Real scary PC games.

TheMasterGL16

Jan 31, 2009
olikunmissile said:
Well... I came here expecting a list of scary games. But when some of you pansies called S.T.A.L.K.E.R a scary game, well I will admit I was a little let down. There is nothing scary about the game. But I love the atmosphere it gives off, and would go as far as to call myself a huge fan of the series. However, Fatal Frame is indeed scary stuff, and I LOVE it.

I just wish there was a really good horror game right now. This Penumbra has piqued my curiosity so I will set about getting it.

I kinda hate being this desensitised to things, I ruin all the fun for myself :(
lol, did you steal my life, or just my words and thoughts?

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
TheMasterGL16 said:
olikunmissile said:
Well... I came here expecting a list of scary games. But when some of you pansies called S.T.A.L.K.E.R a scary game, well I will admit I was a little let down. There is nothing scary about the game. But I love the atmosphere it gives off, and would go as far as to call myself a huge fan of the series. However, Fatal Frame is indeed scary stuff, and I LOVE it.

I just wish there was a really good horror game right now. This Penumbra has piqued my curiosity so I will set about getting it.

I kinda hate being this desensitised to things, I ruin all the fun for myself :(
All of the above, want a real scare? Look out your window, I'm the guy in a long dark coat with my collar pulled up to hide my face. I'm under the street light at the far end of your street. I've been watching you for weeks now. Sometimes I come into your room at night and watch you sleep.

josetaco

Oct 14, 2009
Gfan_00 said:
System Shock 2.
I must add bioshock, I don't care what anybody says when you walk into that room and you see the shadow of person walking back and forth saying insane shit to itself then when your just about to get around the corner to actualy see what it is all the lights go out and you hear somthing run past you..... had to shut the game off my heart was beating so fast

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Well, a lot of my ideas have been mentioned (Penumbra, Silent Hill, System Shock) so Ill add one that hasn't been mentioned. Clive Barkers Undying. Ive only seen a bit, but I have friends who have played it, and absolutely swear by it.

TheMasterGL16

Jan 31, 2009
olikunmissile said:
TheMasterGL16 said:
olikunmissile said:

All of the above, want a real scare? Look out your window, I'm the guy in a long dark coat with my collar pulled up to hide my face. I'm under the street light at the far end of your street. I've been watching you for weeks now. Sometimes I come into your room at night and watch you sleep.
THAT WAS YOU!!!! HA HA (defiant laugh)!!! what you don't know is I never sleep, I was watching you watching me!

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
josetaco said:
Gfan_00 said:
System Shock 2.
I must add bioshock, I don't care what anybody says when you walk into that room and you see the shadow of person walking back and forth saying insane shit to itself then when your just about to get around the corner to actualy see what it is all the lights go out and you hear somthing run past you..... had to shut the game off my heart was beating so fast
Not meaning much offence now. But that was the sort of thing Doom 3 had. And I'll say now, that was lame. Really lame. Bioshock, as with most other 'horror' games these days rely on cheap scares, to make you jump or something. I want a horror game to crawl inside my head, mess with it, LOTS. Then leave without closing the door to leave me susceptible to anything else the game wants to destroy my mind with. Leave me unable to get certain things out of my mind and unable to stop new things entering. That my friend, would be a scary game. Because it wouldn't matter what the bad guy was.

Take IT by Stephen King. The clown turned out to be a giant spider, which should be lame. But it was so amazingly scary that it could have been a cotton wool fairy and still kept me turning the pages. (Keep in mind I was 13 at the time of reading, shit scary stuff back then!)

TheMasterGL16 said:
Did you like how I kissed your forehead before I left? Whispering Latin words into your ear you won't be able to understand until the time is right?

TheMasterGL16

Jan 31, 2009
olikunmissile said:
josetaco said:
Gfan_00 said:
System Shock 2.
Not meaning much offence now. But that was the sort of thing Doom 3 had. And I'll say now, that was lame. Really lame. Bioshock, as with most other 'horror' games these days rely on cheap scares, to make you jump or something. I want a horror game to crawl inside my head, mess with it, LOTS. Then leave without closing the door to leave me susceptible to anything else the game wants to destroy my mind with. Leave me unable to get certain things out of my mind and unable to stop new things entering. That my friend, would be a scary game. Because it wouldn't matter what the bad guy was.

Take IT by Stephen King. The clown turned out to be a giant spider, which should be lame. But it was so amazingly scary that it could have been a cotton wool fairy and still kept me turning the pages. (Keep in mind I was 13 at the time of reading, shit scary stuff back then!)

TheMasterGL16 said:
Did you like how I kissed your forehead before I left? Whispering Latin words into your ear you won't be able to understand until the time is right?
that time is NOW!!! lol

josetaco

Oct 14, 2009
olikunmissile said:
josetaco said:
Gfan_00 said:
System Shock 2.

TheMasterGL16 said:
I understand what you mean but please give me on example of a game that scares you so i can understand from that angle where you are coming from
as far as IT I thought that was one of kings crappiest books
so maybe we are at oppisite ends of the spectrum

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
TheMasterGL16 said:
snip

that time is NOW!!! lol
The funny part is you think I'm joking.

josetaco said:
I guess the closest to what I would like, is Fatal Frame... It got inside my head, unlike any game previous, and any game since. I just can't get over the lameness of flickering lights and then something running past the screen, it's been done all too much before... It may be something I should see a professional about, being desensitised to this level.

And yeah, in retrospect. IT sucked, but being 13, it got inside my head really well.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
G1eet said:
TheMasterGL16 said:
I've played Condemned, and really liked it... lol
Have you played the second one?

The part with uh... THAT FUCKING BEAR THAT LOOKED LIKE A JAWS-BEAR. That got me riled up.
I was so scared that I started laughing. Fun times with Condemned 2...fun times...

Maybe I suggest Doom 3, or even Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil? I haven't played many horror games, but those scared me quite a bit.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
the only game that has ever illicited true fear was resident evil. The first one.

You have two bullets, you ate all the herbs, and this door is getting pounded open by zombies on the other side.

You gotta go through there.

But you dont wanna open that door.

bioshockedcriticjrr

Sep 28, 2009
dogstile said:
Gfan_00 said:
/thread[/quote)
if you have a gamecube, try the game that turns your tv off and flickers your console and things, i can't remember what it was called, but it freaked me out
That would be Eternal Darkness. and I would agree. That is the kind of game that can really mess with you

Shamgarr

Aug 15, 2009
I played one called Siren that was pretty scary, and took a real interesting take on the 2nd person perspective.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Slash Dementia said:
G1eet said:
TheMasterGL16 said:
I've played Condemned, and really liked it... lol
Have you played the second one?

The part with uh... THAT FUCKING BEAR THAT LOOKED LIKE A JAWS-BEAR. That got me riled up.
I was so scared that I started laughing. Fun times with Condemned 2...fun times...
I don't know about you, but I tried to think of every bear-related joke possible to keep myself from pondering the possibilities of a bear getting into my house.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Dead Space.

I'm being quite serious when I say that it's a good horror game if you take the time to enjoy it.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
bioshockedcriticjrr said:
I hear tell that cryostasis is quite scary. I do kinda wanna get it
It's not exactly scary per say. It has some shocking a disturbing moments, but it's really all about the atmosphere. The game's atmosphere is flat out amazing, giving you an almost dreadful feeling of isolation but still having that gut feeling that something is watching you.