Red Orchestra Dev: CoD Has Ruined A Generation Of Gamers

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Treblaine said:
DSK- said:
He's right. COD multiplayer is basically a fisherprice my first FPS game. When I played Modern Warfare 2 a great deal, the community were bitching over how 'overpowered' the air killstreaks were - yet you could select a series of perks that would completely nullify all of them with the exception of bombing runs and the initial harrier airstrike. I found it most amusing that they lambasted the game instead of looking into the mechanics of the game they were playing and work the problem.
But everyone... EVERYONE, went for Stopping power.

Because they didn't trust their own damn aim, even though stock weapons fired really REALLY fast (15 rounds per second) with a 4 hit kill, 4 hits with a hitscan-minigun wasn't easy enough. It had to be 3 shot kill, 2 hit kill if either of the rounds hits the head.

And of course with Stopping power removed in the next game, everyone used the very perk you described that makes immune from both kill-streaks and makes you hard to see on account of player models usually wearing camouflage... this makes the nametags a practical necessity.

This is the problem, COD wants it both ways. It want the superficiality of real war, but even that runs things as simple camouflage is so effective that is favours the camper incredibly. This is why wars sucks, war is getting killed by someone you never even saw nor had a chance to react to. The nametag that has no real community purpose, there is no way people stop to read the name of the person they are shooting, it's just a big giant red bullseye.

Most shooters before this if they didn't want "The suck" of war, didn't try to copy real war, they make their shooters sci-fi/fantasy based like Quake, Unreal or TF2.

But COD gives the pretence of being a serious hardcore game. It sure seems hardcore with the super-serial voice acting, dramatic 24-style music score, and all the military surplus you could shake a stick at.

Yet youtube commentators will complain bitterly that the enemy uses a perk where they are not displayed on a minimap nor highlighted with a bullseye... it's considered unfair. Well, that's war. That's what all these fancy Tactical gear is about, in the end some insurgent can squat in a corner and blast you as you walk by. If you don't like that, then you shouldn't like all this tactical modern-war crap.

Does that make you a pacifist? No. That makes you a realist to know war is hideously unfair.
Glad to see someone else on the same wavelength :)

The thing that made me laugh in MW2 was that I had a single setup solely for Wasteland; Sleight of Hand, Ghost Pro and Ninja Pro. I'd use a silenced M21 and would "camp" in high-density fauna areas and use the camouflage I had to my advantage. I'd move on if we captured a control point/a point needed defending or I wanted to relocate. I'd use team-based killstreaks so I wouldn't be whoring. Once I mastered it, it was a lot of fun.

As for the rest of my setups, almost all of them had silenced weapons. In COD the radar minimap is a valuable resource; so if you just do whatever you can to negate the opponents' dependence on it (ie don't show up on it) then you're ahead of the game. It does work the other way around of course, but clever use of the radar minimap and sounding (or "sound whoring" as people like to call it these days - which apparently is cheap rofl) allows you to easily see through it.

In regards to youtube COD commentators; I have to say I've seen a few COD commentaries in my time, mostly console players, and honestly I've never been overly impressed in regards to their frag skill. I'm not saying they aren't good - in fact I'd simply say it's down to the platform and control scheme (analogue sticks are pretty terrible for precise movement).
In many one on one situations console COD players will fire full auto in an arc and hope to hit and kill the opponent.

I will admit that COD is hellafun to play with in a party online, but I do feel it has streamlined FPS games a bit too much. But like I said, it's basically a game fit for the control scheme of the console masses so I can't really fault them for that.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
I know it wasn't on purpose, but you just picked the most bullshit comparison video for CoD that you possibly could have picked. You chose the Search and Destroy gametype, the game that has only one life each round, leading it to be a very campy gametype.

Let's put it this way. The games aren't comparable to each other. At all. They're both from extremely different generations of gaming, that cater to many different types of gamers. Not to say someone can't enjoy both.
~~~
You made a PC only title, yet somehow you're finding that you have problems with CoD players. That right there tells me that you are doing something wrong.
I was just proving him wrong about Cawadooty being fast paced/actiony/like Quake and Doom.

Also about that last one, the latest installment of Cod always hits the top of Steam and stays there for a while after release. It just has competition from other sources.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
JoesshittyOs said:
Treblaine said:
Yeah... COD is not about "flinch" as in needing to have good aim, it's not about skill, it's about random encounters, whoever sees the other first, with all likelihood gets the kill. It's slot machine taking turns killing each other, you only have the illusion of control offer your destiny, like maybe if you pull on the One-armed-bandit just right you can get the result you want. You can camp, you can rush, but really it hardly matters what weapon or perks you have, it's ultimately just a huge hide and seek contest.
Exactly. Which is why the good players would tell you it's about map control. The person who's going to win the fights is generally whoever sees who first, so the smarter players take advantage of that. They position themselves in the right place.
That should be a part of the gameplay... not ALL that matters.

It's just too easy to camp and head-glitch, it saps any kind of momentum.

Quake and TF2, they are even more about map control but that alone isn't enough. You can't simply spray over them with full auto fire. There is a challenge to getting kills and you can have countermeasures even when the enemy sees you first.

People can play COD drunk, high
No you can't. I've tried both. It's quite simply to fast-paced. No drug addled mind is able to keep up with it. You're less likely to care that you can't keep up with it, but still. It's too fast paced.
My point is reaction times and player's aiming ability don't matter so much, if someone comes around a corner and their crosshairs aren't almost exactly on top then you don't need amazing concentration skill or reaction times to kill them before even the best player can respond.

The maps are hardly exquisitely designed, it's way to easy to know a few positions and lock a game down into a shooting gallery.

And that's literally all this is. What's even more pathetic about this is that this guy is a talking about how hard it is to cater to the CoD crowd on a PC only title. CoD is not that big on the PC. It's not "small" by any means, but the average PC CoD player is probably going to also have another PC title under their belt, Such as TF2 or Trbes, or something along those lines. So yeah, that's exactly what this guy is doing. He just simply doesn't even know who his target audience is.
PC gamers aren't some separate breed... stop talking about us like it's males vs female as if any transition is highly unusual and requires surgery in Brazil.

We are all gamers, and a huge proportion of gamers are unreasonably hooked on COD and on consoles and won't consider anything else.

There is this huge problem with a generation engineered to play multiplayer without any kind of deep strategy... they fall for BS distinctions between the weapons that are near identical.

Where do you go from there? People get their "kills" without trying.
I think the problem is less with people who like Call of Duty, and more with your typical mindset of "CoD players are what's wrong with everything", sort of what this Developer is trying to say.

I was/am a CoD player, yet I've gone onto vastly different types of games. So have many of my video game playing friends. It's just a stupid argument, not much more you can really say.
I of course don't blame the players, they are the victims.

I blame the developers. The publishers. They unleashed this BS and pushed it.

I have nothing but sympathy for people who hold COD multiplayer in such high regard to the point of excluding anything else, I look on them like gambling addicts. Of course they could help if they opened up their minds a bit but I'm asking more than most can do. I do get frustrated with them but I don't see them as the problem.

You are by far the exception. The established rule is those spoiled with the COD slot-machine formula always stick around.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
I think its this:

CS player played on a a friend's account and recorded his result:

He challenged COD player to do what they do in COD in Counter Strike and pot the results.
Oh yeah, I checked out that one after I read your post.

I'm not an expert, but I've never seem someone do so well without using the ironsights in COD before.
Had he started running Kill Streaks, There would be little that the other team could do to stop him.

That being said, I don't know if I'd call his gameplay "Owning the entire server", but I think that's just lack of Kill Streaks he was actually using talking.
Was kinda hoping for less trash talk of the COD Scene though, don't get me wrong, I'm more of a FGC guy then a COD guy, but he was clearly trying to start a flame war.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
And how is that any different to how ten years ago every game had to be like Counterstrike? The shoe is now merely on the other foot.

Red Orchestra is an interesting concept, but if you deliberately craft a game with a steep learning curve you only get so much sympathy when no one wants to dedicate 20 hours a week to become competent enough to enjoy themselves. To me it seems like whining that you can no longer sell film cameras because most people don't want to have to wait a week to see how their photos turned out.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Well the war was already started when his tutorial on competitive gaming got trolls from COD saying "COD has way more skill than this."

So he came out to prove them wrong.
Welp, either way, that's some pretty good gameplay if this really was his first or second time.
Also checked out some of his CS stuff, I thought I was watching an aimbot at times!

These CS guys are no joke!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
DSK- said:

The thing that made me laugh in MW2 was that I had a single setup solely for Wasteland; Sleight of Hand, Ghost Pro and Ninja Pro. I'd use a silenced M21 and would "camp" in high-density fauna areas and use the camouflage I had to my advantage. I'd move on if we captured a control point/a point needed defending or I wanted to relocate. I'd use team-based killstreaks so I wouldn't be whoring. Once I mastered it, it was a lot of fun.

As for the rest of my setups, almost all of them had silenced weapons. In COD the radar minimap is a valuable resource; so if you just do whatever you can to negate the opponents' dependence on it (ie don't show up on it) then you're ahead of the game. It does work the other way around of course, but clever use of the radar minimap and sounding (or "sound whoring" as people like to call it these days - which apparently is cheap rofl) allows you to easily see through it.

In regards to youtube COD commentators; I have to say I've seen a few COD commentaries in my time, mostly console players, and honestly I've never been overly impressed in regards to their frag skill. I'm not saying they aren't good - in fact I'd simply say it's down to the platform and control scheme (analogue sticks are pretty terrible for precise movement).
In many one on one situations console COD players will fire full auto in an arc and hope to hit and kill the opponent.

I will admit that COD is hellafun to play with in a party online, but I do feel it has streamlined FPS games a bit too much. But like I said, it's basically a game fit for the control scheme of the console masses so I can't really fault them for that.
When it got to that point I wondered

"Why am I even playing a game with a mini-map, bullseye nametags and silenced weapons?"

I realise how good such a setup is and I feel bad that others aren't using it. And I don't want to play the game any more.

Sound-whoring actually takes some skill, you need to really hone your ability to pick out audio cues and apply them to the environment. It's about trusting your instincts on what you half heard. Rather than just:

"HEY RETARD! THE ENEMY IS RIGHT FRIGGING HERE ON THE MAP! GO KILL EM!"

The problem is the Radar and nametags are a crutch in COD, trying to make modern warfare - which is inherently unfair and not fun - into a fun game. Probably to play into the bullshit myths we have about warfare today. The reality is war today is not a mano-e-mano showdown. It's each side taking turn to kill each other unexpectedly, which doesn't make for a good first person shooter. Taking turns to shoot each other like fish in a barrel. Very little is down to the individual. With integrated urban warfare the fighter loses individuality and are totally dependant on their commander's decisions and directions.

The concept of Warfare in the Modern era, I think is way WAY more suited to a tactical control simulator. Like where you have to plan a raid on Usama Bin Laden's compound, or a snatch and grab. You have to plan it, you have mockups and you have to coordinate the assault. The guys on the ground are like autonomatons, they are highly trained at moving and shooting with minimum delay but they depend on the voice in their ear to coordinate what is going on. It's dealing with things like friendly fire, warning each unit not to fire at subjects emerging at point X as they are friendly.

I've been modding games to make em better and my conclusion is that trying to realistically have modern weapons in games will inherently unbalance games as these weapons were DESIGNED to unbalance war! Back when weapons were crap, single-action revolvers and lever action rifles, you really had to work for kills, it was a real match of skill, you could fight your way out from someone who got the drop on you.

COD on consoles I never found you really needed the accuracy of a mouse, not because console is good but because COD is so bad with it's training wheels. Such strong aim assist when aiming down sights, and the weapons are so deadly you don't have to hold the aim on target you can sweep it over them like a brush. Again, the typical DPS to player health ratio is so high with continuous-fire hitscan weapons that it's simply about seeing the other guy first. The time to kill is milliseconds, it's so quick and the lag compensation can be so bad that they are dead before they can possibly react to the first hit.

I will admit that COD is hellafun to play with in a party online
Most things are fun to do with your friends. I'm quite sure I might enjoy Wii Sports Resort playing it with my mates.

And arguably you can have way more fun in a more team focused game like TF2, it certainly makes it easier to fight together rather than simply spawn randomly all over the map and have little interaction at all, you might as well jsut be having a sky phonecall.

Scrubiii

Apr 19, 2011
I feel like this argument is comparable to a dev of one of those hyper-realistic flight sims where you have to know what every single button in the cockpit does, calling out Hawx for making flight games too casual. The games appeal to a completely different audience. Does he really think that the vast majority of CoD players would play games like red orchestra if CoD didn't exist? Because if he does, he is wrong. The vast majority of CoD players are casuals who play CoD because it's easy to get into, fun to play and doesn't take any real time investment. You can sit down for 15 minutes, play a couple of games and then go again. If they weren't playing CoD, they would be playing Fifa or something similar, not Red Orchestra.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Treblaine said:
DSK- said:

When it got to that point I wondered

"Why am I even playing a game with a mini-map, bullseye nametags and silenced weapons?"

I realise how good such a setup is and I feel bad that others aren't using it. And I don't want to play the game any more.

Sound-whoring actually takes some skill, you need to really hone your ability to pick out audio cues and apply them to the environment. It's about trusting your instincts on what you half heard. Rather than just:

"HEY RETARD! THE ENEMY IS RIGHT FRIGGING HERE ON THE MAP! GO KILL EM!"

The problem is the Radar and nametags are a crutch in COD, trying to make modern warfare - which is inherently unfair and not fun - into a fun game. Probably to play into the bullshit myths we have about warfare today. The reality is war today is not a mano-e-mano showdown. It's each side taking turn to kill each other unexpectedly, which doesn't make for a good first person shooter. Taking turns to shoot each other like fish in a barrel. Very little is down to the individual. With integrated urban warfare the fighter loses individuality and are totally dependant on their commander's decisions and directions.

The concept of Warfare in the Modern era, I think is way WAY more suited to a tactical control simulator. Like where you have to plan a raid on Usama Bin Laden's compound, or a snatch and grab. You have to plan it, you have mockups and you have to coordinate the assault. The guys on the ground are like autonomatons, they are highly trained at moving and shooting with minimum delay but they depend on the voice in their ear to coordinate what is going on. It's dealing with things like friendly fire, warning each unit not to fire at subjects emerging at point X as they are friendly.

I've been modding games to make em better and my conclusion is that trying to realistically have modern weapons in games will inherently unbalance games as these weapons were DESIGNED to unbalance war! Back when weapons were crap, single-action revolvers and lever action rifles, you really had to work for kills, it was a real match of skill, you could fight your way out from someone who got the drop on you.

COD on consoles I never found you really needed the accuracy of a mouse, not because console is good but because COD is so bad with it's training wheels. Such strong aim assist when aiming down sights, and the weapons are so deadly you don't have to hold the aim on target you can sweep it over them like a brush. Again, the typical DPS to player health ratio is so high with continuous-fire hitscan weapons that it's simply about seeing the other guy first. The time to kill is milliseconds, it's so quick and the lag compensation can be so bad that they are dead before they can possibly react to the first hit.

I will admit that COD is hellafun to play with in a party online
Most things are fun to do with your friends. I'm quite sure I might enjoy Wii Sports Resort playing it with my mates.

And arguably you can have way more fun in a more team focused game like TF2, it certainly makes it easier to fight together rather than simply spawn randomly all over the map and have little interaction at all, you might as well jsut be having a sky phonecall.
I want to have your babies, Sir :D

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
I love RO and it's what got me to enjoy WWIIO.

It takes patience, but also teamwork or else it becomes a skirmish and I think that's what people hate the most.

I think the funny thing about RO and other FPS' is that when you're praised for your high kill count in RO, it actually is a compliment and means something where most others, especially those of the CoD vein, have no worth tied to kills.

Red Orchestra is an interesting concept, but if you deliberately craft a game with a steep learning curve you only get so much sympathy when no one wants to dedicate 20 hours a week to become competent enough to enjoy themselves.
You don't need that many hours a week to be good at it, you just have to be patient. I haven't played it in ages and had little little experience with the first title before I began playing with friends.

The amusing thing was that while I did well, I never felt like it, because of my reaction to firing which I felt froze me too much mentally.

Maybe I'm just in an easy position because I don't care about kills/deaths and love to be support. In RO I love to be there plinking off riflemen as guys rush in to points and the same held in WWIIO where helping capture positions, defend them and suppress the enemy to allow my team to move in close more than made up for the huge time sink that often goes into actually getting to a battle much less taking part in one.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
beastro said:
Red Orchestra is an interesting concept, but if you deliberately craft a game with a steep learning curve you only get so much sympathy when no one wants to dedicate 20 hours a week to become competent enough to enjoy themselves.
You don't need that many hours a week to be good at it, you just have to be patient. I haven't played it in ages and had little little experience with the first title before I began playing with friends.

The amusing thing was that while I did well, I never felt like it, because of my reaction to firing which I felt froze me too much mentally.

Maybe I'm just in an easy position because I don't care about kills/deaths and love to be support. In RO I love to be there plinking off riflemen as guys rush in to points and the same held in WWIIO where helping capture positions, defend them and suppress the enemy to allow my team to move in close more than made up for the huge time sink that often goes into actually getting to a battle much less taking part in one.
I agree, but then playing with friends is always more fun no matter your skill level. If you can't get friends together to play a game, you're stuck with a bunch of 'lone wolf' types who will make all the support you give redundant because they only care about their K/D ratio. In that kind of environment, the only joy most people will get out of the game is creeping up the leaderboards: hence the need to invest some time to get really good at it.

The best FPS games I've ever played were team-based games where I could play with my friends. Playing those same games on random servers was an utterly joyless experience.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
Treblaine said:
I'm not going to take the time to respond to each element of your response in turn, that would be far to time consuming.

Suffice to say, elements of it are so pretentious I quite literally burst out laughing. Part of it is on me though because after rereading my post, I realize that my post didn't really bring my overall point across. This guy tried to make a game mode that would directly appeal to CoD's demographic, when he failed to make it appealing enough to them, he blamed CoD. The reason I criticize him is because he was obviously trying to appeal to casual gamers with a game built for hardcore gamers. Naturally there are people who like his game (I actually quite enjoy killing floor) but if you want to broaden your audience you have to make concessions for people who won't make concessions for you. It's worth remembering that CoD has a large amount of players who only play CoD, much like Madden or FIFA. Trying to appeal to them will be difficult, because CoD is their only frame of reference. The funniest thing is that when people do try, CoD players don't even look at it. Everyone who doesn't like CoD anyway are the only one's who care, and they only get pissed. It's quite amusing.

Concerning camping and other specific things you mentioned, camping was more of a problem in CS than in CoD from my expirience. When you can't respawn camping becomes order of the day. I hear this is also a problem in RO but I haven't played it so I'm not in a place to pass judgement. Saying that it plateaus quickly is also a lie, I can say that from experience. I started in CoD4, my K/D and W/L have risen through each installment as well as over time within the same game. Many people who dismiss CoD aren't willing to put the time into it to see what it has to offer. The difference is: in CoD you can get lucky and have a good match when you're new. In say CS: Source, you get shat upon nonstop by people who have been playing for so long that you could never really hope to compete with them. People really need to watch the Extra Credits about multiplayer balance, it illustrates my point perfectly. On a side note, the Quake gameplay above really doesn't seem to contain much in the way of skill. It's a montage of OHKs and bunny hopping. I fail to see the skill inherant in that.

That's the problem, if you walk into someone's firing line before them there is virtually no counter.
This is what made me laugh. Let me rephrase this for you. "I walked into someone's stream of bullets, so I died." I have no idea what to say. This left me speechless.

There are training ground.
Also I'm no grammar Nazi but you may want to check yourself before you claim to have superior taste.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if you want to learn the actual differences between the weapons in CoD I recommend XboxAhoy's weapon guides. His voice is also verbal chocolate, so there's that.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Shamanic Rhythm said:
The best FPS games I've ever played were team-based games where I could play with my friends. Playing those same games on random servers was an utterly joyless experience.
I'd agree with you if not for the fact that I enjoy such games, especially WWIIO, solo.

I guess it's the perk of being a support personality. I certainly know that if I was more the kind of person that would be storming and clearing buildings and capturing points it wouldn't nearly be as fun.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
teebeeohh said:
my point was that just because you shoot guns in the first person perspective the game is not a shooter.
That's subjective. because you can definitely play it as a shooter.

teebeeohh said:
The weapon handling in fallout is also dependent on not just your ability to click at the right spot on the enemy but also on your characters ability to shoot. Reflexes are really not that important in fallout since the AI usually walk straight towards you and if they don't you can stop time in order to spot them. having the better gun and perks is much more important than being able to shoot better.
Yes, but not everyone considers shooters to be purely reflexive.

teebeeohh said:
I also find the fact that you use the word "mission" in fallout weird since it doesn't really fit, a mission is when you are a soldier and your CO gives you order, when you are just wandering around and people dump all their problem onto you to solve it's called a quest because you clearly are the protagonist in an RPG.
Now you're just being pedantic.

Meriam-Webster:
mission: 4a : a specific task with which a person or a group is charged
Yes, "mission" or "objective" is used much more in reference to FPS games, but usage of it to refer to "quests" or "tasks" is not wrong, because it does fit.

teebeeohh said:
also yes, every change from the old fallout to the new can be traced directly to the change of perspective.
I disagree, real-time vs turn-based is a huge difference in how you approach games.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I'd say TF2 has done more to ruin FPS games on PC than CoD has. Simply because of the matter that if you now put out a team based shooter on Steam, or even on PC in general, people will turn around and go "But yes, how does it compare to TF2?", and since a few years you can add on to that "TF2, a completely free game". So it's become incredibly hard to sell team based multiplayer shooters on Steam because, well, there's this behemoth of quality that is TF2, which is now free for everyone. One example is Gotham City Impostors, which was a pretty fun casual shooter once it got past its launch issues, but it didn't do well for long simply because, well, it wasn't TF2. And the devs had the gall to ask money for it when TF2's free. Eventually it did go F2P but a lack of frequent updates meant the boost in population was short lived indeed.

Which also contributes to the fact that TF2 remains the second most played game on Steam more than five years after its release, Valve just keeps adding stuff to it. Which means it remains a stiff competitor if you're wanting to put out a game that is about two teams shooting each other that doesn't offer vastly different, like asymmetrical gameplay like Natural Selection II and Primal Carnage, which is Humans vs. Aliens and Humans vs. Dinosaurs respectively.

So basically, if you want to put out a shooter on PCs and you're not CoD, Battlefield or TF2, you'd best have something amazing and/or unique up your sleeve if you want to last.

That said, I thought RO2 did pretty well in its niche, I certainly have no problem finding a server on the rare occasion I decide to boot it up again. Sure it's nowhere near as big as TF2 or CoD are, but it's doing alright.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I fail to see the issue.

Red Orchestra 2 is, to be completely honest, just as generic as the next FPS. It's just a CoD clone with no regenerating health, simulated ballistics and a bullshit "suppression" meter that makes your screen go gray if too many bullets whizz by you. The only thing that makes Red Orchestra 2 stand out is the fact that it takes place in the Russian-German theater instead of the usual Normandy Landings or Africa operations, and piloting a tank requires like 4 players working in tandem.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
Treblaine said:
Lucky Godzilla said:
So what you are saying is the only way a competitive FPS can be good is if it is a hardcore skill based shooter. Did you ever pause to think the reason why CoD got so mainstream was because that's precisely what it is not? What Call of Duty has done an amazing job with is creating a game where both the hardcore and casual can find enjoyment. THe game offers enough depth in the unlock and metagame as well as shockingly, reward players for learning the basics of the game, as well as the layout of the map. But at the same time your random joe can pop the disc in, play a quick game of tdm, get a killstreak or two and call it a day.
You know what I said.

Yes, I know that's why COD became a success, but that doesn't make it a good thing. Slot machines making loads of money doesn't mean slot machines make for better games than chess.

I am saying if you had any idea what the alternatives were and were open to trying them you wouldn't tolerate COD. It is terrible, but what have you got to compare it to?
Well, considering that you have started out your argument by making a massive assumption about my gaming preferences, I can already tell this is going to be a absolutely wonderful discussion.
ugh

Besides, good and bad are fundamentally flawed. You treat your own OPINION as if it is the definitive unshakable measure of value that all of us should judge games on. Shockingly opinions differ, what you despise someone else will adore.

Besides, I find your comparison of a game of chance and a game of strategy slightly absurd. Both slot machines and chess succeed in what they set out to be. They know what they are, and drawing a comparison between the two is a tad absurd considering they appeal to entirely different kinds of people.

where both the hardcore and casual can find enjoyment.

By what definition of "hardcore"?!?!

Competitive gamers are utterly derisive of COD. Hardcore for COD is not hardcore in any kind of broader terms.

And "What Call of Duty has done an amazing job of" is deluding casual that they are hardcore because they can game the system slightly in their favour by cheap and cowardly attitude in games, or just getting a string of luck scanning in the direction they pop out from. It's not about skill, it's about exploiting the inherent unfairness.
I wasn't aware that all hardcore gamers play competitively. True all competitive players are hardcore gamers, but not all hardcore gamers are competitive. Besides considering the rather healthy competitive circuit that has formed around the cod games, I'd say not all competitive players are derisive of it.

O.K now let's look at how you define "the inherent unfairness" that is truly unique to cod, and how.
- "whoever sees the other first, with all likelihood gets the kill."
Oh so whoever sees the other first will with all likelihood gets the kill, as is the case with roughly 90% of FPSgames.
You must be joking.

And that's about it really, so according to you and fast TTK game is inherently bad because people can get the drop on one another.

The game offers enough depth in the unlock

Depth? Meaningless depth. The unlock weapons that are almost totally indistinct. From sub machine-guns to machine pistol to assault rifles to light machine guns, they are all high damage, high rate of fire weapons. It's just several dozen reskins of a Quake Lightning-Gun with quad-damage.

Very few weapons break the mould significantly without being nerfed with the clear intention of saying they shouldn't be used other than generic full auto weapon.

The perks are nerfed and have to be because they can be used in so many unbalancing combinations. The "Create a class" system is inherently flawed by how it allows so many positives without negatives. Games serious about balancing have set classes. It's all good on the surface but any hardcore gamer very quickly sees the flaws. The perks don't change gameplay much.

And that's the problem, YOU the player, your skill, that is not progressing. Your weapons and accessories and perks are upgraded in almost entirely superficial or trivial way. It can't escape from how the weapons all fire so fast and are so powerful they are almost identical.

The depth should be in the gameplay, using the weapons and items in more and more advanced ways with new weapons being used in different ways, often to enhance your area of expertise.
Christ where do I begin with this one?

O.K the fact that you lumped CoD LMG's and SMG's into the exact same pool is more telling than anything. Here's a challenge, go try rusing with an LMG. Now try rushing with an LMG. Now go lock down a sightline with an LMG, now go lock down a sight-line with an SMG. They lack of depth you observe is because you have absolutely refused to apply the weapons given to you in their intended role,and treated them all as the same gun. Your claim that all the weapons are reskins of one another is frankly absurd and more indicative of your ignorance on the matter than your knowledge.

Now perks, you ***** that perks are positive, with absolutely no negatives that inherently unbalance them. Almost as if they are a perk are something.

Snark aside, you failed to once again grasp the core philosophy behind balance. What balances the perks is not inherent negatives, but other perks. Ghost, blind eye, cold blooded, juggernaut, tac mask, flack jacket, hard wired, and engineer. THESE are what balance perks in entirely negating the benefits awarded by select attachments and perks that do buff your proficiency. You the player must make the choice between added benefits or added protection. The negatives you claim are lacking have been built within the system since the start, but once again, YOU failed to see them blaming YOUR own ignorance as a fault of the game.

reward players for learning the basics of the game, as well as the layout of the map.

You think COD is the only game that does this? For such a slow and simple game it's not that is has a shallow learning curve, it plateaus almost instantly. It's just about edging out and spraying on people. It's too random, look left and they are on the right, you're dead.
I'd like to ask that same exact question of you. Are you really so naive to believe that CoD is the only game that does this? Or that the reason you were sprayed down may have been because the opposing player was more aware of the most congested lanes on the map, and used this knowledge to position himself in the best position to reap kills off those too stupid to try another route.

play a quick game of tdm, get a killstreak or two and call it a day.

This is part of the problem, this is the worst kind of reward to give in the game, it's kind of the dumb thing to ask for but that you shouldn't really take, like eating the ice-cream dessert before the main course.

Killstreaks reward the player with kills that don't play into the inherent gameplay of one-on-one combat.

It's a pavlov association trick. They get a number every time they get a kill, then you can just give them a number and they don't even see the kill and they get the appreciation. Either it's automatic where they don't see it or they are hugely detatched firing from some orbiting aircraft at Red-squares.

The original reward for killstreaks was announcer accolades. The likes of Unreal you couldn't just get a lot of kills, you had to get them in rapid succession. And you got your name revered on the whole server.

Now what's on balance better? Screwing up other's day with having them killed by super-bots, or awarding them with badass accolades?

I mean why are you stopping to use an ipad in a first person shooter?!?!

COD is casual... it's so casual. You can't care about the game it's just about getting random kills and to hell with balance. Hardcore games don't have things like killstreak that fly in a chopper gunner for getting a few kills in a row.
Geez, I've sen my fair share of pretentious pricks in my day, but you're on a whole other level.

Don't like killstreaks? So put on blind eye or cold blooded. Whip out your stinger, you'll have the damn streak in flames in a matter of seconds. There's your goddamn balance, you are entirely immune to A.I killstreaks, you are invisible to manned gunners, and you can kill it with minimum effort. If you allow killstreaks to plough your team into the ground, that's not a failure of the game. CoD gives you ample effective tools to effectively and quickly counter killstreaks. It is YOUR fault for not using the tools given to you.

You know nothing of what you are talking about it, yet expect everyone to mindlessly parrot your ignorant statements because you are obviously right. I mean can you get any more pretentious!?

I wasted far too much of my time arguing with you.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Lucky Godzilla said:
Geez, I've sen my fair share of pretentious pricks in my day, but you're on a whole other level.

Don't like killstreaks? So put on blind eye or cold blooded. Whip out your stinger, you'll have the damn streak in flames in a matter of seconds. There's your goddamn balance, you are entirely immune to A.I killstreaks, you are invisible to manned gunners, and you can kill it with minimum effort. If you allow killstreaks to plough your team into the ground, that's not a failure of the game. CoD gives you ample effective tools to effectively and quickly counter killstreaks. It is YOUR fault for not using the tools given to you.

You know nothing of what you are talking about it, yet expect everyone to mindlessly parrot your ignorant statements because you are obviously right. I mean can you get any more pretentious!?

I wasted far too much of my time arguing with you.
There isn't much of a point to argue with him. He went through an entire thread once trying to argue that anyone who chooses consoles over PC are dumb and couldn't even comprehend why someone would play consoles. It was quite pretentious.