Rapper 50 Cent Isn't Impressed by Minecraft

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Why do we care?

I mean it. That's more of a knock to us than to 50 Cent. Is it because he's famous? So what? Okay, so he has skill in a certain field and managed to make a name for himself. Good for him. But he's also a person, not too different from the average joe once you strip away all the fame, money, and controversy. As such, asking him about a certain game, having him say he doesn't see the appeal, but then admit that he hasn't played it and doesn't know much about it shouldn't matter. President Barack Obama likes Portal. Good for him; it's a good game. But is its quality somehow elevated because someone famous likes it? Would it be diminished if he didn't like it? No. If Phil from Accounting said that he's heard about Minecraft but doesn't see the appeal but he really doesn't know much about it, would anyone care? No. So why should we care what 50 Cent thinks, especially since it was just an answer to an offhand question and not something he went out of his way to make known?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Use_Imagination_here said:
So this one famous guy kind of associated with gaming didn't like this one game that lots of other people like.

How is this news?
Here's the comment I was looking for so I would save the trouble of writing it myself. Just because he's got "one foot in the gaming industry" it doesn't mean he actually got something wise to say about it.

Kojo Kondo (makes video game music) has a foot in the music industry, doesn't mean he gets the appeal of 50 Cent. I don't get it either to be honest.

Honestly I entered this article from the latest comment section and I thought this was a joke thread since there has been a lot of "Person unrelated to X doesn't care about X". I was disappointed to see this was an actual article.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Up until recently I never really saw the appeal of Minecraft either. However, I started watching some Let's Plays of it and now I completely get it. While I understand the popularity and the fun that can be had of the game, it's still not something that I'm likely to play.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Isn't this man just a massive narcissistic tool? I wish "Mr.Cent" would go back to writing raps about wanking and shooting people. Gaming doesn't really agree with him.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Most of the people in this thread really need a few lessons in reading comprehension. Not understanding the popularity of something is not the same thing as disliking. Not fucking hard guys.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
And the rage machine of the Escapist forums continue. Hands up if you actually watched the video before commenting?

*Raises hand*

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Charli said:
50 Cent doesn't approve? OH SHIT GUYS. Shut it all down! Yep the whole thing. It's over. He doesn't like it.
He never said he didn't approve of the game or didn't like it. He said he didn't get its popularity and doesn't know about the game.

He also said that he'd check it out to see why it was popular.

This is that awkward moment where 50 Cent of all people has shown more of a open mind than a lot of people in this forum who reacted to an attention grabbing article title that didn't match the context of the article.

Now how sad is that?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Charli said:
50 Cent doesn't approve? OH SHIT GUYS. Shut it all down! Yep the whole thing. It's over. He doesn't like it.
He never said he didn't approve of the game or didn't like it. He said he didn't get its popularity and doesn't know about the game.

He also said that he'd check it out to see why it was popular.

This is that awkward moment where 50 Cent of all people has shown more of a open mind than a lot of people in this forum who reacted to an attention grabbing article title that didn't match the context of the article.

Now how sad is that?
It was more a facetious jab at the irrelevancy of the article. We're quite well aware of the attention grabbingness of it your bigheadedness I was simply giving the expectation in an overblown reaction.

But I still could not care less what 50 Cent has to say on video games. About as much as I care what he has to say on Tampons.

But alas, a person with fame said a thing.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Haha, who bussing cares what he thinks? 50 Cent is a hack. Besides why is a "musicians" opinion news? He is not involved with gaming. This is just gossip designed to get page views, it's worked at least.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
Haha, who bussing cares what he thinks? 50 Cent is a hack. Besides why is a "musicians" opinion news? He is not involved with gaming. This is just gossip designed to get page views, it's worked at least.
His opinion is relevant to CES because he's had electronics products there for the past few years. He owns a headphone company that's made him a decent amount of money.

I'm not here to defend the guy's music, but you gotta give credit where credit is due. He is a very successful businessman worth hundreds of millions of dollars and the possibility of him investing in other electronics tech at CES like the Oculus Rift among other products is something I wouldn't turn away simply because he's a rapper. Most rappers do not make that much money off of their music. It's usually endorsements, outside businesses and investments.

He also said he'd check out Minecraft to see for himself why it's so popular, and I for one am glad to see him be open to try out things outside his normal day to day. If it means 50 Cent starts investing in awesome technology then he can have whatever opinion he wants regardless of whether you like him or not. The OP was poorly written when you actually look at the content of the video and seems more to be here to defend Minecraft against a non-attack rather than give info on what was said.

I'd honestly like to see more of what he says on the business end of things to be honest. Even 50 Cent has seemed to have given up on music. It doesn't make him as much money.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
thewatergamer said:
Ehh Some rapper I don't give a shit about doesn't like a popular game? Why do I care again?
I don't know, but I'm hoping you'll tell me considering you felt so compelled to open up the article and comment on it.

But yeah, that is a hella misleading headline. It sounds more like he just doesn't know why it's popular. Which is pretty easy to understand, because at a quick glance, it doesn't seem like an interesting game and he hasn't rutting played the game yet. The headline sounds like it's just trying to bait Minecraft fans into getting upset.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Am I the only one who actually liked 50 Cent: Bulletproof a bit? It was an alright game, not amazing, but it wasn't super horrible, gameplay wise.