Rapper 50 Cent Isn't Impressed by Minecraft

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
I only buy games based on reviews by rappers since Soulja Boy convinced me to buy Braid ...

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
You know, I'm willing to grant people their opinion and all that. You gotta admit though, what with the recession and inflation, 50 cent's just doesn't hold the same value these days.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
A celeb said something about gaming so it must be reported? Not sure if it's a slow news day or another example of a celeb culture. By which I mean, America (I don't mean all Americans) seems to put too much stock into what celebs do and say.

So what if some celeb doesn't like it? I bet a lot don't, they just haven't said it in the media. He put his name and likeness on a game, doesn't mean he knows anything about the industry. Not that you need to know anything about the industry to have an opinion on a game but informed is better.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
You know, I'm willing to grant people their opinion and all that. You gotta admit though, what with the recession and inflation, 50 cent's just doesn't hold the same value these days.
I'm just making fun of him on general principles. It's been a slow morning.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Can we get a modder to add in a gangsta biome? I'd actually pay for that. I imagine you'd be mining and then suddenly you're caught in a driveby. Or maybe you try to build a nice house, but over time it becomes decrepit due to urban decay.

Reaper195 said:
"What? Blocky graphics and blacks everywhere? What the hell is this game?".
Freudian slip? ;p

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I take it this is a particularly uneventful news day?

On a related note I don't understand what people see in hip hop. Can I get my own news article too? Oh wait, I don't have cameras shoved in my face all the time, ergo my opinion isn't as important. Hang on, lemme go rhyme to a simplistic beat glorifying violent crime, drugs and objectifying women. That's how Mr. Cent and his ilk got their claim to fame, right?

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
How is this newsworthy?
I ask that because this sounds like something kotku would consider news.

Why should anyone care about 50 cent's option on a video game?
I go to reviews and people on youtube who do review like content if want to buy a game; not rappers.

edit: I checked if kotaku reported on this and it turn out they did. I am not surprised by this at all.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
So an out-of-touch celebrity proves he's out of touch? Where's the news in this?

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Who cares? Who honestly cares what he thinks about the game? His opinion doesn't affect me or you or even how we play the games. So why should we care?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
He's obviously never heard of legos. Those things are plastic crack. Minecraft is THE lego game. The oficial ones are mostly licensed games with minifig people.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I would be if he understood much of anything, let alone the appeal of a game he's never played.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
So a guy who knows almost nothing about games takes a look at Minecraft and says "I don't know what the hell this is supposed to be"... and this is news?

I'm glad people are civil enough here to say "so what, you didn't do anything on it, of course you can't understand it."

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
BlumiereBleck said:
Who cares? Who honestly cares what he thinks about the game? His opinion doesn't affect me or you or even how we play the games. So why should we care?
Why get so angry that his statement was reported on? He said he didn't get it, not that he didn't like it. He also said he'd check it out.

Far as I know he hasn't even formed an opinion of the game itself but rather the immense media coverage. So again I ask, why are you so angry with this?

OP: I get where 50 Cent is coming from. At first glance Minecraft (in terms of how the mainstream media presents things to non-gamers) is not the most appealing looking game. Also to be fair, Minecraft is not a game that's popular because of it's creators ideas.

Minecraft's main focus for Notch was actually Adventure Mode, which no one really cares about. Minecraft is about what the community creates. That's a hard thing to market for mainstream outlets, but perfect for online marketing. The massive increase of gaming media on YouTube reaaaaaaaaaally helped Mincraft out.

To be honest gaming YouTube news is doing what gaming websites simply don't do. Gain access to a game and straight up play it so the viewers can see if the game is good or not. 3-9 minute controlled previews of games do nothing in comparison to commentary on a 20-30 minute real play of the game.

But back to the OP, if 50 Cent had grown up on the internet like most of us, he'd have a better understanding of this.

Also keep in mind while his name hasn't been in the news as much, he's a very successful businessman worth hundreds of millions of dollars. And no, that's not from rap or movies. That's from investing. That's why he's at CES in the first place. An investment from 50 Cent could go a long way. Honestly, if he learned how people interact to products online better, he could have a chance at being influenced by ideas like the Oculus Rift (which doesn't have to be a gaming only tech) and his investments could help ideas like that progress faster.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Did I just read a news article that basically boiled down to "Some guy doesn't like something"?

Because, on a planet with 7 Billion people on it, I'm sure there's going to be some people that don't like some things that other people don't.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
News just in: Gamers don't understand the appeal of 50 Cent.
dahh i was all hopeful nobody got there before me... i was mistaken

OT: why is this news? as far as i was aware he is hardly in a position to judge a game considering the shite he's licensed, and by his own admission he doesn't know much about it so it's not even fair to berate him for his opinion...

he didn't even have a go at it, it was just the first thing he thought of when asked about a subject he didn't know about =\

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
Wow, see this what happens when you don't watch an interview or read an articles link. You post on it and sound like you don't know what you're talking about

"Ya, like Minecraft? I didn't know what was going on with that, it looks like they didn't finish making it, (laughs)[...] I really got put on to it, (laughs)[...] I'm definitely going to have to check it out"

The reaction of 99.9% of people who saw, and was told about, Minecraft for the first time. I don't follow 50 Cent(although thanks to Giantbomb I know his name and games), but he seemed to be an interesting person who takes business seriously.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
He's just upset he can't use the diamond you find mining to make himself one of those aesthetic grills encrusted with diamonds for his teeth.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
FizzyIzze said:
For anyone getting their feathers ruffled over the comment about Minecraft, he specifically said he's going to check it out [http://youtu.be/p30JHrSVy8c?t=7m14s].
You're falling on deaf ears with this one. It's one reason I'm not a fan of articles with out of context quotes that neglect to reveal information in order to sensationalize something that's relatively simple and non threatening. But it worked, you and I've both commented on it, and 30+ comments or so of people have fallen right into it's trap and are to blind with rage see a way out.

So now whenever they see anything to do with him it'll be "That guy doesn't understand Minecraft and is overrated, so screw him", but a million times more ignorant.