Really? Do older game consoles suck?

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
If you're selling your old consoles to buy a new one, I'd say don't bother. The going rate to buy a gamecube at a pawn shop is about $30, and $40 or $50 for a PS2 or Xbox. To buy. If you were selling them one you'd probably get $10 or $15 for each of them, not nearly enough to buy a $300 PS3.

Keep your old systems, selling them is simply not worth it for the pittance you'll be paid for them.

Drakstern

Jul 21, 2008
Depends on the game. Some games are just as great now as they were the day they came out. Super Mario World is still my favorite SMB game. Majora's Mask is still incredibly fun. I still enjoy going back and playing X-Com, Terra Nova, or even Doom.

That said, *in general* there have been significant advances in games. Many old games were plagued by piss poor controls, and unlike what the nostalgics like to pretend, there were just as many bad games for the NES, SNES, Game Boy, and PS1 as there are coming out for the newer gens. They just don't remember them because they remember the awesome games over the crap ones.

TheProfessor134

Jun 20, 2009
If game consoles from back in the day truly sucked.. We wouldnt make and download emulators of them to play with.

(Atari doesnt count.. xD)

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
That depends on how you feel about your old consoles. Personally, I will never get rid of my N64, I have far too many games for it that I still play regularly (LoZ:OoT, MM, Lylat Wars).

seventy7l

Oct 9, 2009
spartan231490 said:
that he is an idiot unless the ps3 allowed you to play ps2 games on it while i wasnt looking. The inability to do so drove me to the xbox 360, before that i was a hardcore sony fac cuz i liked the games better, but i like several xbox360 only games as well, so now i have a 360 and a ps2. I dont see the point of buying a ps3 tbh. You pay 500 dollars, for what? The graphics are a little better than 360, worth 300 dollars, you get bluray, cuz i really need that instead of just dvds, and you get to use it as a computer, cuz it's so much better than actually having a computer right. (please tell me you caught the sarchasm that is every other sentence fragment in this post. also, games like nes, snes, n64, sega genisis, you just cant beet them.
Great sarcasm i won't mind your grammar i can read just fine.
Although the $500 part is a little off the 360 elite and ps3 slim are the same price currently.
I think all my friends are idiots though so overall i agree.

Edit:You aren't wrong at all $500 was what the fat ps3 used to cost.
Here in my area they're both $299.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Your friend sounds like one of the people that trades in all his games after they become slightly dated even if he loved the game at the time.

It's all a matter of opinion but if i were you i'd keep the old consoles and save up for a PS3, there are some great games on it but not enough to warrant selling off your memories.

Off-Topic:

I was so tempted to say 'Pawning off your heritage' but i thought it might sound really lame.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
seventy7l said:
spartan231490 said:
that he is an idiot unless the ps3 allowed you to play ps2 games on it while i wasnt looking. The inability to do so drove me to the xbox 360, before that i was a hardcore sony fac cuz i liked the games better, but i like several xbox360 only games as well, so now i have a 360 and a ps2. I dont see the point of buying a ps3 tbh. You pay 500 dollars, for what? The graphics are a little better than 360, worth 300 dollars, you get bluray, cuz i really need that instead of just dvds, and you get to use it as a computer, cuz it's so much better than actually having a computer right. (please tell me you caught the sarchasm that is every other sentence fragment in this post. also, games like nes, snes, n64, sega genisis, you just cant beet them.
Great sarcasm i won't mind your grammar i can read just fine.
Although the $500 part is a little off the 360 elite and ps3 slim are the same price currently.
I think all my friends are idiots though so overall i agree.
Oh, I never got the elite and I havent even looked at prices on the ps3, so i was just going by what i had heard.

Senrab

Mar 22, 2008
Can't stand my 360. Can't play it for more than a few minutes at a time. But when I look back to early Gamecube days, the N64, even to my childhood with the NES and Genesis, I have nothing but fond memories of countless hours of playtime. Back then I could play the same few games for hours upon hours. I'm strictly a PC gamer now, but my origins are with the classic consoles of yesteryear. So basically, no. Older game consoles do NOT suck.

What your friend is probably on about is trying to push you to upgrade, which makes sense. Games have come a long way and the new ones are impressive, but that doesn't mean you should completely forget about the classics if you don't want to.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
To be honest no, they just pale in comparison to newer consoles, for example,if all of the following came out last month, what would you rather have:
A PS3
A Sega Saturn
A SNES

If nostalgia wasn't an issue then you'd pick the PS3, if your a 360 fanboy, well there's nothing for you in the past mwu ha ha ha ha ha(sorry)

The reason most people would say that the original playstation was better than the later versions is probably nostalgia and the fact that the later ones were upgrading the original

just look
PS1 :CD
PS2 :DVD
PS3 :BLU - Ray

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I only recommend getting rid of consoles if the updated console is backwards compatable. For example, my DS is able to play GBA games, so I happily donated my older Gamebody Advance SP to somebody who wanted one but couldn't afford it.

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
playing the first gran turismo at the moment. one of the bets games ever made and easily the best ps1 game. Spyro 1-3 were good too, especially the 3rd

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
First off you probably won't get all that much money for any of your systems there. Also, it can be nice to hold onto them as some new consoles cant play certain older games. The new systems are good, and they are where they new games are at, but the ps2 has one of the biggest libraries right now, full of quality games you can get for very cheap actually!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Get rid of your ps2 and you'll never be able to play those games again, backwards compatibility is gone if I recall correctly.

Oh, and your friend is a moron.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
seventy7l said:
Main reason my friend wants me to get a ps3 is that everybody else has one.
Really? Out of the majority of people that I know, they play Xbox 360.

And NEVER sell the older consoles. Some of the most fun I have now is playing older stuff. Currently I am playing NHL 94 for my Genesis and loving every minute of it :)

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I keep all of my old consoles, just so if I feel like it I can set one up and bask in some good ol' nostalgia. Its gotten to the point where I scour eBay frequently looking for old games consoles, no matter how old.

Not so long ago I found one of these

It was in slightly better condition and it was unique because it was given away as a prize in a Japanese Pot Noodle competition, fully boxed with all the inlays. The seller was asking about 300 pounds, I would've bought it then and there but I didn't have the funds. It turned out nobody bought it so he re-listed it but for some reason got rid of the box. *scratches head in puzzlement*

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
What I have noticed from new consoles is every game is a blockbuster mainstream title, The great thing about the ps2, gamecube, xbox generation was the massive game array.

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
I love my PS2 to bits, it allows me to play timeless classics like Crash Bandicoot 1 2 and 3

your friend is what I call, ill informed :p