Remember Me was Misunderstood Says Creative Director

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
As ive heard the combat was extremely repetitive, so no not miss understood just boring.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well you made a mediocre and pretty dull game, I understand there were ideas for bigger and better things but those didn't end up in the game. And the real problem is that you the devs don't understand this, because now you are bound to make the same mistakes that never will make sense.

Also when you imagine the main feature of your game is protagonist gender shit will do wrong every time.

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
Remember Me failed due to ludonarrative dissonance.

The world you are supposed to be traversing is supposed to be one in which people live.

Do you currently live in a world where it takes some impressive parkour skills and risking electrocution to get to the pub?

It would have worked better as an adventure title with more focus on the memory remixing. Everything else in terms of gameplay didn't really fit.

You could see the compromises the developers were making and which points they wanted, versus which points seemed put in there to fit what somebody thought the market wanted.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Isn't someone misunderstanding something usually the fault of the writer or designer? I mean sometimes it is the fault of the consumer, but not always. Anyway, I played this game from the start to the first fight. I immediately decided I wanted nothing to do with it after that. Luckily it was free.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Ok so the guy says "it was misunderstood" misunderstood how? It sound a lot more like how the FarCry 3 guy said something about the game being deeper, but all they had was some "OMG THIS IS SO ALICE IN WONDERLAND" bs because they plastered the loading screens with paragraphs from that book.

"It was misunderstood and The Last of Us hype buried it" I didn't care for the latter and I still don't, and even then all I saw from Remember Me was the "look how flexible our combat is" which wasn't even the case.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Pretend the ninja is Remember Me.

They ripped off Oni as much as they could, and still made a far worse game.
But the setting was nice.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
I liked remember me, it would have been nice for the re-mixing to be a larger part of the game this was the main strength of the game. The setting and the premise of the story was also very interesting. The combat was nowhere near as bad as people make out, it may not be everyone's cup of tea but i think that a large part of it may be people using far too much defense and healing in there combos, is it as good as batman ? No but its not boring combat if was was to criticize the combat it would be that the difficulty fluctuates all over the place. Now the platforming was not amazing it was far too restricted with too many prompts, i was not a huge fan of this part of the game.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
"Competition with The Last Of Us" - well, perhaps they should have anticipated that and changed the release date? And that excuse doesn't stand up for the Xbox 360 version, surely.

I haven't played Remember Me. It registered dully in the back of my mind as an average-looking game with a vaguely interesting premise, the kind of game I'd buy for £5 if I saw it preowned. There was nothing about it that made me genuinely excited. Either that's because the game genuinely wasn't very exciting, or their advertising division were sitting around with their thumbs in their... mouths. Either way, that's not a misunderstanding, that's squarely their fault.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I had fun playing 'Remember Me'. And I particularly enjoyed the Franco-Belgian Comic influence in its presentation. Could be I completed the whole game simply because it had a slightly exotic note and a different tone than 'Space Man Shoot Shoot'.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
ProfMcStevie said:
Metalrocks said:
the combat is one of them. it was just impossible to get a full combo out when being overrun by 5 or more enemies.
As I recall it was broken beyond all repair, you could just create a 5 hit combo where all the hits are healing type and break the combat, wouldn't change how intrusive it is to fight arena style combat all the time in such a game, but a button mash combo that wins laughs at pretty much every fight is a huge problem, broken good or bad is still stupid design but if they give me the tools I will use them as effectively as I see fit.
weird. i played in on pc and i cant say the combat was broken. it worked fine enough. just performing a huge combo was hard because once you dodge, it resets the combo. also i got hit a bunch of times as well so i had to perform the combos that i had set with more healing hits than damage. and so far i know only the first hit was set, but the rest you could select what each hit should do. was it time reduction, healing or more damage.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
I quite enjoyed Remember Me, but it was game whose ambition exceeded its grasp. As I recall, every critical review that I read of the game said pretty much the same thing; not entirely sure where the misunderstanding factors in.

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
I quite liked Remember Me. The level design was gorgeous and clever, the score was phenomenal, and I found the combat fun and challenging. I did make a good choice in switching to the French voice acting shortly after starting, the English was pretty execrable (and it's Paris, it should sound like it). Really, the setting was the star of that game, I'd definitely like to see another game in that world.

I got it for pretty cheap on a steam sale, so that also helped.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Tilted_Logic said:
every new area was a joy to explore
Tilted_Logic said:
a joy to explore
Tilted_Logic said:
Huh, I must have played a different game, because all the "exploring" I remember was running down dark, narrow and samey corridors.

To me, that was the game's greatest sin. It gave me a glimpse of the vibrant world of neo-Paris and, as soon as I built up some excitement, thrust me into The Endless Hallway. It should have been open-world, or at least semi-open, with more freedom to run around and explore the levels. What we got was a narrow parth with doors closing behind us every five steps lest we actually try and explore the setting.

It reeked of a game with ambitions exceeding its budget. It could have been great, but it was just mediocre. Average combat, poorly writter dialogue (although that's par for the course in the game industry), some big plot problems (the writers seemed to have a thing for hastily introducing characters, then just dropping them in without a word when they were needed, only for them to go back to the shelf straight afterward), and worst of all - the narrow corridors. Those all seem like problems which could have been remedied with more resources and development time.

Not saying you're wrong for liking it, just that I understand the Escapist's 3/5. The game probably needed around twice as much resources to realize the devs' vision.

Smooth Operator said:
Also when you imagine the main feature of your game is protagonist gender shit will do wrong every time.
Meh, the more time passes since the pre-release statements, the more I'm convinced it was just a controlled attempt at marketing. Bioshock Infinite, Remember Me and The Last of Us all used the same "we are brave crusaders for the cause of the female protagonist, fighting against the woman-hating publishers!" line in short succession, but no studio made any big statements to that effect before or after that short period.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
erbkaiser said:
Remember Me had nice levels and an extremely cool memory remixing aspect, but the combat system was horrible and repetitive. It's more than a little arrogant to imply the reason it failed was that TLOU came out -- I think Remember Me's combat would have brought it down no matter what game it went up against.
It wouldn't have influenced opinions, but it's not implausible that TLOU knocked down Remember Me's sales.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
If you strip away the mechanics and linear maps of the game you have an incredibly interesting world with some great characters and an aesthetic design that understands how to be realistic without being bland and boring.

Also one of the few games that has an interesting and relatable female protagonists.

So I don't think it was misunderstood, I think it's combat, mechanics, and level design were sub-par.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I also had some problems with Nilin as a character. On one hand, she is presented as the archetypical Robin Hood-like character fighting against evil, greedy corporations (which I have seen done hundreds of times), then they gave her the power to mind control people to do their bidding, but she never seems troubled by it. At one point, she sends an assassin after an innocent medic by making her believe he is responsible for her husband death...

roguewriter

May 9, 2011
(*Spoilers*) Picked up 'Remember Me' for free via Xbox Gold. Found it to be a rather great game that just felt like it had a ton of great ideas thrown at it that were never given the time, or production resources, to be fleshed out completely.

Couple that with a story that was pretty much neutered by turning out to be nothing more than a 'Family Angst' plot with rationalities that left one bewildered by the character's motivations ("Wait. Your kid made you lose your leg so you became evil? Huh?") and more than dissatisfied by their conclusions and it's clear the game wasn't "misunderstood" but was just poorly executed. Not terribly so, but still.

What really let me down was just how easily it could have been something truly outstanding had they only made some small tweaks. Namely:

-Make combat optional and more of a consequence if discovered, i.e. make Stealth the primary focus of the game's level exploration mechanics in the same vein as Thief or Splinter Cell.

-Expand on Nilin's supposedly savant mind altering skills and tie them into almost every aspect of the game, don't just rely on her glove tech or leave the Sensen stuff for story moments. Examples would be being spotted by a guard would give you a quick prompt that allowed you to hack their Sensen and alter their memory via a challenging mini-game, thereby making them forget you and temporarily stunning them so you can get away. Fail and the alarms sound and you get pounded. (Seriously, five foot six, 112 lbs Nilin should not be able to tangle with a squad of heavily armed and armored guards and come away clean...)

-Likewise give Nilin the ability to hack Sensens from a distance (as seen in the game's story moments) so she can alter the perception of people in the environment. See two guards blocking your way? Hack one and make him believe the other guard is sleeping with his wife. Fight ensues, guards take out each other. Just make those skills require long cooldowns or points earned from achieving level goals or objectives, discovering STATS, etc.

-Lastly make the story truly about Revolution and the cost of "Evolution" and technology. Delve more into Neo-Paris's war torn world and huge divide between rich and poor, society issues, morality, ethics and so forth. Nilin should not have had close ties to the "villains." Make her truly a freedom fighter and not some patsy for sad memories Skynet.

These were just a few thing which, I feel, would have brought the game closer to what it was originally suggested and shown, in many respects, to be.

roguewriter

May 9, 2011
Jupiter065 said:
I did make a good choice in switching to the French voice acting shortly after starting, the English was pretty execrable (and it's Paris, it should sound like it)
This was something I immediately wanted to do once I got through half of the game, but I decided to see it through with the english dialog. While I thought Kezia Burrows did a brilliant job as Nilin, there was something bizarre about hearing a *very* French half white, half black young woman sound like a very white posh british woman. So, yeah, looking forward to going back and playing through in French (with subtitles, obviously) ^.^

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ah, Remmeber Me, the game which everyone ironically forgot.

Yes, the game was misunderstood, but their own development team. they clearly had no vision at what they wanted to make with the game.