Recommend me an anime(that isn't about kids in high school.)

marche45

Nov 16, 2008
Basically the title,and yes that also excludes anime with high-school esque academy settings(like Infinite stratos.)
Also just to save you some time,i've seen pretty much all the anime thats aired on adult swim so you can skip the obvious ones like cowboy bebop and FMA.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Tokyo Godfathers
Paprika
Paranoia Agent

Satoshi Kon's stuff is about as far removed from general anime as the movies from the West.

There's also Angel's Egg, Memories, Robot Carnival, and Neo Tokyo Labyrinth.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Darker Than Black. Set in the near future, ten years after an area of space in Tokyo appeared called Hells' Gate. Around the same time as the incident causing this to happen, certain people around the world developed certain abilities. Some became "Contractors", able to use special abilities that they must pay a specific price to use (hence the name) and others became "Dolls", passive beings able to use psychic abilities to travel outside of their bodies to other locations.

Both are primarily used by secret societies and government agencies as assassins and spies (although the general populace remain unaware of their existence). As well as their abilities they are also incapable of feeling emotion and able to look at things completely rationally, meaning their own survival takes precedent over any sense of loyalty.

The story follows a particular unit working for an organisation only known as "The Syndicate" and includes the mysterious Contractor BK-201 (the central character) and slowly unravels a conspiracy involving Hell's Gate, that is of interest to both Contractors and normal humans.

It's often described as a Film Noir type anime, and is overall quite serious in tone. There is light hearted humour here and there, and is (aside from the special abilities) quite grounded. No super-humans charging up giant fireballs while shouting, no characters wearing outfits of questionable value in combat and no "Kawaii" or "Moe" either.

The OVA's are all good as well, but the second series is a little... disappointing overall.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Kino's Journey is thirteen episodes long, and probably the most poetic anime I've ever seen. It's about a woman named Kino and her sentient motorcycle Hermes, who travel around the world and see a lot of different places, all of them bautiful in their own way. Highly recommended.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
Legion said:
Yes! This. Can't go wrong with Chinese electric batman as the main character.

I don't know what shows air on adult swim so I will say Baccano and samurai champloo.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
These are all I can contribute after scrolling my anime list.

Blood Lad (comedy, action, romance)
Hataraku Maou-sama! (comedy, action, romance)
Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou (comedy, random)
Maouyuu Maou Yuusha (drama, romance, action, spice and wolf ripoff)
NHK ni Youkoso! (comedy, drama)
Servant X Service (comedy)

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
If you're into Sci-fi, try Geneshaft or Crest of the Stars. If you're more the fantasy type, try Record of Lodoss War. If you want complete comedy and don't mind blatant fanservice, Slayers is the way to go.

Now this one is a high-school set type, but it's such a wacky deconstruction of everything I'll mention it anyway - Azumanga Daioh.

Also I don't know what aired on Adult Swim and therefore what's obvious ^^

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Another poster has already recommended Darker Than Black so I won't go into it, but I do highly recommend it.

There's Ergo Proxy, which takes place in a dystopian future where humanity has been forced to live in domes. Much of the series is a few of the characters trying to reach a specific dome on a sort of a self-discovery journey that gets rather twisted in some episodes. It doesn't end on the greatest of notes and tends to ramble a lot, but it is still overall enjoyable.

Wolf's Rain is somewhat similar to Ergo Proxy in that it takes place in a rather dystopian future in which humanity has been reduced to living in walled-off areas of the world. However, I found Wolf's Rain to be more compelling. The entire show is a group of wolves (who often pose as humans) trying to find the woman (i.e. Flower Maiden) that will lead them to Paradise. The show, like Ergo Proxy, has some philosophical discussion, but it is paced better and tends to not get full of itself all the time. Personally, it is one of my favorite shows ever.

Witch Hunter Robin follows a group of witch hunters as they take down those who abuse their powers. The show is mostly "monster of the week" styled for half of the series with the other half being more of an overarching story that draws some inspiration from what happened in events like the Salem Witch Trials. It's decently enjoyable, though things start getting convoluted as time goes on but never so bad that you can't follow what's happening.

Anyways, sorry if any of these have been on Adult Swim, but I don't watch it.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
"Baccano!"

It's...complicated. It's not set in a high school, it's set mostly in depression era america, with a focus on the incredibly violent passage of one train.

However, it's a non linear narrative that jumps between places, characters, and times, spanning decades at points. The main plot concerns rival crime families, a couple of petty thieves with a whacky MO, an insane hitman, a monster, and a bunch of immortals, to name only a few.

You'd be right in thinking it's hard to follow, and you'd be right. During the earlier episodes, at least. At this point, you have only a few pieces of the puzzle, but they are well chosen to be the most interesting ones, setting up the questions you would most wish to be answered, in a way a linear narrative never could, gripping you from the start. It even drops subtle clues in the intro and credits to things you won't even know about yet, and seeing everything come together later on is great, especially when it turns out to be the very opposite from what you expected.

From an entertainment view, it's enthralling, from an artistic and storytelling point of view, it's essential.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
This one goes to basically every anime recommendation thread I come across, but The Vision of Escaflowne is a really good fantasy series, though most of the characters are high school age. Don't let that fool you though, it's a very fun and entertaining adventure with an incredible score.

Wolf Children is a very sweet and realistic family story (featuring werewolves, but that's not the point). Think My Neighbor Totoro with a dash of Whisper of the Heart and a pinch of Princess Mononoke. It's a fairly long and slow movie though, so don't go in expecting an adrenaline-fuelled thrill ride.

Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic is a very imaginative fantasy series set in a world inspired by the Thousand and One Nights. I've only seen the first episode, but the manga is very good, and judging by the reviews the series adapts it succesfully.

And while I would rather recommend reading the manga, Berserk is a decent dark fantasy series set in a medieval Europe-esque world. The animation is fugly though, so lower your standards going in.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
marche45 said:
Basically the title,and yes that also excludes anime with high-school esque academy settings(like Infinite stratos.)
Also just to save you some time,i've seen pretty much all the anime thats aired on adult swim so you can skip the obvious ones like cowboy bebop and FMA.
Hanamaru Kindergarten.

This isn't even a total joke reply - I for one really liked it.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn. A series of 7 hour-long OVAs (final one yet to be released)

It's superb in every way. Story, animation, soundtrack and visuals. Even if you're not familiar with the prequels, you'll love it.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Fairy Tail, it is the best anime about magic guilds in a 1600s(ish)europe with magic punk elements on occasion.

Fairhy tail is pretty awesome.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
Here's my recommendations

Baccano
Fate/Zero
Steins;Gate
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Black Lagoon
Monster
Jormungand
Michiko to Hatchin

I would recommend Durarara, but 3 of the protagonists are in high school, so idk.
Edit: How could I forget Psycho Pass

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Darker than Black, Baccano, and Kino's Journey.

... Which have all been mentioned. Fuck my lateness.

Anyway, they're all good. Darker than Black is Chinese Electric Batman with a grounded set of superpowers and internal logic, Baccano is Baccano meaning that you're going to have to watch it to understand what it's about, and Kino's Journey is about a girl and her motorcycle travelling around the world.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
marche45 said:
Berserk. It's basically Game of Thrones, except it's actually good. I take that back, it's great. Seriously, I'm morally obligated to mention this on every Anime post. The best character development I've ever seen in an anime.

Serial Experiments Lain. Similar to Neon Genesis. It's slowly paced, and not for everyone, but if you like to think then you'll like this show. Technically the characters are school aged, but it's not about school.

Cowboy Bebop. You've probably already seen it. If you watch only one anime in your whole life, watch Berserk. If you watch two animes, watch Cowboy Bebop.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Eureka Seven. Either the movie or series - they are completely different. While the movie takes place in a ravaged land with a parasite new race trying to overcome humans, the series and manga share a plot. It also has awesome robots and at one point has a person's face burnt off. I reccomend a subbed version, the English dubbing is so cheesy and narmy, particuarly Eureka herself.

Arashi no Yoru ni. Japan has finally managed to out-Disney Disney. And it's well animated, the writing is good for a kids' tv show, and it's tolerable. Which they also managed to out-Disney Disney with.

DaGobbo

Sep 14, 2010
Here's my recommendation;

Vandread (Set in space, two planets, one for males one for females. They are sworn enemies. 2 groups of guys and girls thrown together on a strange ship in the middle of nowhere trying to get home, come across a common enemy. Great anime, the male vs female propaganda is hilarous. Even girls like this one. )
Hunter X Hunter (The original. The remake is alright too)
Trigun (If you haven't heard of it yet.)
Read or Die (Great little mini series, 3 episodes).

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Elfgore said:
NHK ni Youkoso! (comedy, drama)
I can never recommend this one before someone else do. However, this anime is amazing. I am currently rewatching it and I still find it amazing.The comedy is pretty dark and at times you're not sure if you should laugh or cry. It's 25 episodes so it's not very long.

There's Yuru Yuri. That's about middle school girls (yes I am suggesting this as a joke).

You should really make an effort into stating your preferences, because even as far as high school centred anime goes there's a lot of variation. You should state if you want humour, action, fantasy, drama or something. I need more to work with.