Remember Me was Misunderstood Says Creative Director

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I played Remember Me about three months before Last of Us? I got bored within the first hour from the average as dicks gameplay, and dull voice acting and story. There was nothing to make me interested in it. I don't think I misunderstood anything...

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
I played a bit of Remember Me. While the whole memory remixing chain reaction thing was a good mechanic and very well done the rest of the game is just so crappy that it's not worth slogging through to get to the one good part.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I really liked Remember Me. I'll always remember it as that game with a cool world and story with gameplay that wasn't quite ready for prime time.

As for the game being misunderstood, you'll see he's being a lot more humble about it than the headline suggests. Shame on you if you got bent up over it.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
So let's remember Remember Me the way they want us to remember it: as the game squared off against a more... erm... rememberful (?) title. I'll remember that if I remember their studio's name when I next hear about their followup to Remember Me.

And remember, kids: only YOU can prevent forest fires!

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Goliath100 said:
Do Moris ever explain why Remember Me was "misunderstood"? Is this like Metro 2033 where there is a hidden mechanic?
There's a hidden mechanic in Metro? Google search didn't turn up anything for me.

Edit: Sorry, saw you've already answered that question.

truckspond said:
I played a bit of Remember Me. While the whole memory remixing chain reaction thing was a good mechanic and very well done the rest of the game is just so crappy that it's not worth slogging through to get to the one good part.
The memory remixing was amazing the first time it popped up. I liked the rest of the game, but it did feel like a bit of a slog at times. It hit that line where I was wanting to play through sections just to get to the next plot point instead of enjoying the gameplay.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
To be fair Remember Me's gameplay was about as interesting as that of Bioshock Infinite, and the story and setting had the same levels of entry level philosophical pretentiousness as Bioshock as well, only reason Remember Me performed worse was not being a shooter, and the futuristic idea of commercialization of memory and cooperative warfare was less popular than shooting racist sky Christians

That and Last of Us overshadowing it of course, it's usually a bad idea to release at the same time as something genuinely good

HesGotFlow

Aug 6, 2014
Studios like DONTNOD is why I still have faith in the gaming industry, they seek innovative approaches to gaming while deviating from mainstream genres. I enjoyed my time with Remember Me, and I hope their new title gets all the hype and attention it deserves.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I wont defend it quality

but I will say it did get a raw deal on release..bareley any promotion...but I supose that might be the case if your not a AAA jugernaught

I really REALLY hape their next project is as good as it needs to be

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
I picked it up for < 20$ a couple months ago and actually forgot that I had bought it for a week or two. Not a slam against the game, I just had a very hectic work schedule at the time.

When I finally got around to playing it, I enjoyed the game, but it felt like it was just the love child of Nathan Drake and Batman wearing a Deus Ex paint job.

The combat left a lot to be desired. I ended up changing my pressens around to either suit the situation (if it was a somewhat annoying fight) or to choreograph very impressive looking sequences if it was just a standard altercation.

A lot of the aspects didn't make sense in a "real world" setting, but instead depended on video game logic. The "steal a power packet from a door to go operate an elevator" worked well as a mechanic, but didn't actually make that much sense as something that would work.

I did really like the design of some of the mechanical enemies, in particular the large guard unit that would scream at you with a holographic mouth. It reminded me some of Cain (I think?) in Robocop 2.

Some of the design also reminded me of a series called Ergo Proxy, to the point that I would be somewhat surprised if the dev team in part or in whole claimed to have never heard of it.

What really knocked the game down for me was a couple of glitches/bugs in critical areas. I had to re-do a couple of fights multiple times before the game would actually accept that I had met the victory condition.

Bottom line, I would have liked a little more Deus Ex style flexibility in how the narrative played out, and more freedom to explore the world it took place in.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I'm not sure how it's misunderstood. The game was great short of level design (In that it wasn't more open), and fighting. I want a sequel.

I do agree that it got whooped by bigger releases, though.

I am looking forward to Life is Strange.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
pretty much as many of you guys said, it was alright but it has its flaws.
the combat is one of them. it was just impossible to get a full combo out when being overrun by 5 or more enemies. i think if the combat was reduced, integrated more puzzles (which were actually good and fun) and of course more memory mixing, this game would have been really awesome. they clearly tried to do too much for one game.

never the less, i still enjoyed the game a lot and its storyline. simple but interesting enough. also the heroin was interesting and surely a strong one at that.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
ProfMcStevie said:
I also hear that traversing the landscape was irritating and inefficient, but it DOES look good when it comes to detail, clearly the love was put in by the artists and not the designers.
This is the one thing I really took away from Remember Me. It reminded me of some of the worst elements of the PS1 days, where you would have to guess which of the pretty scenery pieces were actually accessible..
It astounds me how anyone could not understand how to make travel enjoyable. Space conservation? WHY?! Why put a ladder when you could come up with 100 more enjoyable and less pace breaking (Ladder sequences can be done right, but they are few and far between) choices. WHY is vehicle travel not appropriate to the size of the landscape half the time costing me my energy and time trying to have fun. Designers had trouble when they first started out, we have a decent amount of games under our belt, STOP making the same mistakes that others have.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Though Remember Me was my game of the year 2013, I cannot deny that it was heavily flawed (and my GOTY is based on my enjoyment, not on quality, otherwise Rayman Legends would be the best rather than #2).

I'll always love you, Remember Me, but you were not misunderstood. People acknowledged that you tried, some thought you failed, some thought you worked. That's it, really. Also, many claps for Nilin who was buried under people salivating over Elizabeth which is sad.

I'd also blame the fact that the Evil Corporations(TM) don't like games with female protagonists, nevermind the fact that one of the most critically acclaimed games of last year came out just after it (which was pretty good, too, so even more salt in the wounds).

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Metalrocks said:
the combat is one of them. it was just impossible to get a full combo out when being overrun by 5 or more enemies.
As I recall it was broken beyond all repair, you could just create a 5 hit combo where all the hits are healing type and break the combat, wouldn't change how intrusive it is to fight arena style combat all the time in such a game, but a button mash combo that wins laughs at pretty much every fight is a huge problem, broken good or bad is still stupid design but if they give me the tools I will use them as effectively as I see fit.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
I liked RM like bound by flame it has concepts that keep it in my collection they're unique RM has a really great concept with the memory remixes and was a nice first attempt game by them I would love them to make a sequel taking Nillian to another continent to keep fighting the fight but I don't think TLOU overshadowed the game it was the lack of promo one poster up doesn't do much to sell a game if no one asks about it. TLOU does have a way stronger narrative, characters, and action however I really enjoyed the Nillin thought moments us being in her head has made her more human then most heros out there. Dontnod did enough with RM to make me interested in keeping tabs on life is strange to see what new things they'll bring to the table even if the game ends up on an ok note them trying new things isn't horrible for the industry.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I absolutely adored Remember Me. The environments were flat out stunning, and the world was so immersive and alive; every new area was a joy to explore. The story itself was compelling and enthralling (not knowing exactly what to believe, or whether I was doing the right thing), and even the background story information was engrossing. The characters themselves were quite interesting - Nilin herself I absolutely loved. It was such a blast playing a badass female (and as a female myself) it was a great change of pace from the male dominated leads in most of the games I play.

I think about my only issue with the game was that the platforming portions were so straightforward. Even the combat I enjoyed, as I had to make changes here and there to the combos to deal with different types of foes, and the enemies were so varied that there was always a new approach I could be taking. But the platforming.. Well, the world had a lot of points that looked climbable but weren't, so I understand the difficulty in removing a guidance system when only a limited number of pipes/ledges are actually accessible. I feel it would have been more frustrating than it's worth to remove the navigation system, unless they found some way to make it slightly more obvious which areas could be interacted with.

Overall I absolutely and utterly love the game, and I'm truly heartbroken that it did poorly, as I would have loved to see another game set in that same universe.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
One more person here to say how interesting the game was, but poorly implemented.

Pros: Great concept, great artwork, solid gameplay, rich WORLD building.

Cons: Predictable storyline, weak realization of the concepts, wasted potential, caricatures instead of characters.

I would love to see a sequel, spiritual or otherwise, and more of the memory games. The original, however, failed b/c it was not a strong game...not b/c it or it's heroine were "misunderstood." Nowadays, that term has come to mean what "entitled" means when leveraged against fans and consumers.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I don't care what anyone says. I played Remember Me, twice, all the way through. I thoroughly enjoyed the game both times. I loved the combat because it felt very fluid and visceral to me. I loved the art aesthetics and atmosphere rendered in the game's visuals; there was mood and emotion in the visual design, a certain flow and feel. It wasn't just highly detailed high-resolution polygons and textures. Yes, the story was a bit thin, and the concept of the memory manipulations could have been given more emphasis. However, despite these short-comings, I still enjoyed playing through the game. For me, Remember Me feels like a modern-day ICO; remember, ICO didn't receive much fanfare when it released, and it's reviews were pretty mediocre. But look at how much the game has become revered years later, when people finally realize the true artistry that went into the game.

Remember Me is not a perfect game, not by a long short. But, in my opinion, it is a breathe of fresh air in the game industry. I would happily play the game a third and fourth time. Now that's real replay value, in my opinion, not this chore-like grinding for achievements and Easter-egg hunting that passes for replay value (to me, replay value is how much you want to play the game again just for the sheer pleasure of experiencing it again).

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
It wasn't bad, nor was it good. When I played it I didn't mind my time playing it, but when I had to reformat my OS I never got the urge to really reinstall it. The art direction was really good, the soundscape and art was amazing, but it just felt too linear and the combat got pretty repetitive. If they did a few minor tweaks I feel like it'd be better, like open world, bit more variation in combat, and open world cause i want to explore and climb that world.