things up and made it goofier and took their weapons away most of the time. Well received. III? Well, no franchise is perfect. The 2003 series was different and was well-received and treated as a watermark. The TMNT movie that sort of follows that series got a middling critic score on Metacritic but has a good fan rating there. Is it that they changed it?

XenoScifi said:
You found nothing. It's a figure of speech.
A figure of speech that still indicates its presence harms your memories or past in some sense.

RJ Dalton said:
Taped glasses. Because it's always a good idea to insult your stated target demographic.
Has it ever stopped anyone from buying in?

Seriously, is that stereotype still hanging around? I hang out with a lot of nerds and I've never met anyone with taped glasses.
I grew up in a poor family and had to improvise all sorts of fixes to my glasses. My girlfriend from high school had to tape and glue hers several times, and my current girlfriend has similarly had to jury-rig her glasses.

It's great if you can afford to replace them, which I now can, but the reality is you can't always.

Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my...Errr...Where was I?

I find it more insulting that people so quickly balk at what is a reality for some people who aren't so privileged.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
fluxy100 said:
Meh, the designs are a little jarring but I can't see anyway that the Turtles being made in CGI wouldn't look jarring. I do like the fact that the different turtles actually look different rather than just giving them different colors.

XenoScifi said:
I'm going to skip on this. Michael Bay will not continue to destroy my childhood (at least to my eyes) anymore.
MrHide-Patten said:
So now Micheal Bay is going to ruin CG Mutants for people like he ruined giant robots.
newwiseman said:
Ugliest possible TMNT design... I pray this fails and Michael Bay stops making shit movies about my favorite childhood toys.
I'm so confused, why are we blaming Michael Bay for the Turtles when he's only the person producing it and not the one directing it?
Their appearance is an uncanny valley phenomenon, just because you seek to make them 'appear' like they are real and belong in this world doesn't mean that you should. As a multimedia design student, and as a 3D designer, I can appreciate the technical detail of the turtle's designs and the artistry in the textures. A lot of people clearly put in some really solid work. But that's the problem with the uncanny valley, unless what your doing is perfect the more work you put in to make your characters "better" the deeper you fall.

As to the Mr. Bay hate.., the man knows his target audience. Everything [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_Dunes"]Platinum Dunes[/a], his production company, has made has grossed well; no matter how completely stupid it has been. Micheal Bay is a businessman, a very successful one. He only cares about making money, not making good films. He is to film what EA is to games. My hope is the cost of the CG will make this a financial flop instead of just a critical disaster, but I won't hold my breath.

As for Jonathan Liebesman, the director, I've only seen: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006), Battle: Los Angeles (2011), and Wrath of the Titans (2012)... I can't say I'm by any measure impressed by his work, and from what I've seen in the trailers I can't see anything good coming out of this.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
It's like they are literally dropping their pants and taking a big, sloppy crap directly on my nostalgia, then squirting whipped cream on it and telling me it's a hot fudge sundae.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
fluxy100 said:
I'm so confused, why are we blaming Michael Bay for the Turtles when he's only the person producing it and not the one directing it?
Because his name is attached to it and I haven't invested any time into researching this, because it's not a franchise I care enough about to do that. My bad.

Although the original point stands that his name is attached to the project and to some that's all people need for them to go; 'oh that's why it's dogs balls', It's the M. Night Shlam-alam-a-ding-dong effect.