Rebecca Mayes Muses: The Sims 3

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I'm a huge fan of musical comedy, and, though there wasn't as many gags as I was hoping, I'm thinking it could grow on me. Just need a few more jokes, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the next song.

ghostsprite9

Dec 1, 2008
That was great. Fusing my love of great music with my love of games into a fantastic muffin shaped snack.

Aiden Rebirth

Nov 19, 2008
I love this! I can be taken in so many ways depending on your moods and beliefs! Rebecca for the win. I like the "accent?" I don't know i just like the vocals, but then again I liked the song Yor's World, so yea, diction isn't all that. But seriously this is win of the musical variety!

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
I didnt like this one greatly, but as it is only the first one im sure it will improove dramatically. good work on taking the initiative to try something new (to me atleast)

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Glademaster said:
murphy7801 said:
Glademaster said:
Hmm I don't think that some people are going to watch to this for the music... what are you doing in the bushes???
So glad some one else was thinking that oh well it a site for geeks.
I suppose then that the video series is a keeper then!!!
Ah seriously though it was alright could of been better could of been worse although I think this meant to be a more general entertainment thing unlike Zero Punctuation which is solely for the comedy.
Well I think its early days yet to judge, I did not like apocalypse lane first ep but it grew on me.

NemesiN

Jul 19, 2009
I dont know why you people are saying it wasnt funny enough. Who said it needed to be funny? I think she did an outstanding job at writing a song about sims and not having it be blatently game oriented until she mentions expansion packs. I like the way she kept it subtle because thats what writing music is about unless you are writing gag music for the purpose of being silly/stupid. I personally dont like gag music all that much, you can only listen to it a couple of times till it gets old and the gags are overdone. This had a beautiful mellody and made me want to download an MP3 for of the song.

This is a new series and I think a lot of you came in expecting certain things from this video. You shouldnt be expecting hilarious gags or anything of the sort, you should just watch what she has to offer, which I feel is great music.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
As far as the video and song go, they where entertaining and sung by an attractive girl with a great voice, but not really my type of music.

I wonder if Rebecca Mayes is going to play other genres of music for other types of games. My thought is that maybe this was just the kind of music that struck her as appropriate for this game. Either way I look forward to more videos.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
NemesiN said:
I dont know why you people are saying it wasnt funny enough. Who said it needed to be funny? I think she did an outstanding job at writing a song about sims and not having it be blatently game oriented until she mentions expansion packs. I like the way she kept it subtle because thats what writing music is about unless you are writing gag music for the purpose of being silly/stupid. I personally dont like gag music all that much, you can only listen to it a couple of times till it gets old and the gags are overdone. This had a beautiful mellody and made me want to download an MP3 for of the song.

This is a new series and I think a lot of you came in expecting certain things from this video. You shouldnt be expecting hilarious gags or anything of the sort, you should just watch what she has to offer, which I feel is great music.
I don't care if something isn't funny. However, something has to be entertaining in some way. That's the problem with this video. It isn't entertaining. It's boring.

Mindblow

Jul 3, 2009
I liked it, for some reason it really reminds me of how Yahtzee was saying the game was evil. Now I'm afraid to go within 10ft of the game box :(

WithHisHat

May 27, 2009
Oh wow, I loved this song. It was haunting yet quirky. I also like that its not on a set schedule, if it could stay that way I would like that because it would be one of those happy little surprises of the day. You know? I found it incredibly entertaining and would love to download an mp3 of it.

Woem

May 28, 2009
The video seems to be dead here, nothing is showing up? Is there a direct link to the video somewhere?

DI7789

Aug 30, 2008
Wow, making a song based on a video game, especially as a one-person-band, must be extremely difficult. I liked it, I hope the Escapist gives her a chance to make another one. Good singing voice, as well.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
I loved the song. The video clips went well with the lyrics, which themselves were an interesting take on the game. I loved both the idea of you being a god, and yet not much of a god, as well as the idea that the Sims can see you too.

To those complaining that this doesn't have a purpose: it's art. Art doesn't need to have a purpose. It can be an expression of our feelings, it can make us think, or it can just be enjoyable as a form of entertainment. I'd say this was both a tribute to the game itself, as well as some insightful thoughts on the game itself and the position we take while playing it. But no matter what I think, even if I thought nothing at all, it can still be a piece of art and still exist without any purpose.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Oh, I did have one suggestion. The vocals sounded great, but the backing track was a little obvious. It was probably made in a tracking program, right? It can be tough to make those things sound realistic, but if you can, it adds a lot to the song. The tinny, synthetic sound of a drum machine shows up noticably against the natural, full sound of recorded vocals and creates a distracting contrast (though maybe that was intended?). In general, it's best to avoid that any way you can -- if nothing else, it detracts from the production quality, which greatly affects the way people see the song.

WarpGhost

Jan 5, 2009
That was really quite a little gem :D . I like the music, I know some people are saying its repetitive and long, but I found little problem with it, and know many, many songs and genres that are much worse offenders anyway! I can see the vocals getting a little whiney with slower music (too high and faux-American; whats wrong with a bit of British inflection?!), but with a fast and upbeat song it doesnt happen. I liked the way it built up. And yes, the goddess costume was very nice!