Reggie: Nintendo Doesn't Enjoy Making Mature Games

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Jarrid said:
Jeronus said:
Nintendo doesn't need to make ultra gore and sex games to survive in a market that practically demands it. That what makes the big N the greatest gaming company ever.
Telling potential customers where to stick it is a marketing strategy? I'd hate to see your ideas on humanitarian projects...
I was actually alluding to Nintendo's ability to give us something new instead of the watered down clones of other games. Gaming would utterly fail to change at all if Nintendo followed its competitor's example which is to improve the hardware and slap a slightly higher number on it. Don't get me wrong it is good to appease the fans but taking a chance and giving us something we didn't even ask for in the first place that takes balls.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
My point has been made; there is no way to properly define a "hardcore" game because everyone's perceptions thereof are completely different.
Oh, not this shit argument again. There's no way to define this and there's no way to define that. Pish. Hardcore games are games that require your focus and dedication to progress in. You're argument states that some people can play a game without much dedication that another person will really struggle with so to call one game hardcore or casual is futile. The argument ignores that it relies on a solid definition of hardcore to work. It presupposes a definition of hardcore in this case that being one that requires dedication on the part of the player. So what that we can't say 100% of all people who play a game will struggle with it? Do you really think there is no use is labeling a game "hardcore" if only 99.9% of all people who play it have a hard time with it?

Flying-Emu said:
You want to know what I think a hardcore game is? Contra. Battletoads. Civilization III. Starcraft. Any game that's impossibly difficult, yet incredibly fun.
One, I've never played it but I doubt that a Civilization game goes all that far in the way of being mature. Two, why such a strict definition of hardcore? Three, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason why an impossibly difficult yet incredibly fun game has to be mature. You seem to agree with me:

Flying-Emu said:
Dark Angel Warlord said:
they want to destroy blow up stuff they want hard core games
not everyone wants to play pokemon forever
That's why it sold almost 3.5 million copies. IGN [http://wii.ign.com/articles/105/1056578p1.html]

Hardcore is not "Blow stuff up." Hardcore is challenge, not gore.
Is this even what we're still arguing about? If we've moved the debate on to something else that's probably something you should tell me.

Flying-Emu said:
Kirby, Mario, and Zelda are all great games; they are not, however, hardcore. In any sense of the word.
Again, why such a strict definition of hardcore? Come to think of it, why are you telling me I can't consider these games hardcore? It rather defeats your argument don't you think?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I don't think this is worthy of Nintedo worship or ire

just saying...

who cares what kinda games they make? as long as the games are good
that is also, as long as the games CONTROL good...meh

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
WayOutThere said:
Is this even what we're still arguing about? If we've moved the debate on to something else that's probably something you should tell me.
No, we're not talking mature, we're talking the definition of hardcore. You're the one who started into this bullshit about maturity. I couldn't give two shits about the "maturity" of video games.

"Nintendo simply doesn't do mature"

Then how about hardcore? I'd settle with that quite nicely.
Is what started it. So I'll get it back on track.

I gave you my definition of what a hardcore game is. Perhaps I was unclear. There may BE a definition of "hardcore" game, but I have yet to see one that is WIDELY accepted. Because the only games people DESCRIBE as hardcore are the gore-filled FPS's and things like that. By your definition...

Hardcore games are games that require your focus and dedication to progress in.
... games that most people deem "casual" like World of Warcraft are hardcore. And what about games like Team Fortress 2, or any FPS for that matter? There's no progression, unless there's some sort of bullshit leveling system to unlock gear. Perhaps to "succeed" in?

All games require your focus. Therefore, all games are hardcore.

For someone who claims to have such a beautiful, widely-used definition of hardcore... I have to wonder why it's got so many problems with it.

Oh wait. That's my entire argument in a nutshell. You can argue that MOST games are hardcore. By your definition, the only games that would fall into the casual category are the minigame collections and things like that. By your definition, The Sims would be hardcore. Animal Crossing would be hardcore. I'm not saying that they're not; from this point in the argument forward, I will deign no game as hardcore or casual. But those are games that are considered to exemplify "casual" gaming.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
widely-used definition of hardcore
I never claimed my definition was widely used. What I claim is that my definition makes the most sense considering the meaning of the term "hardcore" which is "serious about it". That is probably the best way to word my definition of "hardcore" and it has the added bonus of not giving you much room to pick over my word choice while missing the broader point I'm trying to get across. Hardcore gamers are gamers who are serious about gaming and hardcore games are games that require you to be serious about playing them in order to "succeed" in them.

I'm not sure if this is different than the definition you proposed. We may not disagree at all.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Georgie_Leech said:
My favourite example is Eternal Darkness. I'm still looking for a copy somewhere... Curse only being allowed to rent it...
Check Pawn Shops, it's where I found my copy a year and a half ago. $26 is a bit spendy to me, but for that game, I wasn't going to question it.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
I'd prefer they do mature games in the sense that the characters act mature and the story is realistic, not the theme park version of everything.

Strykz

Apr 4, 2010
AboveUp said:
I don't think Nintendo should do mature, it'd be like Disney making a slasher movie.
Take it you missed this:

http://community.imaginefx.com/forums/storage/8/252167/Epic-Mickey.jpg

It really has some f'd up things in it from what i've seen.

Edit- Didn't realise this was necro'd.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Maybe game studios should look to Nintendo to publish for them. The Nintendo stamp of "having something to do with it" will instantly boost the retail prospects.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Still, Nintendo encourages third-parties to make a niche for themselves on the Wii, if they can"
If they can... because of the aging hardware?

Seriously, if it had some more RAM and a better GPU we'd no doubt see a lot of "mature" games ported by all big developers for simultaneous release on "better-Wii", 360 and PS3 alike! But the relatively crappy hardware makes decent ports just impossible, constricting the flow of games to the console.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
crimsonshrouds said:
The problem is most of the wii's games are garbage.

it does not matter the rating

Edit
Georgie_Leech said:
My favourite example is Eternal Darkness. I'm still looking for a copy somewhere... Curse only being allowed to rent it...
At least im not the only person who knows of that little gem from the gamecube. for mentioning it you get a cookie.
I bought Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness at roughly the same time. I got a refund for Resident Evil because I just could not play it. The control style is far too clunky and it's nigh impossible to melee anything. Eternal Darkness controlled so much better that I kept it around.

Suprised it hasn't had some kind of sequel or spin off. It's a really good story to expand upon.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
Rect Pola said:
Maybe game studios should look to Nintendo to publish for them. The Nintendo stamp of "having something to do with it" will instantly boost the retail prospects.
The problem there is convincing Nintendo to publish your "SUPER GORE 5000 DEATHMATCH" game. If we're talking about mature games trying to get a foothold on the Wii.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Okay...I'm going to put this out there since no one seems to be touching it. The reason, the REAL reason why no one's touching the Wii's M-rated games is simply because of this: No one is even aware they are there. This is not speculation; this is fact. A few months ago, I bought both No More Heroes games after hearing about them through YouTube videos. I enjoyed them, so I went and told a few gamers I knew about them. They seemed interested, but when I mentioned the rating, their response was, "There's an M-rated game on the Wii?" I found myself only adding to their surprise when I listed four other M-rated Wii titles I knew about.

And that's that. These guys were usually pretty well informed about their games, so it shocked me to know they hadn't heard of any mature games for the Wii. One could say that's par for the course, I suppose; The Wii already has a solid reputation as a family/kid's console, but it still strikes me as sad that there's such wasted potential.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Bullshit. Nintendo games can very well be mature. Fire Emblem is a very mature series and Wind Waker at least deals with a mature theme. Just because it doesn't have tits, blood, and guns doesn't mean it's not mature.