Recurring themes in your dreams

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Magicmad5511 said:
2 things I've noticed recurring in my dreams.

1. Not being able to speak out loud. If I do it wakes me up.

2. Masturbating in places I shouldn't such as classrooms during lessons.

I think their is something wrong with my mind.
Then allow me to put your mind at ease. I'm the truly insane one in this thread.

I dream the future, but in the dream everyone's always really pissed off at me.

As a child, I had a recurring nightmare of being mauled by the Fox's Mints polar bear.

Although not a recurring dream, one very vivid one I had was that I was walking down a driveway and suddenly a green panther leapt out at me. I turned and ran, and it literally chased me across the world. Across deserts, the arctic, through cities. Finally, I was for some reason walking out of the ocean like terminator, my back carved up by hundreds of narrow escapes. Then, somehow, I was in Minecraft. I thought, "well, it can't have chased me into minecraft!"

I was wrong. There it was. But then I realized since it was Minecraft I could just sign out. So I did, and woke up.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Teeth falling out means you're incredibly unhappy with your appearance. May have something to do with your ex, if they started insulting you when you broke up.

My dreams usually involve my boyfriend and he usually does something to upset me or cheats on me. I feel anger a lot in my dreams. I wake up crying a few times a week too. Sometimes I'll have a silly dream about work. *sigh* I haven't had a lovely dream in a while.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Most of my dreams is me being back in High School and hanging out with my ex friends much to my dismay. It's annoying since this type of dream make me feel that I got school tomorrow which I am no longer a teenager.
I guessing from a psychological stand point I guess I miss being in High school since I had a purpose/ something to do by then.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
For the past few years, when I actually remember dreaming, it's always pretty standard stuff. I play games, sit at the computer, ponder which shirt to wear... Then I wake up and for a few minutes it's like I've woken up in another universe.
Fuckin' pills, man.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I keep dying in my dreams, having a mad man chase me down with a chainsaw, drowning, falling, suffocating in a vacuum, chased down by animals. The dreamstory is different, but the end result is always the same.

Not sure why it keeps happening. It has gone down in the past year, but it still pops up every now and then.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Not much really.

As VyseRogueKing said though, if I've been playing a game a lot or watching a TV show a lot, that'll start to pop up into my dreams, and when I wake up I end up feeling like I need a break. Already happening with Skyrim. Will definitely happen if I'm marathoning a TV show on dvd.

Beyond that, I have those occasional anxiety dreams, though I've never had a dream where I was falling or being chased. They're usually school-based. A test I didn't study for, a term paper I forgot to do, I forgot where my next class was or I forgot my locker combination.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
The teeth thing for sure, really creeps me out. It seems like i'm always in a maze or lost somewhere trying to find something or someone. I've had a couple of dreams where i have killed someone, talk about messing with your head when you wake up from something like that. I should probly see a shrink about some of this stuff.....

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
my dreams are quite militaristic. not sure why, i have no interest in the armed forces, and i haven't in the past.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The settings are always similar. There's a mall, school, neighborhood, tree house and, downtown area that I almost always visit in my dreams. In my dreams I'm also still a student for some reason but I can never find which class I'm supposed to be in and if I am in the right class I never have the work with me or, any relevant notes or papers. Sometimes, while looking for the right class, I notice a ton of children running around so but there are also people my own age around too.

When I'm at the mall there is an arcade, a Hot-Topic/Suncoast/Spencers hybrid store and, a Play-n-Trade style store that I always frequent. The mall is made up of three floors, a basement and, an administrative level on the topmost floor which is separate from the stores and whatnot.

There are neighborhoods in my dreams where some people own dogs. The dogs HATE ME and a recurring theme is me being attacked by them. Luckily, I am able to subdue them by sitting on their necks and jumping. I am also able to swing, via tire-less ropes hanging from trees, from tree-to-tree.

The two most popular themes that come up a lot in my dreams are a lack of gravity (which manifests in me being able to jump and, fall dozens of feet into the air) and, nudity. I'm naked in many of my dreams but do become clothed at random intervals and without me consciously putting on the clothes.

This isn't as common as it used to be but from time to time I'll have a very detailed, highly realistic dream about the world being destroyed and coming to an end. One such dream was pretty mundane, where my family (father included) and I were in a penthouse in a big city (likely New York). Bombs began to fall, flame engulfed the streets below and neighboring buildings crumbled. Dad said something about hoping the guy would still be able to deliver a pizza. Other end of the world dreams are more abstract, like one in which I was floating through the void close enough to see Earth in great detail. As I floated around the planet though, my perception of the planet because inverted. The planet looked like it had turned to gold with bits of red. It was completely hollow and freaked me right the fuck out.

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
Yeah, I'm a recurring teeth-falling-out dreamer too, I've also heard that it's to do with poor self-image. It gets me every time though, the second I wake up I'm quickly running my tongue over my teeth to make sure they're still there!

In my dreams I often move between scenes quite impossibly, for example I'll be in the living room of my dad's house in Canada, then I'll walk down the corridor and end up in the bathroom of an old flat of mine in London.

I can run in dreams, but usually much more slowly then I am capable of.

I recently have been having home-invasion dreams, one involving the theft of all my stuff, which was so vivid that the "me" in the dream was thinking "Oh my God this is so bad it seems like a dream, but it's actually real! Who do I phone first, the police? My credit card company?". Then one was so bad that when I woke up I jumped out of bed and grabbed my home defense melee weapon because I was convinced there was someone downstairs.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Kuchinawa212 said:
Death, Damnnation, pain, suffering, loss, abandonment.

I try not to dream much anymore.
Know the feeling... kinda glad I haven't been dreaming recently...

OT: Crying, dying, getting shot and a whispered 'help me...'

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Magicmad5511 said:
2. Masturbating in places I shouldn't such as classrooms during lessons.
Oh, God, this! This happens to me too for some odd, unexplainable reason.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Realizing I have a more creative and complex imagination then I let on.

I don't remember dreams anymore, when I was little whenever I had them they were mostly the nightmares that I remembered. My biggest reoccurring ones were running away and not being fast enough, then being dragged away by something I never look at.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Being able to fly is a recurring team for over 2 years now. It's amazing and I've basically grown control over flight in the process. I really WANTED to fly in my dreams in real life, thus actually changing the dreams over time. I ended up way OP, where I could "defeat" my nightmares by flying.

Another, pretty amazing recurring theme which has led to very realistic-looking and tense dreams are nuclear weapons. I once dreamed that I was locked in a container-room, guarded by four men (two outside the door, two inside the room). Then I was loaded onto a truck (room and all). Eventually, I drove past a dam-like shoreline (quite high, concrete-ish with a road on top. Water to the right, mountains to the left). Then I saw a nuclear bomb go off in the distance. Knowing that the mountains wouldn't protect me and a massive shockwave was on its way to toast me, I struggled to get out. I quickly took a dive into the lake, diving from at least 40 feet into the water, getting as deep as I possibly can before the shockwave hit. I felt it trembing and it was really warm, but I survived.

A lot more, but this is by far the most important two recurring themes.

Dranae

Apr 19, 2011
Running, for some reason, in what seems like almost every dream I have.

And the flying dreams I have are the most pathetic examples of flying in the world. In those dreams I'm lucky if I can even make it five feet off the ground.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Don't know why but a few times a year I'll wake up screaming. Also one thing that has happened in more than one dreams is my left leg will spring up and I will have to put considerable pressure on it if I want to keep it on the ground.

Supah

Oct 22, 2011
A lot of my nightmares end in me dying or death in some way or another. I remember one dream I had where I was hiding in my house from something and there was a pile of corpses out in my backyard... Also I got eaten alive once. The other portion of my nightmares feature me trying to escape from something, which I almost never see. Often I'm being chased by a killer, usually not of the human sort.

As for my dreams, a lot of them center around me meeting someone; in the morning I can't help but feel poignant, like I knew them before or something.

Darkness seems to factor into my dreams a lot too. They always turn bad when the lights start dimming or going out, and better if they are brighter.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
i always keep returning to high school.. that was like 8 years ago i finished high school but yet some school related theme keeps coming back to my dreams... its really annoying because its not like i had any unfinished business there