Reggie: No Reason for Wii Owners to Get PS3 Move

SoxFan96

Mar 16, 2010
And in other news Bill Gates says that if you own an Xbox 360 there is no reason to get a PlayStation 3.

While Reggie does have a point that getting another motion controlled console would be kinda pointless he is getting paid to stay stuff like that. He is not going to say that everybody should go out and buy a PS3. That is Sony's job.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
I don't think the Move will overtake the Wii for the same reason the Zune isn't over overtaking the iPod. Even putting aside the actual, literal differences between the two products, the Wii has already made a name for itself as *THE* motion control game system. Whether or not Move is a better device has yet to be seen, but success is all about public perception, and in the public eye, the Wii is the system to get for motion controlled gameplay, case closed.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
No reason, eh? How about the fact that it also has games coming up and only a complete and utter moron would say such a statement?

Seriously, is he just baiting people to start a war?

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
When I look at PS Move (it still sounds like a PSP iteration), I must admit I don't see much beyond what the wii does (thus far the camera adds little). However, I see them able to take the mechanics of the Wii and couple them with the sheer power of the PS3 to do much more than a Wii game. And I don't mean graphics (that's just not fair) or accuracy (remember MotionPlus? That thing developers won't use?), but some deeper mechanic that I probably wouldn't think of because I never saw it as plausible.

But enough pipe-dreams. I'm aiming to wait until something I genuinely want comes out before getting it. I'd prefer to wait for several, but if that first doesn't do well there won't be any.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
I think most people would switch because they are sick of playing cooking mama and Wii sports, and the hundreds of games that are exactly like them. So if you were into motion control games (I'm not mostly because I have yet to see them done right in anything that isnt some sort or minigame/quicktime event heavy game, like Wario Wear)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I've gotta agree here.

The type of gamer who only has a Wii at this point isn't likely to jump ship to Sony or MS. They've already got games they presumably like and the promise of a deeper more hardcore gaming experience isn't going to sway them into spending $400+ on a new system. Even the HD angle is a moot point because chances are the majority of the Wii only fanbase don't really care about graphics or resolution.

The type of gamer who has a Wii but is interested in an HD experience or deeper more hardcore games.. well, quite frankly, they will already have a PS3 and/or 360 too.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Well, people who think that getting the Move is better than the Wii motion controller: just keep in mind that shovelware devs are already lining up to make games for the PS3. All that will end up happening is HD-Wii shovelware.

besides, he's saying that the Move is pointless because the Wii is already in the market. People will not want to get a PS3 + the Move + software. The Move will not move PS3s.

However, for people who already have PS3s, this will just be an addition of Sony's "Stupid Piece of Shit That Doesn't F***ing Work" line.

one thing that did confuse me about the six-axis controller is what axises did it use? I can only think of 3 in this dimension o_O

[edit]

And the Wii does have some good wii-motion games. There was No More Heroes, Metroid Prime Corruption, RE4-remake, ummm... okay I'm out.

But the only way this will be a success for Sony is if they have the right games released from the get-go.

heliosa

Jul 24, 2008
Tootmania said:
You know, he's right. There is no reason to get a PS3 move if you've got a Wii.

However there IS a reason to get just a plain old PS3, even if you've already experienced the Wii. You know, just in case you feel like playing some actual games with some actual depth, rather than a bunch of of flimsy mini-game collections and cheap Mario/Zelda/Pokemon remakes and cash-ins.
I don't mean to be snarky, but really, there are more games on the Wii than mini game collections and cash ins/remakes. If I understand correctly, your saying that the majority of PS3 titles are all unique and deep. But, couldn't you argue that a lot of PS3 titles are just shiny graphics and have no real depth? They'd be doing something a lot similar to what your doing.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
One thing both interviewer and interviewee seem to fail to realise is the insignificance of "What would Wii owners buy if thy don't already have a PS3"

Excuse me, but that demographics Nintendo DOESN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT, as:

(1) they Already own a Wii, job done, they'll buy games for it
(2) if they don't own a PS3 at this stage in the game, then PS-Move is not going to change much

One thing Reggie should be worried about is the millions of PS3 owners and prospective PS3 owners who DON'T own a Wii yet, how is Nintendo going to sell to them? I own a PS3 but have not bought a Wii yet and the big question is "Why should I spend $220 or £140 on a Wii when the PS3 will be offering all the appeal of the motion-controller only only in a far more refined format".

He has to realise it is both Cheaper and Easier for PS3 owners to buy a Playstation Move bundle than buy a Wii.

And say a family is lagging behind, they only have a Playstation 2 and haven't gotten a Wii yet due to all the shortages, but maybe got a HDTV due to the digital-switch-over.

A PS3 will be hugely appealing to that family as it offers:
-a "hardcore" games platform
-a blu-ray player
-a Wii-like "casual" games platform
-Also a DTV with PlayTV

And all the other freebies of free online multiplayer, a convenient web browser, movie download service, Netflix in USA, BBC iPlayer in UK. I hate to sound like a shill but Nintendo is going up against a LOT and Sony are advertising the crap out of their console, especially with their re-vamped look this Move interface is going to be really appealing.

I hope Nintendo responds to this simply by MASSIVELY cutting the price of the Wii down to as close to $100 as they dare, make it so that it is competitive with the price of a PS3-Move bundle, directly target it AT PS3 owners to go with a proven Casual-gaming platform rather than a relative newcomer.

Why do I personally hope Nintendo just makes their console more affordable? One word:

Zelda

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Tootmania said:
You know, he's right. There is no reason to get a PS3 move if you've got a Wii.

However there IS a reason to get just a plain old PS3, even if you've already experienced the Wii. You know, just in case you feel like playing some actual games with some actual depth, rather than a bunch of of flimsy mini-game collections and cheap Mario/Zelda/Pokemon remakes and cash-ins.
Yup, my thoughts exactly. Most people these days who only have a Wii aren't hardcore gamers, they're casuals, therefore the PS3 wouldn't interest them. If you're like me and actually enjoy playing real games, yeah you would want to get one. I mean I have all three, and my Wii never gets used anymore. It just takes up shelf space.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
technically sony did invent motion capture...well they pushed it along...well they brought it back from the grave lets just say that.

oh and why might wii people switch? the same reason people buy blu ray when they have dvd and this blu ray has built in blu...wait

Jaker the Baker

Guild Warrior
Nov 9, 2009
If the Move actually comes with GOOD GAMES, unlike the Wii, than Wii owners probably WILL pick it up, for the sake of reclaiming shattered dreams :p

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I agree on the Move thing, but the PS3 and the Wii have different games on them. I like both systems, and I hate to say it, but he sounds like he might be reaching a bit.

Stormshadow243

Dec 18, 2007
The Move will only be worth it if the games are more than damn eyetoy extension. But if Sony does show that the Move can be used in awesome and non-cumbersom ways, Wii owners might be thinking of spending the extra money on a second console for the prettier games, and the other stuff it can do. Of course this is more for the household who only has the Wii and not for the gamers who already have both.

I personally want to see some kind of fallout happen between Reggie and Nintendo and then see his ass on another console, pulling the same PR BS against his new competitors.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
pretty sure the move isnt for ppl who own a wii <.< more like ppl who are on the fence who havent bought a console. the Wii suddenly seems like a one trick pony when you compare it to the PS3. an extra $100 isnt that much more than what the Wii makes u do now. You spend $200-250 on the console and still have to shell out $60 for the nunchuck <.<

not sure where he thinks software is driving sales for nintendo. from all perspective it just seems like its a system solely based on peripheral driven sales <.<

But yes i agree they dont have to worry about Wii owners running to get the PS3. But he shouldnt be shocked either when there sales start to drop, when there cease to be a reason to pick the Wii over its HD counterpart that does more than just play games. they best step up their software 'game'.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I tend not to listen to Reggie. I don't particularly care for the path Nintendo has gone. I say the industry drops motion controls all together and gets back to the classic controls.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
MR T3D said:
...HD anyone?
there's something the ps3 has, and the wii does not.
ps3 games look GOOD on a good TV, most wii titles do not.
and don't talk to me about graphics<gameplay, this is resolution, which makes a large difference in terms of clarity.
Many wii games work around lack of HD, cel shading is a huge thing (look at no more heroes and tatsunoko vs capcom) and look at games like super mario galaxy, it looks great without HD, HD is not needed to make a good console in this generation.