Recommend me and my boyfriend a good coop shooter

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
daveman247 said:
gmergurl said:
Two things:
1. No CoD or MW please.
2. We only have pc (Steam) and PS3 available to us.

So my boyfriend and I have come to a bit of standstill with shooters to play together. We've played Borderlands (loved it), Resistance: Fall of Man (loved it in the beginning, then came back and not so much love), Army of Two (loved the first one, the second not so much). We own Pay Day: The Heist, but I haven't downloaded it just yet... doing that tonight actually.

We really enjoy playing games together, but we've kinda beaten every coop game we have, to the point we're even making single player games co-op but that's a bit less fun. Anything that's not really repetitive would be awesome (of course it's shooters so I don't expect much). We are college kids, so anything cheap(er) would be greatly appreciated. :)

We already have Dungeon Defenders so no need to recommend that either.
-Fear 3 is quite good for co op.
-Rainbow 6 vegas 1-2 are excellant tactical shooters.
-Resident evil 5 may not be scary, but non-the-less has excellant co op.
And the other games people have suggested - Especially L4d2. BEST CO OP GAME EVER!

Also timesplitters is only on ps2 and xbox. And do not play on the ps3.
I have to agree with Resident Evil 5. It's great when you can play co-op. Kinda bad otherwise...

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Axb993 said:
I'd say Left 4 Dead 1 or 2. They're made by Valve meaning that no matter how good they actually are they are awesome,
As sad and pathetic as advocacy like this is, it shouldn't shy you away; Left 4 Dead 2 is legitimately a good multiplayer game.

I'll also put in another vote for Borderlands, but it's not as well refined as it could be. The RPG elements can be odd as well, but it doesn't take long at all for you to get over stuff like the fact that shooting a guy in the head isn't a sure kill, even if it does do bonus damage regardless. The two ought to keep you both busy for a time, though.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Yopaz said:
I have to agree with Resident Evil 5. It's great when you can play co-op. Kinda bad otherwise...
That game was made to play co-op, it sucks balls to play single player because Sheva has her head up her ass half of the time, and the other half of the time she heals you when you get a scratch.

I agree with all the people saying L4D. L4D2 has a more interesting multiplayer, but I love the campaign and the feel of the levels in L4D.
Can you play Halo on steam? I'm not entirely sure. If you can, definitely pick that up.
And yeah, you can't go wrong with TF2, that game is amazing to play with 1+ friends.

Paul_kir

Aug 17, 2008
Team fortess 2 is a good game you can play together and it costs nothing to play it but it's not really Coop. Other than that L4D2 and Portal 2 but you might want to wait for a sale.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Torrasque said:
Yopaz said:
That game was made to play co-op, it sucks balls to play single player because Sheva has her head up her ass half of the time, and the other half of the time she heals you when you get a scratch.
When a kid scratches his knee his/her mother usually put a band aid on it. Sheva would bandage it until the kid looks like a mummy.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
One that people haven't mentioned is Payday: The Heist.

It's hard to explain, but it's pure exciting, adrenaline filled fun. Check it out.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Came here to say Resident Evil 5 and Left 4 Dead, like a few others.

Best co-op games I've ever played.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Transformers: War for Cybertron.
No local co-op (i.e. split-screen), but the campaign is specifically designed for co-op play. Each mission is tackled by 3 bots, each of which may be commandeered by a player (and the AI handles the rest).
If you want the full story on why I recommend this great game, go here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.204686-Study-Break-TRANSFORMERS-WAR-FOR-CYBERTRON
Also, the game's well over a year old at this point, so it shouldn't be all that expensive anymore.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
If you're open to third-person shooters, then you could give the Conflict series a look in. Desert Storm 2 was always considered the best but Global Storm is good too. Just don't go for Denied Ops.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
The way I see it, there are currently only 3 games that promote proper co-op instead of "several people playing independently but merely on the same team".

- L4D (1 or 2, but if you're gonna get one go with 2)
- Portal 2
- PAYDAY, The Heist.

So, adding my voice to the crowd. Personally I've been spending a LOT of time on PAYDAY. It's quite the underrated gem.

Edit: To expand on that a little:

From those, Portal 2 is the most "co-op intensive", the one that requires the most coordination to do well, while Payday gives you the most room for individual action. In PAYDAY it's actually possible to go from start to finish on your own, without any help, but it's insanely difficult, and any mistake, no matter how small, can spell your doom.

Portal 2 is the one that stands out as completely different from the other 2 - it's about completing puzzles. This comes with the downside that it has very little "replayability". Once you complete a puzzle you know the puzzle. So once you finish the game, that's that.

L4D and PAYDAY have the most replayability due to randomized factors. From those two, L4D is more about making it from one end of the map to the other alive and in one piece, while PAYDAY is about completing objectives.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Dead island is great for co op play via lan
Don't care what anyone says that game was amazing good
Other than that L4D2 and I don't know about Resistance 3, but Resistance 2 has very good co op mode

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Yopaz said:
Torrasque said:
Yopaz said:
When a kid scratches his knee his/her mother usually put a band aid on it. Sheva would bandage it until the kid looks like a mummy.
Imagine Sheva in Skyrim...

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
gmergurl said:
Two things:
1. No CoD or MW please.
2. We only have pc (Steam) and PS3 available to us.

So my boyfriend and I have come to a bit of standstill with shooters to play together. We've played Borderlands (loved it), Resistance: Fall of Man (loved it in the beginning, then came back and not so much love), Army of Two (loved the first one, the second not so much). We own Pay Day: The Heist, but I haven't downloaded it just yet... doing that tonight actually.

We really enjoy playing games together, but we've kinda beaten every coop game we have, to the point we're even making single player games co-op but that's a bit less fun. Anything that's not really repetitive would be awesome (of course it's shooters so I don't expect much). We are college kids, so anything cheap(er) would be greatly appreciated. :)

We already have Dungeon Defenders so no need to recommend that either.
Left 4 Dead is a great one (apparently Payday is in a similar theme, but I think zombie killing has more lasting appeal than bank robbery). It's cheap as chips even when not on sale (which seem to be one every 2nd month) and you can buy a 4-pack for high value.

Also, try Team Fortress 2 as a dedicated medic + heavy/pyro team and coordinate your ass kicking.

Portal 2 is an option but I've never found someone who ants to play it AND is up for the puzzle co-op, it can test ones patience quite a lot.

Oct 11, 2011
As weird as this sounds, Star Wars Battlefront 2 (for Steam) had some of the best split-screen gameplay...although it wasn't really co-op unless you were on the same team...but there are mods that make co-op 2 players vs. EVERYONE ELSE games.

If you want to get from place to place in co-op, the Left 4 Dead and Portal (Steam or 360) series are both really good.

Also Killing Floor (Steam) was another good one. Think Counter-Strike (Buying weapons using in-game currency) meets Left 4 Dead (in terms of setting) and Stephen King's It (You can buy a mod for clowns...and its creepy). It has been criticized for being too repetitive, but I've had a blast with it when I played at the local cyber-cafe on the weekends with my roommates and friends. I plan on getting it after I upgrade my PC.

Hope you find more games to play with your BF! :)

P.S. CoD and MW are the same...btw