Recommend me some books.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I just got a kindle for Christmas, but I'm not much of a book person. Recommend me some good books.

I enjoy pretty much any setting as long as it's interesting.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

You'll either think it's a masterpiece or damn me for ever introducing such a book to you...

...Umm? Oh! and it's about cowboys.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher- Harry dresden is a wizard PI who always ends up saving the world. Bad guys include Vampires (Good ones, not twilight crap), faries (immortal, super powerfull psychotic megalomaniacs, who just like to screw with people), fallen Angels, warlocks (evil wizards) and others I cannot say for plot reasons. First book is called Storm front, currently 14 books and there are more to come.

The Night Angel trillogy by Brent Weeks- think Game of thrones with more magic and less boring politics (there is politics but it normaly ends with an assasination and/or general violance), pov of many characters but the main character is a master assasin with magic powers.

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher- Follows a number of characters, Alera is a land that is basicaly ancient rome except everyone has a superpower, sometimes more to create and control Fire (control/create fire/heat), water (Control water, Healing and the ability to read peoples emotions, shapeshift and lets you look as old as you want) , air (let people fly, so cool, make invisability shields, enhance speed and reflexes), earth (control earth and super strength, sense where other people are standing so you can never be snuck up on), wood (control wood and plants) and metal (make weapons made out of metal stronger, ingance any armor you are wearing, allows you to sense metal making it easy to parry), via spirts called Furys, except for the main character Tavi. He is the only one of his kind who has no power so he has lernt to think is way round problems, he always has a plan. Has battles that make Lord of the Rings seem small and some very cool races including a gient, talking, intelligent wolf race called Canim.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher- Harry dresden is a wizard PI who always ends up saving the world. Bad guys include Vampires (Good ones, not twilight crap), faries (immortal, super powerfull psychotic megalomaniacs, who just like to screw with people), fallen Angels, warlocks (evil wizards) and others I cannot say for plot reasons. First book is called Storm front, currently 14 books and there are more to come.

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher- Follows a number of characters, Alera is a land that is basicaly ancient rome except everyone has a superpower, sometimes more to create and control Fire (control/create fire/heat), water (Control water, Healing and the ability to read peoples emotions, shapeshift and lets you look as old as you want) , air (let people fly, so cool, make invisability shields, enhance speed and reflexes), earth (control earth and super strength, sense where other people are standing so you can never be snuck up on), wood (control wood and plants) and metal (make weapons made out of metal stronger, ingance any armor you are wearing, allows you to sense metal making it easy to parry), via spirts called Furys, except for the main character Tavi. He is the only one of his kind who has no power so he has lernt to think is way round problems, he always has a plan. Has battles that make Lord of the Rings seem small and some very cool races including a gient, talking, intelligent wolf race called Canim.
I'm going to have to second these. Pretty much anything by Jim Butcher is guaranteed to be insanely awesome. Let this sum up the Dresden Files

yes, that's a wizard with a leather longcoat riding a zombified T-rex through Chicago.

The Codex Alera builds up in intensity over the series so the last one, First Lord's Fury, is basically one spectacular awesome moment after another, in a pitched battle that makes Lord of the Rings look like a bar fight in comparison. I won't give spoilers, but trust me, you won't be disappointed with either.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
The Game of Thrones Series is amazing. I'm not much of a fantasy guy and I really enjoyed it.

Starship Troopers is good.

The Hunger Games Series is a very good set and has very good pacing. Easy to keep reading.

Those are just a few I've enjoyed.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
http://www.gutenberg.org/

I also got a Kindle for Christmas (well, technically getting as not seeing parents till tomorrow) and this site will be my first stop. There's a reason why authors such as Poe, Dickens and Shakespeare are considered classics and at the price of absolutely nothing, there's no excuse not to give them a try. It may also be worth double checking copyright laws in your country as there are some authors out of copyright some places and not others so you may be able to get copies of authors works (like H.P. Lovecraft, out of copyright in the UK, still copyrighted in the USA) cheap (or free) legitimately with a small amount of digging.

For specifics, A Christmas Carol by Dickens, The Prince by Machiavelli and Notes from the Underground by Dostoyevsky.

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
"I am America and So Can You" and "America Again, Re-becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't" both by Stephen Colbert. They're both very funny books presented in a similar style to the Colbert Report.

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
> Ctrl+F
> "Good Omens"
> 0 results

I do this every time, and every time with the same results.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. A semi-biography of Miyamoto Musashi, very well written and lots of memorable, well-rounded characters.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. If you think fantasy has nothing worth reading, read this and then think again.

H.P. Lovecraft collections. Excellent and imaginative horror stories.

The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear, a very imaginative, fairy tale-ish adventure. Not your typical fantasy fare: the main character, for example, is a blue bear who is raised by pint-sized pirates after being found drifting in the sea in a seashell. What later follows is a fireworks display of imagination including people with seven brains, gigantic spiders, a city that is a half-mirage, a tornado with an entire town inside it, giants so huge their heads hang in space and much much more.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
King Billi said:
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

You'll either think it's a masterpiece or damn me for ever introducing such a disgusting book to you...

...Umm? Oh! and it's about cowboys.
Yes. Make that two recommendations on Blood Meridian. An excellent book. And a terrifying villain, too. I also read All the Pretty Horses which is the beginning of a trilogy, if you really like the first book.

I've been reading a lot of Phil K. Dick lately. Ubik and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? are great sci-fi novels. I'll vouch for him.

donisaac

Aug 9, 2011
The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. I had to read it for my school project and I ended up reading it in one sitting. Tremendous book. Only time I've ever connected with a main character. I really recommend giving it a try.

I would also recommend The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco...very thrilling and very interesting as well as well written.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
If you have any interest in historical Roman fiction, I'd recommend:

Simon Scarrow - Cato & Macro series, set in the time of Claudius (second invasion of Britain), 11 books so far, and set to continue through the Year of 4 Emperors into Vespasian's reign.

S.J.A Turney - Marius' Mules series. Mostly following the exploits of Caesar and the Legates of his legions during the Gallic wars.

Harry Sidebottom - Warrior of Rome series. Follows a character called Ballista, through his ups and downs during the later years of the Empire, not the best of the three but still a decent read.

For flat out fantasy I'd have to say James Barclay, Chronicles of The Raven, and Legends of The Raven series, about a group of mercenaries who initially get unwillingly dragged into events way beyond their control.

If you are after more modern day action adventure type stuff, then you can't really go wrong with Clive Cussler, in particular the Dirk Pitt and/or Oregon Files novel series.

If you are unsure what you are after, the kindle store on amazon has a large selection of free books, and a huge library of dirt cheap ones too, never hurts to browse through those.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
The Hobbit
Lord of The Rings
On a Pale Horse
Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy
The Quiet American
A Burnt-Out Case
The Necronomicon (well more a collection of stories)

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Pretty much anything by Terry Pratchet, though the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy is a good choice too.

Omega07

Sep 1, 2010
hmm... I`d recommend "A Clockwork Orange", a bit of the old ultraviolence...
also "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury (or actually anything by him) is a nice and easy (in my opinion) read...
Hobbit and Lord of The Rings (if you haven`t read them already)
Hitchhiker`s guide to the galaxy (laughed from cover to cover - have never again been that close to asphyxiation by laughter)
also Metro 2033 by Dimitri Gluhkovsky (russian Fantasy writers are one of the best in my opinion)...
there are a lot more i could list as potentially good books, but can`t name them now...

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
The Name of the Wind
Yay, Im first to mention it!
Also His Dark Materials is pretty good and original.
As for scifi Enders Game and its two branches Speaker for the Dead and Shadows are really good. Also another honorable mentions are 1984 which today is more like alternative history than scifi but its stil brilliant, Lord of Light beautifly mixes technocracy with Indian mythology and Solaris will show you how alien can aliens truly be.
If you want something with real science and thats fun to listen try Brief History of Time, Decoding Reality; The Universe as Quantum Information or anything by or about Feynman.