Razer Unsheathes the Blade

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
loc978 said:
Kenjitsuka said:
"a light-weight, super-hot laptop "
Super hot in the sense that it will probably get so warm that you can't rest it on your lap!!!
That was pretty much my first thought. Any gaming laptop that slim is a joke. There's no space for heat dissipation, and I'm sorry to bring basic physical science into this conversation, but... high-end computer hardware produces a lot of heat. Requirements for dissipating that heat are surface area on heat-sinks and a large volume of air.
There's a reason my four-year-old full-tower gaming rig still runs circles around brand new gaming laptops... because gaming laptops are a fucking joke.
Amen to that!
Got an ultra high tower myself, to get some air to those overclocked bits that need to breathe.

The best part is Intel and GPU suppliers LIE about their specs.
They name their mobile chips (almost) identical, but then they don't tell you that they drastically lowered performance in many subtle ways because they cannot dissipate all the heat the desktop version can. TDP is a biatch... like most basic physics things this is not understood well, and the big companies profit from that.

TDP needs to be relatively very, very low to meet both heat AND battery concerns. Which makes a modern "mobile" CPU a joke compared to much older desktop competitors, even when they have a higher clockrate...

Further reading;
http://www.pcworld.com/article/115297/intel_changes_chip_names.html

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Laptops just don't seem to be a feasible choice for PC gaming, especially at price points like that; Unless you're absolutely never sitting in a single place for long.

Seriously, my desktop cost me around a grand and it's got an i7 2600k, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, 1TB hard drive, the wireless capability, and a GTX 570 HD.
Not to mention the fact that laptops are far harder to upgrade, and the parts are more expensive, so it's hard to keep it up to date for very long.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
Except that comparison falls apart when you consider that most game PCs are still well over a grand. You also make the baseless assumption that I am somehow honor-bound to consoles or a brand loyalist. No. I'm merely pointing out that owning a console is easier on your income.

When my 360 broke, I sent it in and they not only replaced it for free but gave me 3 months of Gold membership. When my custom PC tower went kaput, I only found one manufacturer who would give me a refund... and that was for the power supply, which I suspect caused everything to fry in the first place.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I bought one of the Alienware laptops when I was younger and knew no better.

Nowadays I use the Asus g73. The Alienware lasted a little over a week, I left it on over night during the weekend and the gpu burned up.

Even if these laptops have decent components the price is merely for the logo on the front which bequeaths upon you the status of poseur, because gamers who've been doing it for awhile know that more reliable manufacturers also make laptops with equivalent benchmarks for half the price.

Companies like Alienware and Razer need to drop the act and start producing competitively priced machines.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Way to miss the point Razer. After trying out a couple of your insanely high priced mice I'd decided to be more weary about your products, but when you made your little announcment I thought that you might actually be doing something that wasn't advertising your latest high priced peripheral. Whilst it's not a peripheral, I'm still very disappointed. Please see below.

UnderCoverGuest said:
Uh, it's not hardware that's making people say "PC gaming is dead", it's the quality of the games.
No, you're right. The cry of "PC gaming is dying" doesn't stem from the hardware, which has never been cheaper or easier to assemble, but from the games. Rubbish console ports, poor optimisation and just a general disregard for the platform is the plea of the PC gamer. We don't want flashy, expensive laptops, we already have Alienware for that. Now you're just as bad as them, making an underpowered, overpriced piece of kit with the appeal that it's "extreme".

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Laptops just don't seem to be a feasible choice for PC gaming, especially at price points like that; Unless you're absolutely never sitting in a single place for long.

Seriously, my desktop cost me around a grand and it's got an i7 2600k, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, 1TB hard drive, the wireless capability, and a GTX 570 HD.
I agree on this. Most games require a proper mouse and I prefer at least a 20 inch screen and a comfortable chair. If you're going to add a mouse to your laptop you should also have a mouse mat and have the best difference in height of your chair and the mouse and keyboard. Only place it suits me to sit then is at my desk where I have my desktop.

If I were traveling more I would love this however, but as it is I only visit my parents in summer and Christmas and my old gaming rig is at my mom's place so I am never long without my games.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
>True PC gaming
>a laptop with zero upgrade options

Riiiiight. That's not really living up to the full potential of PC gaming.

AC10 said:
PC parts just seem to be cheaper here in North America.
Have you adjusted for both exchange rate AND taxation? I understand in the US sales tax is very low, separate and for most online goods is not applicable.

Everything in the UK has a 20% price hike for VAT (equivalent of sales tax) and that's for consoles and even imports.

Though a cursory look does suggest things cost much more even after factoring for those.

$120 for Sapphire Radeon 5770 but £100 for the same in UK

Now even after removing tax (down to £83.33) the exchange rate takes it to $133 so about 10% more expensive than it should be. I wonder why? Not a huge difference.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Dont understand why people say PC gaming is expensive...over 5 years i have bought 3 games Orange box starcraft 2 and WoW, in total i spent over 180 on gaming in those 5 years, on the other hand if i was a console user i would need to buy a game every 3 months to keep me playing on the console, you should look up how many freeware games there are, And piracy i dont support it but its a fact that piracy is still an option on PC making gaming very cheap and accessible

This Laptop is for the people that are happy buying apple products

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Laptops do nothing to 'prove' PC gaming is not dead. It just shows you haven't forgotten it exists.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Treblaine said:
>True PC gaming
>a laptop with zero upgrade options

Riiiiight. That's not really living up to the full potential of PC gaming.

AC10 said:
PC parts just seem to be cheaper here in North America.
Have you adjusted for both exchange rate AND taxation? I understand in the US sales tax is very low, separate and for most online goods is not applicable.

Everything in the UK has a 20% price hike for VAT (equivalent of sales tax) and that's for consoles and even imports.

Though a cursory look does suggest things cost much more even after factoring for those.

$120 for Sapphire Radeon 5770 but £100 for the same in UK

Now even after removing tax (down to £83.33) the exchange rate takes it to $133 so about 10% more expensive than it should be. I wonder why? Not a huge difference.
Firstly I'm Canadian, so I know nothing about US taxation. All I know is I have a lot of British friends online and they just seem to end up paying more than I do for parts after adjusting for exchange rate when all is said and done.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Skizle said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Your last sentence baffles me because you were complain about this laptop in previous posts as being a bad idea like non other, and yet in your latest post your defending it just because someone pointed out a key component to the whole "PC vs Console" debate that you didn't agree with. And yes you can play a console on the go with a small LCD screen and a power supply for it or just find a wall socket and your good to go.
Not true. I can say this particular gaming laptop is over priced and over hyped. At the same time as explaining that, even though I am not a fan, gaming laptops in general have a place, since they can do something consoles and desktops cannot.

And that is gaming on the go. And when I say on the go I mean places where there are no wall sockets. Also in the device properly portable and fits in a small case, which a console and all the gear you have to cart around to play on it, doesn't. So because of this is a unique feature you can not do a price comparison with consoles that cannot do this (as the post I responded to did).

hooksashands said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Except that comparison falls apart when you consider that most game PCs are still well over a grand. You also make the baseless assumption that I am somehow honor-bound to consoles or a brand loyalist. No. I'm merely pointing out that owning a console is easier on your income.

When my 360 broke, I sent it in and they not only replaced it for free but gave me 3 months of Gold membership. When my custom PC tower went kaput, I only found one manufacturer who would give me a refund... and that was for the power supply, which I suspect caused everything to fry in the first place.
What comparison falls apart? The comparison you made between how many consoles, etc you could buy for the price of a gaming laptop that has a unique feature consoles don't?

I presume by "most game PCs are still well over a grand", you are talking about 'gaming PC's'. If so I need to point some things out. Comparing the price of a 'gaming PC' to the price of a consoles is as bogus as the console to gaming laptop comparison.

It confuses a 'gaming pc' with a PC capable of playing games at console quality. These are two different things. A PC capable of playing at console quality, at most 1280 x 720, with textures set to low and DX 9; does not cost that much more than a console and certainly not the grand you are talking about. Yes, a PC considered good enough for gaming by PC standards, a 'gaming pc', 1920 x 1080 res, with high res textures and DX 11, would cost a fair bit more, and it would show.

As I said don't use this stupidly priced laptop as a guide to what it costs to game on a PC. But yes, if you want to game for as cheap as possible, consoles are the way to go, no argument there.

Also where did I accuse you of being honour bound to consoles?

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I think I can sum up alot of what I'm reading here as "Hell yeah it looks sweet, but I don't have that kind of money for... What is it I need this for?"

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Lets compare it with the M17x shall we? since both are overpriced gamign laptops anyways:

Core: While Blade has a faster core, M17x has more processing power

Blade: I7 dual-core at 2.8 Ghz

M17x Econ: I7 Quad-core at 2.0 Ghz

M17x Max: I7 Quad-core at 2.3 Ghz

Memory: Depends on the version of Alienware you get.

Blade: 8 gig DDR3

M17x Econ: 4 Gig dual-channel DDR3

M17x Max: 16 gig dual-channel DDR3

Video Card: Went over it, Raqzer beats the econ, but fails against even the next runner up, let alone max

Display: Too similar to argue a difference

Hard Drive Space: Well, even the economy version has a terabyte of space, so about three times blade's.

Battery:

Alienware: High Capacity 9-cell Lithium Ion (90-WHr) (more likely to explode and spew fiery death)

Blade: Integrated 60Wh battery

Weight/thickness:

M17x: about 10 pounds, bulky

Blade: about 7 pounds, thinner

Price:

M17x Econ: About 1.5k

Blade: about 3k

M17x Max: about 3k

Well, this is going off of my limited knowledge of computers, but I'd say that the Blade barely surpasses the M17x Economy value, and has a much lower chance of finding a coupon to buy it with too. More or less the Economy one is half the price, but slightly less "high-tech" and lacks the little side-panel.

That being said, if you are getting a computer that is going to trump all computers, you aren't likely woried about pricing, and to be frank, the M17x with its better Specs has a slightly slower core, but twice the processing power and three times the memory, even if it's not at max, for about the same price... The only big difference is the blade's side panel.

Thus, I say, that Alienware wins and Razer can suck it.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Kakashi on crack said:
Lets compare it with the M17x shall we? since both are overpriced gamign laptops anyways:

Core: While Blade has a faster core, M17x has more processing power

Blade: I7 dual-core at 2.8 Ghz

M17x Econ: I7 Quad-core at 2.0 Ghz

M17x Max: I7 Quad-core at 2.3 Ghz

Memory: Depends on the version of Alienware you get.

Blade: 8 gig DDR3

M17x Econ: 4 Gig dual-channel DDR3

M17x Max: 16 gig dual-channel DDR3

Video Card: Went over it, Raqzer beats the econ, but fails against even the next runner up, let alone max

Display: Too similar to argue a difference

Hard Drive Space: Well, even the economy version has a terabyte of space, so about three times blade's.

Battery:

Alienware: High Capacity 9-cell Lithium Ion (90-WHr) (more likely to explode and spew fiery death)

Blade: Integrated 60Wh battery

Weight/thickness:

M17x: about 10 pounds, bulky

Blade: about 7 pounds, thinner

Price:

M17x Econ: About 1.5k

Blade: about 3k

M17x Max: about 3k

Well, this is going off of my limited knowledge of computers, but I'd say that the Blade barely surpasses the M17x Economy value, and has a much lower chance of finding a coupon to buy it with too. More or less the Economy one is half the price, but slightly less "high-tech" and lacks the little side-panel.

That being said, if you are getting a computer that is going to trump all computers, you aren't likely woried about pricing, and to be frank, the M17x with its better Specs has a slightly slower core, but twice the processing power and three times the memory, even if it's not at max, for about the same price... The only big difference is the blade's side panel.

Thus, I say, that Alienware wins and Razer can suck it.
or you go to other laptop brands and pick one of their many fine and powerful gaming laptops, for half the price.

not much difference from 400 series to the 500 series really...now if you jump from ATIs 5000 to its 6000...different story.

also, dont judge pc gaming on this laptop people, and specially dont judge gaming laptops. i bought a ASUS g73 a year ago, for 1200 dollars, and they offered me a backpack and a mouse with it.i can go anywhere i want, take out the laptop and the mouse out of my backpack and play games. and for controller retards who cant fuckin use a keyboard n mouse to play, i got 2 words for you...Logitech Chillstream. ;)

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Sounds like the rig I'm building. Good choice.

OP: Nice Razer, but stick to making keyboards and mice and leave ASUS ROG to the high-end gaming laptops.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
ph0b0s123 said:
When you think of it, you get more bang-for-your-buck with a run of the mill PC than you get with a consol since, you know, the PC gets advanced apps that could never work on a console, access to online flash games for free, the ability to mod games, etc.

Not trying to be a PC elitest here, but I see consoles as being the cheap-but-effective enough side of technology, with PCs being the more expensive with more features side of tech. Arguing specs will get you no where with consoles since a console is limited to just that machine and future versions released by the company while you can customize a PC until it's a YT-2300 freighter with advanced ion cannons :p