Real Talk: How Xenoblade & Monolithsoft Saved the JRPG! - YoVideogames

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
This is really amusing for me to read.

Most other forms of media storytelling paled in comparison, in my experience. Growing up I hated most of that sort of books that others held in high regard. Same with most movies too. They never did it for me. Always loved anime and Jrpg storytelling though.

In more modern times, I have found aspects of anime being adopted in westerner media, a prominent example being the character Syl from the Stormlight Archive, which in my head is basically an anime character when I picture her actions.

Simply put, I never really cared about all that other sort of storytelling, and only by it adopting anime and Jrpg components has it managed to belatedly garner some interest in me.

I ultimately find that this notion of "serious" (vs I guess non-serious?) artist is a BS one, conjured up by gatekeeping assholes who enjoy smelling their own farts and need to feel superior to you by pretending that the things that move your soul aren't art as much as the things they claim to like, despite doing just that thing which art most needs to do for you; be compelling. If something giving you shivering goosebumps and making you tear up with excitement is not "serious" then such a label is absolutely trash. (and yes, I am referring to the effects of digimon adventure 2 on a younger me here, not even a mid tier anime really lol, the last of us never got me feeling anything nearly as strong, for example)

I think this is the climate that lead me to just genuinely hate reading for the first 20 or so years of my life, only to get into it later in life due to being open-minded enough to actually try things that seem different and weird and not all that interesting on a first glance. Also a lot of anime came from books and not just Manga so that helped a ton too. Spice and Wolf is excellent to read. Anime was awesome too of course but the books have a ton more stuff going for em.
Honestly, you make a fair point. I assume you're referring to the works of Satoshi Kon, Isao Takahata, and Chiaki Konaka. They have made some rather powerful, avante garde films and series. I should clarify, when I was talking about anime, I wasn't really talking about them. I was criticizing things like Gurren Lagann, Kill La Kill, and Naruto. Basically, "shonen."

That said, to be fair, I think most JRPG's have more in common with shonen then with the aforementioned directors.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Honestly, you make a fair point. I assume you're referring to the works of Satoshi Kon, Isao Takahata, and Chiaki Konaka. They have made some rather powerful, avante garde films and series. I should clarify, when I was talking about anime, I wasn't really talking about them. I was criticizing things like Gurren Lagann, Kill La Kill, and Naruto. Basically, "shonen."

That said, to be fair, I think most JRPG's have more in common with shonen then with the aforementioned directors.
Gurren Lagann and KlK isn't really shonen but yeah Naruto is plagued by fiillers and lots of shonen tropes. It's fine but kind of an entry-level show. The other two are more about I guess the over the top spectacle than the story or character development as well. You watch those to see huge robots throwing galaxies like they're shuriken, not for the char development.

If you want good char development and a focus on plot you watch something like the Monogatari series, which incidentally is my fav anime overall from the last decade. Absolutely amazing characters throughout and the stories they get involved in are equal parts insane and touching.

And Jrpgs do vary a lot in that regard too. There's definitely a lot of overlap, much due to the mangaka for dragonball being the lead artist for dragon quest too, but again there's more than just that style of game.

I will say, anime overall is wayyyy more varied than jrpgs are as far as genres and themes and emphasis placed on storytelling. Anime is an entire medium (despite the tendency to conflate all anime to the shonen genre in the west) whereas Jrpgs are just a genre which borrows heavily from that medium.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gurren Lagann, Kill La Kill,
Kill La Kill is good show. It's on a whole another caliber when comparing the shounen genre. Especially most of today's shounen

Gurren Lagann and KlK isn't really shonen but yeah Naruto is plagued by fiillers and lots of shonen tropes. It's fine but kind of an entry-level show. The other two are more about I guess the over the top spectacle than the story or character development as well. You watch those to see huge robots throwing galaxies like they're shuriken, not for the char development
KLK & Gurren Lagaan have character development. More so the former, but both they both do. I 'd say KLK is the better due to the characters and better ending. GL had sh#tty ending, that makes the series not worth watching again.

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I should clarify, when I was talking about anime, I wasn't really talking about them. I was criticizing things like Gurren Lagann, Kill La Kill, and Naruto.
Gurren Lagann came to me at a time I was at my lowest, and inspired me with characters who never gave up on themselves or others, with words I'll never forget, and a message that is one of the few things that keeps me intact on the inside. Is the show kinda silly? Yup. Is it fanservicey? Oh yeah. Does it have some filler? It does. Is it over the top levels of batshit stupid? Oh, hell yeah. But is it powerful, with a strong message behind it? 100%.

As Dreiko said... it's easy for people to look at one kind of show/medium, see its flaws, and sneer at it and write it off. But what matters isn't the surface level stuff like that... It's how it resonates with people. Sometimes it's easy to write off a show/medium's merit without seeing why it resonates with people. Of course, that's not to say people aren't welcome to their opinions.

I 'd say KLK is the better due to the characters and better ending. GL had sh#tty ending, that makes the series not worth watching again.
Oof, that's a tough one for me to accept, though! As far as the ending thing goes. The characters is a different story.
Edit: We talked bout this on the V1 forums, I think... Can't remember, but I know I've heard ya say this before. No chance I can find the thread though without a ton of digging

Last edited:

Aiddon

Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States
That's an impression that someone only familiar with manga, light novels, anime, and games would have, ignoring that the majority of that output is aimed at children or manchildren. It completely ignores their literature and arts, of which they have as high and vibrant a culture as anywhere else.
So, not that different from Western games then. Because games' primary audience are the young.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oof, that's a tough one for me to accept, though! As far as the ending thing goes. The characters is a different story.
Edit: We talked bout this on the V1 forums, I think... Can't remember, but I know I've heard ya say this before. No chance I can find the thread though without a ton of digging
If you want, you can pm me about KLK & GL. We have talked about this before on V1. Where on the forum, I don't remember, but it's most likely somewhere on the off topic section.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Kill La Kill is good show. It's on a whole another caliber when comparing the shounen genre. Especially most of today's shouned

KLK & Gurren Lagaan have character development. More so the former, but both they both do. I 'd say KLK is the better due to the characters and better ending. GL had sh#tty ending, that makes the series not worth watching again.
I didn't say they don't have char growth. I said they're not ABOUT it as much as they're about the epic action scenes. And yeah I did say they're not shonen level with their char growth as well.

Also you may wanna watch the gurren lagann movies. They have a lot of extra bits here and there and they also add a 20 minute extension to the final battle and ending which addresses a lot of issues people had with the original anime ending (though I absolutely loved it and saw no issues with the ending).

Also everyone gets a new upgraded super version of their mech!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also you may wanna watch the gurren lagann movies. They have a lot of extra bits here and there and they also add a 20 minute extension to the final battle and ending which addresses a lot of issues people had with the original anime ending (though I absolutely loved it and saw no issues with the ending).

Also everyone gets a new upgraded super version of their mech!
Been there, done that. Didn't fix the problems I actually had with the ending of the show. Thanks for trying to lift my spirits.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Welp, your expectations are set way too high dude.Then again,I wasn't that big in to rpgs. Cuz their people who love the jrpg turn based combat. I don't know what else to tell you. Like I said before, you ain't low on options, and I feel you're making to big a deal about it.

Genres do change over the years. No need to be literal minded. Okay sure, Telltale games have better stories than say most of the crap Square put out today (FFXIII & XV), but that's only by comparison. David Cage sucks at the role-playing, and despite all of the "role playing" a Telltale game has, your choices don't matter in the end. Once again, not the RPG expert, but I would happily take Parasite Eve, and most of the RPGs on PS1/2/3/4 over the crap Cage and Telltale made. Especially Parasite Eve. If there is any action jrpg that deserves a reboot/remake is that one.
I don't feel that expecting a genre to change when moving from 2D to 3D is setting my expectations way too high. JRPGs are sorta akin to like 90% of shooters still being twin stick shooters. I'm not saying twin stick shooters have no place but the vast majority of the genre still being them wouldn't be a good thing and the shooter genre would be far less popular than it currently is. And I literally just bought Hong Kong Massacre as it was on sale last week.

I purposefully avoided whether I feel David Cage or Telltale stories are better or worse than JRPG stories. It's not about my (or yours or whoever) perceived quality of those. I'm asking why JRPGs don't have characterization choice and story decisions akin to this Detroit Become Human trailer. That's sorta the "core" of what makes an RPG a RPG. Whereas playing Batman in an Arkham game is not any different than playing Cloud in FF7, not that there's anything wrong with having set characters, but an RPG is supposed allow player agency to a degree (some RPGs have set characters you can alter over time like Shepard in Mass Effect, others have straight-up create-a-character from scratch). My Lee in The Walking Dead is a different Lee than yours is for example.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Doesn't matter how much "role-playing" Cage puts into his work (he actually doesn't) considering his stories are terribly written and he's a massive creep. Then again, it's also funny how you reduce things solely to mechanical thinking instead of narrative or theme. Which shows you're not actually interested in the most important part of RPGs: storytelling. Which means you don't actually care about content, just mechanics. Which means this conversation is done. Japanese RPGs are just as relevant and thematically and mechanically rich as their Western counterparts and nothing can do will ever change that. If you can't get over that, that's a problem with you being an intellectual bigot who is gatekeeping, not the genre and trying to say otherwise is just childish.
Cage does put in role-playing as seen here. It isn't about story quality (that's subjective), it's about why do JRPGs have the same fixed story as say a Batman game has. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but don't call it an RPG if the story and characters are completely set-in-stone. If the most important part of a JRPG is storytelling then why is the majority of my time spent in the game walking 5 steps and being thrown into a battle screen when I'm trying to get to the next story point? What's the narrative or thematic reason why the vast majority of JRPGs held on to random battles? They are not as mechanically rich as many Western counterparts, where's the systemic game elements at? Why isn't there a JRPG that uses 1st or 3rd-person shooting for example? There's reasons why the genre isn't as popular as other genres. There's a reason why Kickstarted games sell better than an RPG published by Square (that isn't a HUGE franchise).

Okay, we get it, you hate JRPGS. Why don't you stop complaining about them and leave the genre to people who actually enjoy the games as they are?
I literally have the Platinum trophy for Resonance of Fate.

Anime is an entire medium (despite the tendency to conflate all anime to the shonen genre in the west) whereas Jrpgs are just a genre which borrows heavily from that medium.
Anime isn't a medium. If it's a manga, it's in the comic book medium. If it's a TV show, it's in the TV show medium. If it's a movie, it's in the movie medium.

Aiddon

Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States
You know, even from a storytelling perspective, JRPG's have never really risen above the level of writing seen in anime and manga. It's mostly very over the top, surface level storytelling that acts as icing for a genre that is very mechanics focused.

Which is fine, but I think western developers are far more concerned with storytelling in games. Has any Japanese game ever reached the heights of storytelling captured in Baldurs Gate or Myst? The emotion of The Last of Us? The subtleties of Paratropic?

Some have tried. Dark Soul's and Silent Hill probably come closest, but I don't think it's a coincidence that they're heavily inspired by western storytelling. Earthbound was an interesting experiment, but it has since been overshadowed by Lisa the Painful, Off, and even Undertale. When looking for serious, mature, thematic storytelling for adults, I don't think JRPG's are a very fruitful genre to examine.
Ahem: The Last of Us is literally just post-apocalypse Lone Wolf and Cub. A Japanese series. One that started as a manga. It has so many imitators over the decades you could just throw a dart and find one. Downplaying a culture's storytelling methods and mediums is not okay. Ever

Reactions: BrawlMan

FennecZephyr

Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
Cool, you're a fan of Resonance of Fate.

You've still spent a LOT of this thread bitching about literally every other JRPG. I don't think it's unfair to say you likely dislike the genre as a whole.

Last edited:

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Ahem: The Last of Us is literally just post-apocalypse Lone Wolf and Cub. A Japanese series. One that started as a manga. It has so many imitators over the decades you could just throw a dart and find one. Downplaying a culture's storytelling methods and mediums is not okay. Ever
The chief influence on The Last of Us was The Road, a post apocalyptic novel about a father travelling across the country with his child. It's a respected part of the western canon.

In any case, I wasn't being critical of japanese culture and society. Just manga, anime, light novels, visual novels, JRPG's, and video games as a whole. I admire their film makers, authors, painters, and poets, many of whom have had a large impact on western art. Kurosawa is one of the most venerated directors of all time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The chief influence on The Last of Us was The Road, a post apocalyptic novel about a father travelling across the country with his child. It's a respected part of the western canon.
Same difference. The Road was still taking influence from Lone Wolf & Cub. The only difference was the author added in Mad Max for good measure.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Cage does put in role-playing as seen here. It isn't about story quality (that's subjective), it's about why do JRPGs have the same fixed story as say a Batman game has. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but don't call it an RPG if the story and characters are completely set-in-stone. If the most important part of a JRPG is storytelling then why is the majority of my time spent in the game walking 5 steps and being thrown into a battle screen when I'm trying to get to the next story point? What's the narrative or thematic reason why the vast majority of JRPGs held on to random battles? They are not as mechanically rich as many Western counterparts, where's the systemic game elements at? Why isn't there a JRPG that uses 1st or 3rd-person shooting for example? There's reasons why the genre isn't as popular as other genres. There's a reason why Kickstarted games sell better than an RPG published by Square (that isn't a HUGE franchise).

Anime isn't a medium. If it's a manga, it's in the comic book medium. If it's a TV show, it's in the TV show medium. If it's a movie, it's in the movie medium.
Anime is a medium in the sense of it having unique anime-specific genres of it. Whereas shonen is not just anime, it's a GENRE of anime. If you wish to make the distinction of anime itself being a genre, then it also having genres doesn't make sense. So when someone is using terms like shonen, the functional way of comprehending anime is as though it's a medium.

Also, lots of anime isn't ever on tv. Some of it is intended for dvd/blue ray, some of it is on the cinema. It's still anime even if it's released just for those things too. It doesn't suddenly become a movie. Anime movies are still fundamentally anime. Cause anime is it's own medium like that.

Manga is graphic novels, which I guess is part of comics too in a sense, but again same thing. You have tons of genres of manga out there whereas the typical american comic book is mainly a superhero thing if you look at the big publishers. They just get their same old superheros to do non-superhero things sometimes. Manga isn't like that, there's not that one spinoff of DBZ where Goku becomes a chef, there's an actual ORIGINAL character who is the cooking manga protag or the tennis manga protag and so on. So you can't liken those other stories to the shonen genre in the same way you can link the superhero ones.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Same difference. The Road was still taking influence from Lone Wolf & Cub. The only difference was the author added in Mad Max for good measure.
The 86 year old country man born in the 1930s was chiefly influenced by a japanese comic book that came out when he was in his 40s? And Mad max too? I'm gonna need some sources there chief.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
The 86 year old country man born in the 1930s was chiefly influenced by a japanese comic book that came out when he was in his 40s? And Mad max too? I'm gonna need some sources there chief.
I don't think it was directly influenced as much as there being a zeitgeist they both tapped into. Kinda like how the lion king accidentally was ripping off plot points from kimba the white lion which was made in the 50s in Japan without the creators actually even knowing that anime existed.

Main point isn't as much that it was directly inspired by the manga, but that manga is equally capable of being as high level as the thing which inspired the last of us and is not somehow inherently inferior.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
I don't think it was directly influenced as much as there being a zeitgeist they both tapped into. Kinda like how the lion king accidentally was ripping off plot points from kimba the white lion which was made in the 50s in Japan without the creators actually even knowing that anime existed.

Main point isn't as much that it was directly inspired by the manga, but that manga is equally capable of being as high level as the thing which inspired the last of us and is not somehow inherently inferior.
Well, in the case of The Road, I don't think there's any connection at all. Lone Wolf didn't invent the idea of an old person and a young person walking down the road.

I actually do think The Lion King stole from kimba the white lion. The similarities are too similar. I think there's even evidence of the producers getting simba's name mixed up with kimba. Though I don't have that information in front of me, so take it with a grain of salt.

To be fair, Lion King also borrowed from Shakespeare and African history and folk lore.

Aiddon

Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States

In any case, I wasn't being critical of japanese culture and society. Just manga, anime, light novels, visual novels, JRPG's, and video games as a whole. I admire their film makers, authors, painters, and poets, many of whom have had a large impact on western art. Kurosawa is one of the most venerated directors of all time.
I repeat: dismissal of any medium or genre, especially ones associated with other countries and cultures, is not okay. And saying "Oh, but I like -insert creator everyone knows here-" is not somehow proof of not being problematic.

Also, considering The Road's protagonist just so happens to be pushing a cart around much like how Ogami pushes a baby carriage in Lone Wolf and Cub, yeah, I'm calling bs on McCarthy not taking inspiration from at least the famous film adaptations of the manga. Lone Wolf and Cub is pretty much the ur-example regardless of the proto-examples that might have existed before it.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Cool, you're a fan of Resonance of Fate.

You've still spent a LOT of this thread bitching about literally every other JRPG. I don't think it's unfair to say you likely dislike the genre as a whole.
I'm providing reasons for why JRPGs aren't as popular as other genres because apparently they had to be saved and were saved or whatever. There's quite a few genre conventions that quite a lot of people don't like including random battles and grinding. Aiddon said the genre is about storytelling yet those 2 things literally keep you from the story. If the game isn't entertaining to play, why should anyone play it when you can just watch the story on Youtube? Gameplay has to grow and evolve as doing the same thing over and over again always has diminishing returns. This video perfectly encapsulates why the Divinity series has done so much better than the Pillars series; Pillars only tried to recreate Baldur's Gate while Divinity improved upon it. The JRPG genre intentionally stays the same a lot of the time.

Anime is a medium in the sense of it having unique anime-specific genres of it. Whereas shonen is not just anime, it's a GENRE of anime. If you wish to make the distinction of anime itself being a genre, then it also having genres doesn't make sense. So when someone is using terms like shonen, the functional way of comprehending anime is as though it's a medium.

Also, lots of anime isn't ever on tv. Some of it is intended for dvd/blue ray, some of it is on the cinema. It's still anime even if it's released just for those things too. It doesn't suddenly become a movie. Anime movies are still fundamentally anime. Cause anime is it's own medium like that.

Manga is graphic novels, which I guess is part of comics too in a sense, but again same thing. You have tons of genres of manga out there whereas the typical american comic book is mainly a superhero thing if you look at the big publishers. They just get their same old superheros to do non-superhero things sometimes. Manga isn't like that, there's not that one spinoff of DBZ where Goku becomes a chef, there's an actual ORIGINAL character who is the cooking manga protag or the tennis manga protag and so on. So you can't liken those other stories to the shonen genre in the same way you can link the superhero ones.
Anime is not a medium (just look up the definition of anime or medium). Anime has all the genres of anything else. Ghost in the Shell is sci-fi for example. Excel Saga is a parody. We have several other things that go straight to DVD/Blu-ray from DC animated movies to Stephen Seagal movies. We have shows that release on a website like Dr. Horrible or Reb vs Blue. There's plenty of comics that aren't superhero comics. I could probably say the typical Japanese comic is shonen (I could be wrong but it seems pretty damn popular). How is shonen literally only a genre that anime does? How is Kamen Rider or Power Rangers not a shonen? How is Teen Titans or Ninja Turtles not a shonen?