Recurring themes in your dreams

Aaronbxiii

Sep 30, 2011
I have some very vivid dreams. Im a musician with high ambitions so I have lots of dreams of songs I never heard before and when im lucky enough to remember the melody, I make the song for real. its awesome. also i will be moon jumping like I had high acrobatic skill in oblivion (best way to descibe it)

I just wish this one nightmare I had was recurring although. it was sort of resident evil themed but i felt so many emotions in that dream!

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I've had a recurring dream for nearly a decade now...
I'm walking through a mist-filled town... its empty and quiet.
I come to the town's center to find a dying apple tree smack dab
in the middle of it. The last apple falls off, and is instantly consumed by worms
when it hits the ground. Whatever juices they miss bleed onto the pavement.

Very strange dream.

Blair Bennett

Jan 25, 2008
Dirtbikes. I've had at least 4 dreams in the last 2 months that prominently feature dirtbikes. Other than that, there was this reoccurring series of dreams I had a few years ago that had to do with punishment, scapegoating, and acceptance. It was all sort of abstract and it's difficult to remember all of the details now, though I remembered them better than I have other dreams.

Also, I've been much more self-aware and lucid in my dreams recently, but it's more of a hindrance than anything else. It goes like this: something particularly odd will occur, and I'll notice. I'll sit there and think about how this could possibly be a dream, so I should try to do something to confirm it. This usually takes the form of me attempting to slap myself in the face, but, try as I might, I can't lift my arms. Now, normally becoming aware of one's presence in a dream can result in them waking abruptly, right? Not the case here. What typically happens in that I'm them incapable of doing anything, or progressing in the dream in any way until I willingly chose ignorance. In other words, if I don't allow myself to think the dream is reality, I become fundamentally useless and nothing happens.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
It's a fairly recent theme, but lately whenever I have a nightmare(which has been quite often for the last 6 months sadly) someone or something always either severely injures or kills my two kittens. I've woken up in tears before because of how realistic it is sometimes, including hearing their mewling for days afterwards...

Other than that for some reason I often have a Cyndaquil in my good dreams, even if they aren't even vaguely Pokemon related.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
90% of the people I encounter my dreams are short-tempered, self-rightious, moronic assholes who are unconvincingly oblivious to their short-tempered, self-rightious moronic asshole behavior - to them, they are just right - and it should be obvious.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
I can only remember 2 dreams:
I went to school and I realized I forgot to get dressed and get out of bed, but somehow I was at school. Somehow.
(This one was from when I was 5) I went into my backyard and slid down a slide, which somehow slingshotted me to the moon. Somehow.

Captain_Fantastic

Jun 28, 2011
telekinesis is the one thing i have noticed alot of in my dreams to the point that for a day after ill be trying to use it in waking life

flight is also one that ive had a few times

i also have some other varied powers that i remember just having a few times

and love... be it of sexual nature or just being able to "be with"/cuddle with somebody i like
something i am currently lacking in waking life

but if i were to magically make it real i would honestly go for the superpowers just because they will be better in the long run

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
Got 3:

1. Being chased by through the fog, then coming to and while climbing up i feel the is already behind me and will grab me any second.

2. Seeing some dark cloaked figure coming up to me and i'm with the back to a wall and cant move or scream.

3. Walking around in broad daylight, suddenly realizing i can fly if i concentrate and then later it doesnt work anymore.

I find the last one really cool, i had this about 3-5 times iirc.

Chrmike

Oct 20, 2009
Clocks. Since I was 18, I've had the same dream about being surrounded by various clocks at least once every three-four months. Creepy.

Also, the kind of dreams that are according to Yahtzee, "perfectly normal for growing young men." ;)

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
Two things, a guy in my multimedia class that I have a giant crush on, and general bizarre stuff. I had a very vivid one where I brutally murdered Spongebob... I think I need help...

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
I always dream about video games I've played. I've been an engineer, I've been the tank exploring some dungeon with a party or sneaking around as a sniper.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Classic horror movie dreams where I just walk up and back hand the villain, and club in the face with his own axe.

casualty list: Freddy, Jason Voorheese, It the clown, Cthulhu, Dracula, The Wolfman, Creaure from black lagoon, gathers from amnesia.

my sense of fear got replaced with apathy years ago.

sycoesis

May 31, 2010
ther are 2 for me

one is that there are 2 of me (no good or evil just 2 of me)

the second is it is almost always (at least 80% of the time) the end of the world

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Ex girlfriend seems to haunt me five nights out of seven. I've also dreamt about the tooth thing before, but only once or twice.

Another recurring theme is not being able to throw punches. Feeling utterly feeble, basically.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Being a complete badass in stories of my own creation of course! Come on, who hasn't had at least one dream in their life where you're the most awesome dude(tte) ever?

EDIT: Oh hey, post #300. Guess I'll celebrate or something.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I can never see myself in my dreams. Not in mirrors or even still-water. It's usually always first-person, or as if I am watching a movie on a theater screen. It feels like I have no identity. Is the first person really supposed to be me, or am I looking through someone elses eyes like a video game? I can't tell.

However, I have moments in my dreams where I don't like what is happening so much out of fear, I can change it. As if I am so scared of what could possibly occur, and that I know it can't be reality, my dream becomes lucid. It's only happened a couple of times, but each time I was pretty relieved. I went from being in what looked like an extremely gore filled horror sequence, closing my eyes and wishing to be somewhere else, and I opening them to reveal a snowy tundra. Oddly enough, in the horror scene my dream was first-person, then in the snowy tundra it felt like I was in a theater.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
One for me is it's always in third person. I'm watching myself, aware that I'm dreaming. I (the watcher) have no body, no form. But the other me (participating in the dream) is always looking for something. I don't think I'll ever know what it is, but I hope I find it.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Getting stuck in an elevator, jumping from very high places thinking I'm probably going to die or be badly hurt but landing on my two feet perfectly fine, running on all fours as fast as a car and being able to travel like that just as far...

The weirdest one though might be this fictional game made by Peter Molyneux, a kind of a combination of Fable and Black & White in a castle of sorts, with an isometric view, like the best game ever... I don't even like isometric view lol.

Gnarynhar

Jan 9, 2010
Hmm, one thing that pops up most every week is that a dream will be almost cinematic in scope and damnit, why did I have to wake up when I did, I wanted to see what happened next!

The other thing that pops up is that if I somehow transition from a watcher to participating as myself and I know it's a dream, I still can't control anything that happens (lucid dreaming my ass) and if I'm fighting in it or need to move, I can't. Although at least twice that I can remember when I'm right on the verge of waking up, I get jerked out of dreaming by physically moving, one time as I punched my bedside table thinking it was my brother's face (although in the dream he totally deserved it, and in another instance where I tried to punch a zombie in the dream but couldn't move my arm, but woke up as I was able to use the other arm to bitchslap it and woke up as I swept half the stuff off my bedside table.