Recommend me a good PC RPG that's not top down

Kasper Gundersen

Oct 18, 2010
Dungeon Siege is a really fun game, and is of elder date i think... I remember loving it, but can't play it with my new computer :'(

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
the Legacy of Kain, I guess

though I'm not really sure there, I haven't played them in a looong time

holy shit, I almost forgot

System Shock series

Taxman1

Sep 14, 2009
Merkavar said:
maybe try playing a game on your phone. looking at your computer specs your phone might be more powerful :)
It's an old samsung so I really hope it's not more powerful xD

Taxman1

Sep 14, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be sure to check these out this weekend.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
If you're still in the mood for suggestions, I'd try the games from Spiderweb Software. The Exile series should run just fine on your computer and you might be able to run the updated version, Avernum. All of them are good games.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
GF2... hmm... I know GF4 runs Quake 4 and even looks halfway decently. Dunno if KOTOR will run, but I recommend that.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
RPGs that aren't top-down and will run on your system... that's a tricky one. KOTOR and Jade Empire might work. I saw mentions of The Witcher, Oblivion and Bloodlines and I doubt any of them would run. You could look into Arx Fatalis. I own it, but have never played it. Can be found on Steam and gog.com for cheap. Older Elder Scrolls games - such as Daggerfall (freeware, I think) - will be an option. If you don't mind something like Diablo then check out Torchlight as well.

Non RPG games, look up Starlancer for a great space combat game (probably hard to find though). Adventure games will be your friend as they're pretty low spec, so I'd say to check out The Longest Journey. Impulse has an offer on Total Annihilation this weekend which is always a classic RTS. And speaking of classic RTS, various Command and Conquer games are freeware available on the EA website. For lots of things that will almost certainly run, I highly recommend you check out Good Old Games,

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Wizardry 8, but if you don't want to feel lost and feel like you might give in then don't bother.

Try Grandia 2 and Divine Divinity.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Taxman1 said:
Basically I hit a brick wall lately. My gaming PC is out of reach and I lost my copy of Diablo 2. I thought maybe the kind and helpful people at the Escapist can help me out here. I need something long and satisfying so RPGs should do the trick but I have a disorder with old school PC games like Baldurs Gate ( I can't play anything past the 2002 era or my PC will scream and shout at me.) I always get the feeling of being lost and not having the ability to continue on. It doesn't necessarily have to be a RPG as I'm up for anything to kill boredom
PC specs:
Ram:384MB
Processor:Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 64mb
umm... not top down... with thoes specs... uhh...
I'm stuck...

KotOR probably wouldn't run...

umm...

I'd say get System Shock 2 (if you can get your hands on that hard as heck to find game)

MassiveGeek said:
MINECRAFT.

Should keep you busy. :)
*grumbles* freaking fanboys *grumbles*

*AH-AHEM*

Sorry, I don't think it'll run that well on his CPU

and my short answer for that sandbox in general is...

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-"

EDIT: OH WAIT!

GET GOTHIC, AND/OR MORROWIND!

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Taxman1 said:
stukov961 said:
Starcraft & Starcraft Brood War.
It runs on pretty much everything, and the campaign of both will chew up some time.
Especially if you never cheat since some missions can be pretty darned hard if not done right.

Edit: then there's Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, which will probably run better on your old PC than on most new ones.
And Freelancer is something I feel everyone should play, since I'm assuming from the specs you gave that it's a laptop, Freelancer is nigh on impossible to play without a mouse or a joystick.
It's not a laptop, it's an actual desktop so I'll try Freelancer. Also Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines requires more ram the minimum system lists so I wasn't able to play that.
No offense but with those specs he probably can't run freelancer (although it WAS a GREAT game that was VASTLY overlooked)

Taxman1

Sep 14, 2009
Casimir_Effect said:
RPGs that aren't top-down and will run on your system... that's a tricky one. KOTOR and Jade Empire might work. I saw mentions of The Witcher, Oblivion and Bloodlines and I doubt any of them would run. You could look into Arx Fatalis. I own it, but have never played it. Can be found on Steam and gog.com for cheap. Older Elder Scrolls games - such as Daggerfall (freeware, I think) - will be an option. If you don't mind something like Diablo then check out Torchlight as well.

Non RPG games, look up Starlancer for a great space combat game (probably hard to find though). Adventure games will be your friend as they're pretty low spec, so I'd say to check out The Longest Journey. Impulse has an offer on Total Annihilation this weekend which is always a classic RTS. And speaking of classic RTS, various Command and Conquer games are freeware available on the EA website. For lots of things that will almost certainly run, I highly recommend you check out Good Old Games,
Do you know which Command and Conquer I should start with? I was always curious about the series.

Jnacos

Jun 13, 2009
Check out Neverwinter Nights, I got it last night and I still haven't quit playing. It has camera options to where it doesn't have to be top down.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
MassiveGeek said:
MINECRAFT.

Should keep you busy. :)
*grumbles* freaking fanboys *grumbles*

*AH-AHEM*

Sorry, I don't think it'll run that well on his CPU

and my short answer for that sandbox in general is...

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-"

EDIT: OH WAIT!

GET GOTHIC, AND/OR MORROWIND![/quote]

I'm not a boy?

Or that much of a fan, but if you get into it, Minecraft is a good way to kill boredom. And time. And life.

Taxman1

Sep 14, 2009
WOPR said:
I can actually play Kotor, but it fell kind of incompetent around the middle of the game. I suppose it gravitates towards the Star Wars crowd which I why I couldn't get into it? I don't know

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Taxman1 said:
WOPR said:
I can actually play Kotor, but it fell kind of incompetent around the middle of the game. I suppose it gravitates towards the Star Wars crowd which I why I couldn't get into it? I don't know
Huh, well glad you could run it, try Freelancer

and no if anything KotOR is the ONE game that's starwars that you don't have to like starwars to like the game (like me)

I'll admit I had fun with Battlefront 2 for awhile but that got really old really fast... I probably liked it because for once you had the same stats as the people you were killing in the campaign rather then being some ubered up super soldier that owns everyone without trying... I however tried and Me + Sniper rifle = Win game congrats

Taxman1

Sep 14, 2009
WOPR said:
Taxman1 said:
WOPR said:
Huh, well glad you could run it, try Freelancer

and no if anything KotOR is the ONE game that's starwars that you don't have to like starwars to like the game (like me)

I'll admit I had fun with Battlefront 2 for awhile but that got really old really fast... I probably liked it because for once you had the same stats as the people you were killing in the campaign rather then being some ubered up super soldier that owns everyone without trying... I however tried and Me + Sniper rifle = Win game congrats
I guess I'll give it another shot.
So far I have I think 4 games that I will try out, 3 if I can't find Freelancer. Keep the suggestions coming in case none of them work out or something else happens.