Rebecca Mayes Muses: War for Cybertron

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
solidstatemind said:
This is too easy.

Xavier78 said:
solidstatemind said:
Rebecca Mayes said:
As was, I suppose, your intention, and I found what you said about your girlfriend very disrespectful; I hope she finds a man who respects her as she deserves, which may in time, be you.
Wow, he didn't say anything to deserve such a comment. He spoke the truth and you and your fanboys attack him for it? If someone isn't supposed to speak their minds on here, then why the hell are you posting videos in the first place? I find this whole thread disgusting right now.

Miss.Mayes, you especially should be ashamed of that.
I note that you conveniently completely redacted my text- interesting choice considering that any bit of it would prove you completely wrong. Please provide one example of where I 'attacked' El Pup. Just one, outside of the 'no reading comprehension' comment that I made... which I believe was less an attack and more a valid criticism- particularly since I refuted what he claimed I said fairly thoroughly. I didn't even go spelling nazi on him. I kept my tone polite even though I strongly disagreed with his attitude of sneering derision.

Did I call him names? ... No.
Did I tell him he had no right to his opinion? ... No.
Did I tell him he was wrong? ... No.
Did I even point out the glaring strawman arguments and unfounded assumptions contained in his original post? ... No.

I simply told him that he was not making his argument any stronger by being rude, and that if he was really interested in discussing what he perceives as the decay of her work, commenting on one video probably isn't the most prudent place to detail his opinion of the entire arc of her carreer.

Both of those I still think are entirely valid points.

So, tell me again how I "attacked" him?

Or are you one of those people who view any dissention with the point of view you hold as being some sort of personal attack? Because that seems to be the only reasonable conclusion to draw, particularly when you basically are also telling the artist that she didn't even have the right to respond to his insults, or defend herself and her work. That is ridiculous and borderline irrational.

(Also, pro-tip: El Pup didn't 'speak the truth', he was stating his personally-held opinion... I have an opinion myself: El Pup seems to be a reasonably smart dude, but he needs to stop using insults when he wants to have a serious discussion, else he just looks like he's still in grade school. Both of us expressed our opinions.)
Just picking up the conversation, but it seems to me that you are attacking his difference in opinion. Do you not see that? I think you just proved his point a wee bit, no? Just my own opinion. "This is too easy"...how do you expect anybody to take that but an attack?

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
Obviously this little musical experiment will appeal to some. Sorry to say I'm not one of those people.
Although this is the first Muse to make the Baby Jesus cry.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
I'm not "White Knighting" here, but may I add something? Did I like the song? Not particularly (I'm probably too close to the source material to be unbiased), but there are songs by every singer and band that I love that I can't stand. But, the real beauty I find is this, that "failure" (I don't mean that the song is a fail in the way it's used on the internet, but that it failed to connect) comes side by side with success. If you try to do something, chances are you will have failures, the only way not to fail is to not try. Think of it like baseball, if you get onehit every three at bats, you're a success even though you failed 2/3 of the time, but if you don't go up there and take your swings you'll never get a hit.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that no one will like everything someone does, whether that be a song, game, movie, painting, story or anything else that is a creative endeavor. There is nothing wrong with liking the song and there is nothing wrong with not liking the song, but there is something wrong with trying to upstage the opposing viewpoint just to win an argument on the internet.

deus-ex-machina

Jan 22, 2010
I was really hoping you were going to do something based around the original theme tune.

This reminded me of Bjork.

I hate Bjork. Deduce.

Apr 17, 2009
RanD00M said:
El pup said:
I mean she thought Yahtzee lived in england at first.
"Yahtzee is a British-born, currently Australian-based writer and gamer with a sweet hat and a chip on his shoulder"
Says so under each and every Zero Punctuation video.So do a little more research,and that wall-o-text that you made could have been something that I would have taken seriously.
The "at first" is grammatically directed towards Rebecca. The post is saying that she thought Yahtzee was based in Britain, before someone presumably pointed out he currently resides in Australia or she just figured it out herself.
The text is correct, you just read in incorrectly ;)

To stay on the actual topic at hand, I didn't like this song. The changes in volume from ridiculously quiet in the beginning to the sudden volume for the chorus, the fact that the crescendo ended up as a tuneless screech (possibly in part because of the volume changes) and the Icelandic language blurring into a series of wails and clicks.
Also, one other point, you're clearly trying to branch out, with your 'experimentation' in the Heavy Rain song and the Icelandic theme in this one, so here's a friendly suggestion: try a different layout for your songs. At the moment they're all "Verse, Repetitive chorus, Different verse, Same repetitive chorus". Why not do something different to that?

Furore23

Feb 9, 2010
First time commenter here. Hi! Thank you Ms Mayes, very nice. Your work is heck of unusual, and the little I've seen so far is really cool.

I'd be surprised if I'm the first to mention this, but your clip for 'War for Cybertron' gave me mad nostalgia chills, and twenty minutes of Google & YouTube frenzy later, I figured out why.

The music video for New Order's "True Faith". That's what it is. Anyone who watches both that and your own clip here will understand why.

Okay, maybe I'm the first, probably I'm the 1000th. Either way - your song was cool. I really hope you get an album deal of your Escapist works, because that would sell some serious biscuits.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
RowdyRodimus said:
Wolfrug said:
Clever story and a clever original idea. :) I particularly liked the lines where you (ahem, Soundwave) had put together a video game using war footage from the war that wiped everyone else out. Put a nice spin on the whole macho-warmongering-robot thing (not that I've actually ever followed Transformers).

Good stuff!
(NERD ALERT!!!!)

In the new accepted canon from the novel Exodus, the war is fought because of differing ideals on how to do away with the caste system of Cybertron. One side led by Megatron and one led by Orion Pax, who is then given the name of Optimus and the title of Prime. Megatron had been working with Pax, and behind the scenes had been orchestrating terrorist attacks that could be blamed on the caste system, was outraged that Pax had been given leadership of the planet by being named Prime instead of him.

Now the reason their were no more Cybertronians being born was that the Decepticons had gained access to Dark Energon that corrupted the user (Energon being the fuel of Cybertronians) sort of like PCP mixed with Meth and Heroin, and to keep them from infecting the Allspark, they shot it off into space to protect it. The Decepticons did manage to infect the core of Cybertron with it and as a way to counteract it, Cybertron had to shut down for millions of years which led to the Autobots leaving in the Ark and eventually led to them and the Decepticons crashing on earth as had been established in 1984.

Ok, that was long but the thing that people are missing that don't follow the mythos is that the Autobots are fighting a just war to keep the Decepticons from just creating havok and terror to rule through sheer power and fear. Optimus Prime as a character has been established as someone who would prefer to work things out peacefully, but is also able to fight for what he believes in which is the freedoms of all beings.

So really it's a bit unfair to say they are warmongering. Yes they are in a war, but it's a war that most would rather not have to fight, but they do because they believe that the prinicples of peace and freedom are worth fighting for, no matter how at odds it seems to be.

(Sorry, I'm a huge Transformer fan and just wanted to throw out the reasons for the war since a lot of people just think of them as robots with big guns. Also, yes, there are similarities in the mythos and real life, but please don't take this post as an invitation to start a political discourse, as it's not the time nor place to do it.)
Thanks for posting that- always had a soft spot for Transformers!

As for the video... pretty ballsy, I have to say.
Sigur Ros inspired vocals though... hmm. I like their music well enough, but the actual singing doesn't really do it for me.

The video was pretty friggin' weird, but that's what experimentation is all about I guess!

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
i do not really understand a word.
i think it was different from all the prev.
honestly not my favorite.
anyway the dancing, or fighting was noice.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I typically, as rule of thumb try to avoid posting in threads about content I don't enjoy. It's why you'll never see my posts in any of the later threads for: Game Dogs, good knight's quest, I hit it with my axe or Doraleous and associates.

But that's not really the point.
This is the first post I've made in a long while in a Rebecca Mayes thread.
Unfortunately it is because I didn't enjoy it.

I'm one of the guys who constantly get the 'if you don't like it why do you watch it?' Argument thrown at him.
And don't get me wrong it's a valid argument, why would I submit myself to watching content I don't like?

I think it's because I understand that I get this content (mostly) for free and as such should appreciate that by means of making an attempt to enjoy it.

'Sure it's not good now, but it might improve later on? Doomsday Arcade did.'

Where am I going with this?
Well that's a good point.

Ms. Mayes, I have from time-to-time quite enjoyed your work, your earlier work I might add.
I know what it's like to defend work that you pour yourself into.
Granted being a cartoonist is a fair bit different from creating music, but the amount of self put into it can be the same.
Which is why I guess I'm dancing around the subject, as from your previous post you come across as some-what sensitive regarding your work. All within a rational (Albeit 'Rebecca Mayes, feminist-hippy') sense, of course.

But I have to say, I and I'm sure many others here have seen a fairly noticeable decline in the quality of your work of late.
I don't dispute that as your defence-post stated many other people enjoyed it, and fair play to them.

In my case it's not so much like El Pup's opinion that your songs seem self centred and 'terrible'.

No, for me it's more along the lines of,
'I feel like I've been listening to the same song for the last few months.'

I realise the post of one anonymous forumite like myself will most likely not cause any significant change or warrant any kind of response beyond 'Oh, someone's posted another long-winded 'this is why I didn't like it' speech.'

And I realise people are creatures of habit and I know you've put incredibly subtle changes into how you handle your songs from time-to-time, but it'd nice to see you really mix it up.
The Icelandic lyrics were a nice change (although I must admit they didn't quite do it for me, I couldn't hear them for the majority of the video).

You openly admitted that you knew some people would receive this badly and I applaud you for putting it up regardless but I think maybe more change than just a lyrical style or a different language might be in order.

If not for the sake of shaking things up, then maybe just to challenge yourself? I'm not saying you don't try, but you certainly seem to have found yourself a comfy spot in your talent and just stayed there. Challenging yourself builds steady progression, people will be less inclined to list the faults if you're showing steady improvement instead of giving us grounds to assume you've hit the pinnacle of your talent.

I for one think you're capable of more, Ms. Mayes.

-Graham Shine (Archemetis).

deadguynotyetburied

Jun 3, 2010
I enjoyed this. It might be because my headset's been glitchy anyway lately, but I didn't have problems with changes in volume.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Samcanuck said:
solidstatemind said:
Lot's o' Snippage.

---

I simply told him that he was not making his argument any stronger by being rude, and that if he was really interested in discussing what he perceives as the decay of her work, commenting on one video probably isn't the most prudent place to detail his opinion of the entire arc of her carreer.

Just picking up the conversation, but it seems to me that you are attacking his difference in opinion. Do you not see that? I think you just proved his point a wee bit, no? Just my own opinion. "This is too easy"...how do you expect anybody to take that but an attack?
Uhm, not to be rude, but did you read what I posted originally (since you're just picking up on the conversation)? The response I made to El Pup, that Xavier78 completely omitted when he called me a "fanboy defending RMM"? You may not think it's germane, but it's the heart of the matter, actually.

Was I 'attacking' Xavier78? I would more put it 'responding in kind', but you probably could make the argument that I was a bit testy with him-- but it wasn't over his opinion of the song. We were discussing what I said to El Pup, and how Xavier78 misrepresented it. Given that, I don't believe you can make the argument that I was 'attacking' Xavier78 (or El Pup) for his opinion (specifically of RMM), I was 'attacking' him for quoting my name only, and then removing all my words, and then accusing me publicly of saying something I did not actually say, i.e. for intentionally or unintentionally attempting to make me look bad by flat-out misrepresenting what I said, without including any of offending the statements he claimed I made.

It was particularly irritating because Xavier78 claimed that I was saying something that was the exact opposite of what I said. (I said, over and over and over, "you are entitled to your opinion. But 'opinion' does not entitle one to fling insults.") That kind of misleading behavior does, in fact, piss me off to no end. I get irritated.

I have said, repeatedly, that I have no problem with people who don't agree with me: for example, Archemetis does a fantastic job of explaining his position (including addressing my question of "if you don't like it, why do you watch it?"), and he didn't feel the need to be insulting and rude to Ms. Mayes while he did it. I don't necessarily agree, but I understand what he was trying to convey-- and like I said, he didn't feel the need to resort to immature insults. That's a productive exchange of ideas, in my book.

In re: the insults: There has been a serious decline in civility on these forums lately: yet, the eternal optimist in me doesn't see it as people trying to be Internet Tough Guys, I just think we're seeing an influx of new, younger people who don't understand the art of good argumentation; after all, the people who behave in that fashion are usually younger- they haven't been pushed yet by higher education and real-life employment to defend their positions in a logical, thoughtful, and mature manner. I'm compelled by some neurosis to try to offer constructive criticism, even though usually my efforts are met with hostility and almost a willful misunderstanding. But I keep doing it. I guess I think maybe it'll sink in later, or maybe there will be some increment of change, no matter how small.

As I've said elsewhere, I think maintaining civility is very important (particularly in a medium where there are few repercussions for not behaving civilly), because if you start tolerating insults, virtually every disagreement will devolve into name-calling, and that's just boring and pointless.

I'd really rather not see the Escapist become another forum sewer that's just tarted up a bit by a semi-intellectual veneer.

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
solidstatemind said:
Samcanuck said:
solidstatemind said:
Lot's o' Snippage.

---

Uhm, not to be rude, but did you read what I posted originally (since you're just picking up on the conversation)? The response I made to El Pup, that Xavier78 completely omitted when he called me a "fanboy defending RMM"? You may not think it's germane, but it's the heart of the matter, actually.

Was I 'attacking' Xavier78? I would more put it 'responding in kind', but you probably could make the argument that I was a bit testy with him-- but it wasn't over his opinion of the song. We were discussing what I said to El Pup, and how Xavier78 misrepresented it. Given that, I don't believe you can make the argument that I was 'attacking' Xavier78 (or El Pup) for his opinion (specifically of RMM), I was 'attacking' him for quoting my name only, and then removing all my words, and then accusing me publicly of saying something I did not actually say, i.e. for intentionally or unintentionally attempting to make me look bad by flat-out misrepresenting what I said, without including any of offending the statements he claimed I made.

It was particularly irritating because Xavier78 claimed that I was saying something that was the exact opposite of what I said. (I said, over and over and over, "you are entitled to your opinion. But 'opinion' does not entitle one to fling insults.") That kind of misleading behavior does, in fact, piss me off to no end. I get irritated.

I have said, repeatedly, that I have no problem with people who don't agree with me: for example, Archemetis does a fantastic job of explaining his position (including addressing my question of "if you don't like it, why do you watch it?"), and he didn't feel the need to be insulting and rude to Ms. Mayes while he did it. I don't necessarily agree, but I understand what he was trying to convey-- and like I said, he didn't feel the need to resort to immature insults. That's a productive exchange of ideas, in my book.

In re: the insults: There has been a serious decline in civility on these forums lately: yet, the eternal optimist in me doesn't see it as people trying to be Internet Tough Guys, I just think we're seeing an influx of new, younger people who don't understand the art of good argumentation; after all, the people who behave in that fashion are usually younger- they haven't been pushed yet by higher education and real-life employment to defend their positions in a logical, thoughtful, and mature manner. I'm compelled by some neurosis to try to offer constructive criticism, even though usually my efforts are met with hostility and almost a willful misunderstanding. But I keep doing it. I guess I think maybe it'll sink in later, or maybe there will be some increment of change, no matter how small.

As I've said elsewhere, I think maintaining civility is very important (particularly in a medium where there are few repercussions for not behaving civilly), because if you start tolerating insults, virtually every disagreement will devolve into name-calling, and that's just boring and pointless.

I'd really rather not see the Escapist become another forum sewer that's just tarted up a bit by a semi-intellectual veneer.
I went in reverse order and understand what you are saying in this post. And I could except that if this was based off a single previous post and idea however you did have a few previous posts and many opinions and these seemed to mostly do what this guy was talking about...in my opinion ofcoarse; Attack people based on there views which differs from the norm of backing Ms. Mayes. And thats just the way I see it. I really don't 'care' either way but I do see where the guy was coming from, especially in lue of your response. Not starting a war, and I don't know either of you from Adam, but I just wanted to state my opinion on the information presented from an outside source...To Me you proved his point a bit, thats all. Good day.

Mr.Switchblade

Dec 1, 2008
" I found what you said about your girlfriend very disrespectful; I hope she finds a man who respects her as she deserves, which may in time, be you."

Party foul Rebecca. If being critical is an art form then tell me what being presumptuous is?

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Samcanuck said:
I went in reverse order and understand what you are saying in this post. And I could except that if this was based off a single previous post and idea however you did have a few previous posts and many opinions and these seemed to mostly do what this guy was talking about...in my opinion ofcoarse; Attack people based on there views which differs from the norm of backing Ms. Mayes. And thats just the way I see it. I really don't 'care' either way but I do see where the guy was coming from, especially in lue of your response. Not starting a war, and I don't know either of you from Adam, but I just wanted to state my opinion on the information presented from an outside source...To Me you proved his point a bit, thats all. Good day.
Again, all I ask is that you provide examples of where I attacked either person for their opinion of RMM. That's the basis of this dispute. Xavier did not say "You're being just as rude in your responses." I probably would have had to admit that was somewhat true if he had. He specifically accused me of attacking someone for holding an opinion which I disagree with. Which is false. If it were true, why did I not take everyone who posted a negative opinion in this thread to task??? I didn't because I never had a problem with the negative opinion, I had problem with the needless insults.

If you choose not to provide examples, you cannot reasonably expect me to consider your comment valid. It's not my responsibility to defend your position.

Sorry if I'm being tedious about this, but jumping into an argument and saying that 'I proved his point' is still you publicly saying 'you think I'm wrong'. And while I've been known to be mistaken from time to time, I'm not just going to admit that I'm wrong because you happen to think so.

Giandroid

Jun 15, 2010
Look, keep it up, Rebecca. You're doing a great job. You've got a beautiful singing voice and a sense of rhythm. Not everyone can make music (I sure can't), so there's that too. We all have slumps (I don't particularly agree entirely, though, I loved your 3 "M" songs). That's a reason I quit doing my comic strip and started writing my novel; I just couldn't get out of my rut. Also, I met my muse and couldn't believe how long it was taking to make a single comic, but yeah. I found other outlets.

But you BLEED music. You ARE music. You've probably got musical instruments and songbooks and guitar tablature littering your place of living like I do books and pencils and drawing paper and computers. If somebody cut you (I hope they don't), you'd most likely bleed in ocapello.

So keep it up. I didn't particularly like this song at all, as I've mentioned, but you can pull out of it because music is YOUR thing.

Luck and love.

ButterFunky

May 12, 2010
How the war started between the Autobots and the Decepticons: Look at above posts.
Everyone here is mistaken and hurt. Almost everyone's confused 'cause they just read the thing without trying to understand it at all. I believe that the situation today/night is much like the War For Cybertron, not the game but the war itself.
EDIT: Why can't we seem to stop conflicts without violence?

David Eller

Jun 26, 2010
You guys certainly have a sharp criticism for something. Why dont you go play music for pleasure for awhile, and then start sharing it with the world. And then the world pays you for it, and then tells you to conform to playing it even when it maybe not enough time to enjoy it, or enough time to make it just the way you want it. Even she said sometimes, by her deadline, she is disappointed by her own work, but at the same time, she is still proud of it, that she did it. Dont be some disapproving parent, dont lecture her about making music even if you do make it herself.

The rest of us still love you Reb-

EDIT: Constructive criticism however is totally useful and should be maintained! Without derogatory undertones of course.

Maibus

Aug 8, 2009
How come everyone keeps going on about how different it sounds? Every one of these songs sounds the same, mix them right and you wind up with like a 30 minute long song. I liked War for Cybertron >.>