Really? Do older game consoles suck?

Claptrap

Nov 18, 2009
I still play on my xbox, There's no problems with old consoles, Sorry but you're friend sounds like a douche.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I think I'm going to answer that question in the most random way I can think of
I've had more fun with SNES, NES, Genesis, and N64 games than any other console, they WERE my childhood and I still go back and play some Mario kart, Star fox, and Goldeneye with my friends, and we still have a blast.

Vapus

May 15, 2010
Always keep the old system imo. Unless you have Zero love for anything you played on them. Each Generation has Some real gems , those games with a special quality that really IS timeless.
Im not even a console fan but I can think of Many titles that were Amazingly good games for thier time. Heck I even played a few of them !

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
the best game ive ever played to this day was on the N64 (majoras mask), old games are pure masterpieces and your friend is a brain dead pleb misguided, and i wouldnt be surprised to learn that he hasnt played a classic game for years (if ever).

the only use i would possibly have for a ps3 is to hollow it out and keep umbrellas in it!

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
Ildecia said:
Embz said:
I love my gamecube! Even though I can play the games on the WII theres something nostalgic about playing them on my cube :) I even bought a spare in case it ever broke!
you'd have to try to break a gamecube man... but i get what you're poking at

I have a PS1, a PS2, a N64, and my old Gameboy pocket. (call me a nintendo fanboy, i dun care.)
I probably wont sell any of 'em because of the nostalgia i feel when playing 'em but the only one(s) i'll take to college are probably N64 and the Wii
Broken 3 Gamecubes, HAH!

OT: Honestly, newer games are pretty fun, but they die off on the lack of replayability. I've Beaten Tales of Symphonia more than 10 times, every time having my character over 100, i've completed Ocarina of Time 3 times and Wind Waker god knows how many times.

The list goes on, but i'm going to leave it at that. I say don't give up your older consoles for something new. It will be fun at first, but once you complete a game, that seems pretty much it. Older game's fun factor for replayability are off the charts.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
Drakmeire said:
I think I'm going to answer that question in the most random way I can think of
I've had more fun with SNES, NES, Genesis, and N64 games than any other console, they WERE my childhood and I still go back and play some Mario kart, Star fox, and Goldeneye with my friends, and we still have a blast.
i agree completely, i got goldeneye cos it was the best game at the shop where i got the N64 (it was that or football manager T~T) i HATE first person shooters but actually dound golden eye rather enjoyable. as for mario kart and star fox? bravo nintendo, bravo

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
allot of old games are great and some are BETTER than newer ones like Shenmua is better than GTA (in my opinion) I would suggest holding on to your consoles
EDIT: the Dreamcast is probaly the best console made ever it is allot like a arcade machine in a console (excluding XBLA) also Sonic adventure is probaly the best Sonic game in 3D made in the 2000,s

cptn ricardo

Dec 5, 2009
Old consoles are equal to the current ones. Sure the new ones have fancier graphics and all that, but doesn't it come down to the games? Each console has a shining example of awesomeness. Sure they vary by opinion. I'm just as happy playing MGS 3 or Rogue Leader as I am Heavy Rain of God of War 3. The only reason to buy a new console is that eventually older consoles stop having games produced for them.

Teddy Roosevelt

Nov 11, 2009
Praise to the lord, deity, and supreme divine being of all the video realm: His Highness Nintendo 64.

And now, to quote my old friend, Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
seventy7l said:
I was talking to a friend just now and he was saying sell all your old consoles so you can get a ps3.
I said but i like my ps2 and gamecube, but i might sell my xbox.
He asked why
I said why not, i like my old games.
He said the new games are all better than the old games.

What are your thoughts on this

Edit:Main reason my friend wants me to get a ps3 is that everybody else has one.

Edit again:Out of the three last gen consoles i have sentimental value from order
GameCube,Ps2,Xbox.
I think that the new consoles ARE better than the old ones, but at the same time that means shit all when old games are better. I've been tempted to buy a PS2 again to be honest.

If you have a good PC there's not a huge point in the PS3... wait LBP2 is coming out sometime, that might make it worth while.

Teddy Roosevelt

Nov 11, 2009
cptn ricardo said:
Old consoles are equal to the current ones. Sure the new ones have fancier graphics and all that, but doesn't it come down to the games? Each console has a shining example of awesomeness. Sure they vary by opinion. I'm just as happy playing MGS 3 or Rogue Leader as I am Heavy Rain of God of War 3. The only reason to buy a new console is that eventually older consoles stop having games produced for them.
Speaking of Rogue Leader, which, if my memory serves me (and I hope it does), was Rogue Squadron II, does anyone here remember Rogue Squadron, meaning the original?

CrashTestZombie

Mar 13, 2009
I think games are becoming more generic, either with the "I'm so good because I can use a duck 'n' cover system." games or the mute protagonist. Sometimes I need a break from all the short, uninteresting campaigns and play A Link to the Past and Ghosts 'n' Goblins. So yes, keep your old consoles and worship them while you still can.

Even though the PS3 has such great exclusives, like inFamous... and... well you get my point.

cptn ricardo

Dec 5, 2009
I remember the original Rogue Squadron. I had it on PC. I managed to get every gold medal. Then my brother uninstalled it. I was NOT happy. And yes, Rogue Leader was Rogue Squardon II.

laol1999

Apr 15, 2010
older games are awsome
theyre alot less complicated and definatly worth keeping
especially if you cant play them on your newer consoles (like wii with gamecube games)

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
I have all 3 current-gen consoles, and an above par PC; right now I am in the middle of RE4, Shadow of the Colossus, Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition: REMIX, and Jak 3 on my PlayStation 2.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Anyone who says that any generation of games is inherently better than any other is a shallow idiot. There were good and bad older games, and good and bad newer games. They're different, for sure, but each generation has its good and bad games. Anything else is just preference, and should be recognized as such instead of states as fact.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Ok, there are several different points on the OP, so let's do this one at the time:

seventy7l said:
I was talking to a friend just now and he was saying sell all your old consoles so you can get a ps3.
I said but i like my ps2 and gamecube, but i might sell my xbox.
He asked why
I said why not, i like my old games.
He said the new games are all better than the old games.

What are your thoughts on this
Are ALL new games better than older games? No.

Are most new games better than the crushing majority of older games? Yes. Things evolved... That's the point. Generally speaking, graphics got better, gameplay got better, stories got better.

That said, should you sell your consoles to buy a newer one? That's up to you really. I never sold my consoles mostly because I have an emotional attachment to them. They're not just hardware they're memories. As such, I like to keep them as sentimental mementos.

On the other hand, if you still have fun playing with your old games, why would you sell them? If, on the other hand, you're done with them, why not? It all comes down to whether you're done with your old games or not.

However...

seventy7l said:
Edit:Main reason my friend wants me to get a ps3 is that everybody else has one.
...This is a stupid reason, and your friend is stupid for suggesting it. Doing things out of popularity is misguided and idiotic at best. What you should be asking yourself is "Do I like the games I can buy on this platform?". If you do, then maybe you should get it. If you don't, it doesn't matter if everyone else on the planet has it, there's no point getting it if you don't like it.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I play older games more often than I play new games, so I think that they are just fine.