Rapper 50 Cent Isn't Impressed by Minecraft

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Rapper 50 Cent Isn't Impressed by Minecraft

50 Cent admits that he doesn't understand Minecraft's popularity.

Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson has had one foot in the videogame industry since he released 50 Cent: Bulletproof in 2005, but he can't quite figure out what people see in Minecraft. During a CES interview with The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/10/5293296/50-cent-looks-back-on-four-years-of-ces], the rapper was upfront with his confusion. "Minecrafting?" he said. "Like, I didn't know what was going on with that. It looked like they didn't finish making it."

Mr. Cent admits that he doesn't actually play Minecraft, only that he had recently been exposed to the title. But it doesn't sound like he's going to give up rap and rededicate his life to Minecraft any time soon.

CES has become a familiar backdrop for 50 Cent's business dealings. In 2011, he founded SMS Audio, a headphone company in the same vein as Beats by Dre. This year, the company is showing off its latest gear, including a Star Wars-themed line and a Sports collection that's been endorsed by Carmelo Anthony.

Even though 50 Cent doesn't seem to understand Minecraft, the rest of the gaming world certainly does. Over 33 million copies have already been sold, and the title is still MIA on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. So, that number is probably going to get significantly larger.

Source: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/10/5293296/50-cent-looks-back-on-four-years-of-ces]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
*Looks up from book* What's that? The guy who got two self masturbatory games about him shooting people and swearing doesn't see the appeal of Minecraft? Oh yeah, I'm so gripped by his view.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
erttheking said:
*Looks up from book* What's that? The guy who got two self masturbatory games about him shooting people and swearing doesn't see the appeal of Minecraft? Oh yeah, I'm so gripped by his view.
And apparently he can solely judge the game by GRAPHICS. Who cares about gameplay, right?

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Bindal said:
erttheking said:
And apparently he can solely judge the game by GRAPHICS. Who cares about gameplay, right?
Pretty much everyone I knew thought the same when we first saw Minecraft. "What? Blocky graphics and blacks everywhere? What the hell is this game?". But then we actually played it and discovered it. It's not surprising that someone that hasn't played much of it or looked into it understands Minecraft.

Also, he is right. As you can tell by the lack of graphics, this game is not finished. It needs th graphics to make the blocks better.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
He just needs to wait for the 'Drugs & Bitches' update that adds in gangbangers, hookers and the 'Ghetto' biome. That's probably more up his street.

May 29, 2011
So this one famous guy kind of associated with gaming didn't like this one game that lots of other people like.

How is this news?

I bet he also doesn't like lots of other games. In fact I can guarantee that every single famous person associated with video games, ever didn't like at least one game that most people like.

Are we going to make each of them an article?

No offense to the escapist news workers, this just genuinely seems entirely inconsequential and unimportant. I'm really confused here.

It doesn't even sound like he really tried minecraft. It sounds exactly like he looked at it and got confused, assuming something.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
News just in: Gamers don't understand the appeal of 50 Cent.

I'm a bit hesitant to call him a dribbling moron because as far as I remember he's actually a fairly shrewd businessman (some half-remembered Cracked article methinks), but he does a damn good job of acting like one.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Use_Imagination_here said:
So this one famous guy kind of associated with gaming didn't like this one game that lots of other people like.

How is this news?

I bet he also doesn't like lots of other games. In fact I can guarantee that every single famous person associated with video games, ever didn't like at least one game that most people like.

No offense to the escapist news workers, this just genuinely seems entirely inconsequential and unimportant. I'm really confused here.
Yeah...was he stealing a submarine or something at the time? If not, not news.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
And I am not impressed by either his music or games, when is the press conference?

A well, guess he just needed his 9:50 minutes of fame to give his career a small boost, so he came up with an unpopular opinion.

Next.

May 29, 2011
thaluikhain said:

How is this news?

Yeah...was he stealing a submarine or something at the time? If not, not news.
It doesn't even sound like he actually disliked minecraft. It sounds exactly like he looked at minecraft without having the concept properly explained, and got confused about the nature of the game.

Like probably most people when they see minecraft the first time.

"This just in! Someone mildly important had a statistically probable reaction to a popular product!

In other news, Kanye West thought Skyrim was a pretty good game!"

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It doesn't even sound like he actually disliked minecraft. It sounds exactly like he looked at minecraft without having the concept properly explained, and got confused about the nature of the game.

Like probably most people when they see minecraft the first time.
Yeah, looks like.

"This just in! Someone mildly important had a statistically probable reaction to a popular product!

In other news, Kanye West thought Skyrim was a pretty good game!"
2 years ago, Britney Spears was on the Ellen Degeneres show and says her son play Minecraft and sings at the same time!

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Minecraft isn't a game you can judge at a glance. It emphasizes four key things:
  • [li]Creativity[/li][li]Deep, complex systems (crafting, enchanting, brewing, redstone, etc)[/li][li]Exploration (finding new biomes, mining, etc)[/li][li]Social play (multiplayer, sharing maps, streaming, etc)[/li]
But none of these emphases are at all evident unless you actually play or watch it for a significant amount of time. Compare to games like Halo, NBA 2K14, Final Fantasy, Mario Kart, Space Invaders... I could go on and on. In nearly every game ever made, you can get a pretty strong idea of what it's about, and what its purpose is, almost immediately. You're shooting aliens, driving cars, watching a story, whatever.

The thing is, Minecraft isn't like that. Too short a time in-game, whether watched or played, will expose you to individual mechanics, but it won't make clear their larger purpose or the overall idea behind the game. Ten seconds of racing in Mario Kart, you know it's a game about racing. Ten seconds in Minecraft you may see mining, or blocks being placed, or combat, but no one part of it really represents the game as a whole.

So yeah, I can totally understand not getting Minecraft. It's one you've gotta really get into BEFORE you can properly understand what it is.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Either way, 50 Cent: Bulletproof is a bad game.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Longstreet said:
And I am not impressed by either his music or games, when is the press conference?

A well, guess he just needed his 9:50 minutes of fame to give his career a small boost, so he came up with an unpopular opinion.

Next.
He has a career? I thought he just shouted swearwords at people while playing music in the background.

You mean there's money in that?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
For anyone getting their feathers ruffled over the comment about Minecraft, he specifically said he's going to check it out [http://youtu.be/p30JHrSVy8c?t=7m14s].

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
What exactly was the point of that?
You have hundreds of people right here that you can ask about Minecraft, in fact anything about it, and Josh Engen decides this is an interesting insight, because the man is famous?

Next up on the Escapist: It's fucking cold, north of the equator. Millions baffled.
"After a decade-long study, scientists verify that bears do, in fact, shit in the woods."

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Who gives a flying shit?

On another note, hey 50 cent! A penny for your thoughts? I guess to you the game doesn't make cents. And you don't want to be nickel and dimed. But you just can't make heads or tails of minecraft.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I do not know what the hubbub is about here. Plenty of people, myself included, don't "get," games like Minecraft and Don't Starve.

Phrozenflame500 said:
BREAKING NEWS: People have differing opinions and like different things, more at 11.
Well put. Also, disliking a genre doesn't make one less of a gamer (although that still doesn't forgive 50 for those atrocious games he made).