Remember Neopets?

EcstaticObsessive

Jun 12, 2011
Now, I'm not sure about the rest of Escapist, but Neopets pretty much introduced me to the internet. It was the first site I visited daily and enjoyed exploring. I think I must have been about nine or ten. Thinking back, I can only remember good things about that site.

I think most of us will agree that nowadays, the site has really gone to the dogs. Mostly because they actually started to try and milk a profit from it. I can understand wanting to make some money for your work, and I guess the dickloads of ads everywhere just weren't doing it. Fair enough. Even though it's fair, it doesn't mean we have to like it.

A while ago they did a massive rollback, deleting any accounts that hadn't been used in the past year. My first account was one of the many deleted, as I lost my password for it ages ago. The site just feels so empty now. Like, you can really feel the lack of people. Or is that just me?

Anyways, I've still got my latest account. Mainly because I'm OCD about the plushies. If there's one thing I still like, it's being able to collect certain items, and I just adore the plushies. I want them all, as ridiculous as it is.

So, Escapist, have you still got a Neopets account? Do you use it? Come share your Neopets stories or whatever, I'm interested in how many of my fellow Escapists also have fond Neopets memories.

-Coughandmaybesomeonewantstotradecough-

gruggins

Apr 24, 2011
my god....

i remember neopets. i remember the many hours spent hoarding plushies and map pieces and the like. back in the good old days before it was bought by nickalodien. i think i started playing in 2001 when i was ten years old.

i never could afford that pirate paint-brush... *sigh*

lucaf

Sep 26, 2009
haha same, that introduced me to the internet too. I was so bad at it, kept losing passwords and never got rich enough to not have to rely on the soup fairy and giant omelet for food

but man was it awesome. I miss the grundos...

EcstaticObsessive

Jun 12, 2011
excusablegold said:
my god....

i remember neopets. i remember the many hours spent hoarding plushies and map pieces and the like. back in the good old days before it was bought by nickalodien. i think i started playing in 2001 when i was ten years old.

i never could afford that pirate paint-brush... *sigh*
I still hoard plushies. And damn proud of it. Yeah, after Nickelodeon bought it, it just all went downhill.

I know that feel bro. I badly wanted the Baby Paintbrush, just so I could have that cute little baby calf. I was such a little girl with my Neopets.

SpikeyGirl

Jun 30, 2009
I used to have an account donkeys years ago, I've long since forgotten about it all(username and password)
Apparently the original creators went to the same school as me, probably long before I turned up, but still gives me a small sense of pride.

EcstaticObsessive

Jun 12, 2011
lucaf said:
haha same, that introduced me to the internet too. I was so bad at it, kept losing passwords and never got rich enough to not have to rely on the soup fairy and giant omelet for food

but man was it awesome. I miss the grundos...
I know, it was awful when I lost my first account. I kept looking it up and getting upset over how sick and hungry Milkcakes looked...

I loved all the cutesy girly Neopets, like Kaus and Unis. My brother had a Skeith and a Grundo c:

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I had a dragon, I think I called him Scorch but I am not sure. I know I adopted a T-Rex to try and use in the fights, but it got the grumbles I think. The medicine cost a RIDICULOUS amount so my plan of fighting with it was thwarted. Not long after, I gave up on the thing.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
ah yes, i'm the same (about the whole internet thing) i thiiiink i can still remember my first pet, from about 10 years ago, it was a Flotsam called Fisher2000, didn't know they had started deleting accounts, in that case mine's probably gone, shall check... no it's still there! and my pets are on the verge of death by starvation :(

EcstaticObsessive

Jun 12, 2011
SpikeyGirl said:
I used to have an account donkeys years ago, I've long since forgotten about it all(username and password)
Apparently the original creators went to the same school as me, probably long before I turned up, but still gives me a small sense of pride.
Baha, that's still awesome.

demoman_chaos said:
I had a dragon, I think I called him Scorch but I am not sure. I know I adopted a T-Rex to try and use in the fights, but it got the grumbles I think. The medicine cost a RIDICULOUS amount so my plan of fighting with it was thwarted. Not long after, I gave up on the thing.
I never liked the Battledome. I was a very "No! Don't you dare hurt my darling Neopets D:!" sort of player.

EcstaticObsessive

Jun 12, 2011
interspark said:
ah yes, i'm the same (about the whole internet thing) i thiiiink i can still remember my first pet, from about 10 years ago, it was a Flotsam called Fisher2000, didn't know they had started deleting accounts, in that case mine's probably gone, shall check... no it's still there! and my pets are on the verge of death by starvation :(
Oh! Oh! Can I have a look? c:

Lucky you having your account. Mines long gone. Worse, someones taken the name, so now there's some impostor in my place.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I remember hearing about Neopets, but by then I was a teenager and I wasn't really interested. Instead my classmates were all playing AdventureQuest during computer class. I recently checked out AdventureQuest again, and to my surprise it's not only still going strong, but there's a bunch of new content that's been added since my last visit (granted it was back in 2003, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised).

A friend of mine was into Neopets for a while, but he lost interest after they started really fleecing the players for money.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Oh yeah, I remember Neopets! I used to have an account, but I lost interest and left the site (my poor pets...).

Recently, however, I got back into the site with a new account. ("Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!")

I'm really miffed about the whole Mall thing, in which you need a "special" kind of Neopoints to get all the good stuff.

Pssh. What a crock.

EcstaticObsessive

Jun 12, 2011
Neverhoodian said:
I remember hearing about Neopets, but by then I was a teenager and I wasn't really interested. Instead my classmates were all playing AdventureQuest during computer class. I recently checked out AdventureQuest again, and to my surprise it's not only still going strong, but there's a bunch of new content that's been added since my last visit (granted it was back in 2003, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised).

A friend of mine was into Neopets for a while, but he lost interest after they started really fleecing the players for money.
Yeah, I'd heard of AdventureQuest. But I was a wee lass back then, and it didn't interest me. Surprisingly, Neopets keeps adding to the site, and some of it looks pretty spiffy. I'm impressed how much effort they put into their work still.

Trippy Turtle said:
I had a blue Jubbly i think it was called. I was so good at the snake style game on it.
You mean a Jubjub? I loved those :3 So round and fluffy.

Michael Flick said:
I had one, I was on the older side of that trend though, I think it was a turtle.

A turtle, you say? Possibly a Kiko?

CrazyGirl17 said:
Oh yeah, I remember Neopets! I used to have an account, but I lost interest and left the site (my poor pets...).

Recently, however, I got back into the site with a new account. ("Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!")

I'm really miffed about the whole Mall thing, in which you need a "special" kind of Neopoints to get all the good stuff.

Pssh. What a crock.
Same story with me, I started up a new account and everything. And yeah, the Neocash mall. Very IMVU-y with you being able to buy cards for Neocash and whatnot. There are a few ways to get free Neocash onsite, but it's mostly luck dependent.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I had a green...Kuriboh like thing. And then when I went back, And saw that they ruined the simplicity of it. I turned and ran away and forgot what was so horrible to preserve my memories.

wilson_ty

Mar 29, 2011
I used to have a blue wolf, and I played for a while every day. I thought, "Play games to get virtual money so I can upgrade a pet of my choosing? Who thought of this?!". Some of the games were a little beyond me, but I played the simple ones and earned lots of money, but the items had a huge gap that went from $500 to $500000 for some uber banana. As the years moved on, I discovered games like Counter-Strike, and Garry's Mod (I got Gmod 9 a little before Gmod 10, and was very happy to see the improvements. I love TTT now :D ), and moved on to other games. Now I'm playing games like Recettear, The Witcher 2, and Borderlands GOTY (well, those are the last three games I bought, two of which from the Steam sales, the other was on a whim).

EcstaticObsessive

Jun 12, 2011
Richardplex said:
I had a green...Kuriboh like thing. And then when I went back, And saw that they ruined the simplicity of it. I turned and ran away and forgot what was so horrible to preserve my memories.
Yup, sounds like a Jubjub.

Ah, see when I went back, I saw everything new and said to myself "Now this might be worth checking out."

Mind you, like others have stated, it's certainly not what it once was.