Really? Do older game consoles suck?

seventy7l

Oct 9, 2009
I was talking to a friend just now and he was saying sell all your old consoles so you can get a ps3.
I said but i like my ps2 and gamecube, but i might sell my xbox.
He asked why
I said why not, i like my old games.
He said the new games are all better than the old games.

What are your thoughts on this

Edit:Main reason my friend wants me to get a ps3 is that everybody else has one.

Edit again:Out of the three last gen consoles i have sentimental value from order
GameCube,Ps2,Xbox.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Depends on the old game in question. Some hold up well no matter their age, others not so much. But there are certainly a good number of PS2, GameCube and, yes, Xbox games that are still very much worth playing.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
It really depends. The main reason you want to keep an old console is for nostalgia, money, or the need to play old games. Depending on the games, the games can either be a timeless classic, or an aged wreck that was a mindblowing good game when it came out. However, today's games are fun.

So I'd say keeping old consoles is good, and no they don't suck.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Well, they're technically underpowered, but they don't suck. There are plenty of games where the only reason I don't play them is because I don't enjoy dealing with Dosbox.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
If I had the choice of swapping my PS2 for a next gen console I would never do it (or I would sell the next gen console to buy more PS2s ^^). Similarly, swap my old Gameboy for a DS? Hell no! Those older systems hold too much value for me.

Embz

Pony Wrangler
Mar 17, 2010
I love my gamecube! Even though I can play the games on the WII theres something nostalgic about playing them on my cube :) I even bought a spare in case it ever broke!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
It's your budget so you know best but it sounds like you don't have money to waste and if you enjoy the games you have then why trade them in. Jump from last gen to this gen isn't that dramatic but one of the most noticeable differences is that a lot of current gen games don't have as much content or challenging gameplay.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Technically those games will always be inferior to todays games, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun with them.

Besides, some games are absolutely timeless - Wind Waker, for example, looks as good now as it did upon release because of it's art style.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Your friend doesn't know much about games, it's as simple as that.

I'm sure if he played games for what they are and had an honest view about older generations he'd see that a lot of the time old games are a zillion times better than newer ones.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Depends.

It's hard with games, given how badly they can age and how much we've changed our view of them over the years. When they started out they were all about the challenge, these days I'd say the narrative is becoming more and more important; the thing on which the rest of the game is based on.

Take Alan Wake for example: the gameplay exists because of that story. It's not just there for the sake of it, like in Pong.

seventy7l

Oct 9, 2009
GuerrillaClock said:
Technically those games will always be inferior to todays games, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun with them.

Besides, some games are absolutely timeless - Wind Waker, for example, looks as good now as it did upon release because of it's art style.
OH crap you reminded me i have to return wind waker to my other friend.
but i see where you are going.
By inferior technically but the fun factor in the games i've played on the newer consoles don't seem as long lasting feel for me.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
My older consoles still work and most hold special places in my heart because i grew up with them. To this day i regret selling my SNES when i did because now i keep wanting to sit in my basement and start playing some Super Mario World but seeing the empty space makes my cry a little inside.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
that he is an idiot unless the ps3 allowed you to play ps2 games on it while i wasnt looking. The inability to do so drove me to the xbox 360, before that i was a hardcore sony fac cuz i liked the games better, but i like several xbox360 only games as well, so now i have a 360 and a ps2. I dont see the point of buying a ps3 tbh. You pay 500 dollars, for what? The graphics are a little better than 360, worth 300 dollars, you get bluray, cuz i really need that instead of just dvds, and you get to use it as a computer, cuz it's so much better than actually having a computer right. (please tell me you caught the sarchasm that is every other sentence fragment in this post. also, games like nes, snes, n64, sega genisis, you just cant beet them.

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
Embz said:
I love my gamecube! Even though I can play the games on the WII theres something nostalgic about playing them on my cube :) I even bought a spare in case it ever broke!
you'd have to try to break a gamecube man... but i get what you're poking at

I have a PS1, a PS2, a N64, and my old Gameboy pocket. (call me a nintendo fanboy, i dun care.)
I probably wont sell any of 'em because of the nostalgia i feel when playing 'em but the only one(s) i'll take to college are probably N64 and the Wii

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
I would never sell spiderman 2. It was my first game and one of the best I have ever played. It is better than many modern pc games and if you wait another year, a ps3 will be well within your price range without having to sell your consoles. In my country they now cost a third of what they did a year ago.

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
My ps3 died 7 times and my ps2 didn't die at all.
You can see why I would be biased against this.
There also aren't any games I own on my ps3 that could top Drakengard.

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Depends on the old game in question. Some hold up well no matter their age, others not so much. But there are certainly a good number of PS2, GameCube and, yes, Xbox games that are still very much worth playing.
I was ripping up Halo 1 the other day, but so, so many games on the xbox just died in my heart the moment I got a 360.

There's like, nothing to do in most of them, were they always that boring or have I just been enlightened by 360's awesome variety of games?

EDIT: And it should be mentioned, my 360 is broke atm (for the second time) which brings the tally to:

360, twice broken
well, that's okay considering how much I played it...

Xbox, 0
impressive, but really, it's built like a damn brick, that thing is solid!

N64, 0
what? wow, that's impressive!

ORIGINAL GAMEBOY! 0
OMG 360 SUCKS!

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I keep my old consoles so I can play the games without getting emulators on my pc. My ps2 still works perfectly fine. So does my NES, and playing games like SMB3 and Wizards and Warriors 3 on it reminds me of glee as a child.

EDIT: Since it's almost impossible to find a ps3 that can still play ps2 games, I don't want to lose the use of about 20 games I still really enjoy.