Remove a law.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
The death penalty. Not that I don't think certain people should die for their crimes, but the way it's instituted in some places (like here in Texas) grates very much against me. Dozens of people have been posthumously exonerated by DNA evidence, and many on death row right now can't easily (or at all) get access to DNA testing that could exonerate them. The fact that, for whatever reason, innocent people are being executed says to me that all philosophy and ideology aside, the system isn't working and so shouldn't be in place at all. Morally I'm ambivalent--depends on the exact circumstances of the crime for me. But pragmatically it seems like a flawed system.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Fetzenfisch said:
Everything that forbids people to control their own fate.
May it be suicide, drug abuse, you name it. We all got a single life on this planet and thats all we get. What we do with this is our very own decision and no one else has the right to choose for us.
If you like to end your life, do it
If you like to try every drug ever invented, feel free to do so.
Your life and body are your most basic possessions, whoever tries to outrule you here has to be fought

(i neither do drugs , nor do i want to waste that little time of existence that was given to me, but i just hate the way some governments want to treat their people.)

2nd law on my list is the civil ownership of weaponry, there is no reason for this. Period.
Your life and your body are yours, but everyone is in a relationship of some kind with other people...and you're hurting the hell out of them when you do this. That's why I'm okay with there being laws against destroying yourself, whether by death or otherwise.

As for tar in marijuana...yes, like you said, people don't smoke 2 packs of joints a day. Tobacco is addictive. At least give the poor guys a drug against which they have a fighting chance, not one which sucks in your brain forever.

fibchopkin

Feb 22, 2011
inFAMOUSCowZ said:
fibchopkin said:
inFAMOUSCowZ said:
Patriot Act GONE, damn I'd be so happy if it was gone.
Why? That's kind of a weird one to have a thing against.
If any police officer or anything in law enforcement remotely believes or just feels like it. They can search my house believing I am a terrorist, completely ignoring the 4th amendment. You need a search warrant to do such things.
Ahhh crumbs... you guys are right- for some strange reason I confused the soldiers and sailors act with the patriot act. Sorry- I agree, communications monitoring and illegal entry being legalized sucks- and is big brotherish.
fibchopkin said:
Ahhh yes. As both an Iraq vet and an army wife,(not to mention a paralegal) I'm pretty well versed on it... and in favor of it. Are you actually able to answer my initial question, (which was in no way meant to be offensive) or are you just going to be snarky?
Kroxile said:
fibchopkin said:
inFAMOUSCowZ said:
Patriot Act GONE, damn I'd be so happy if it was gone.
Why? That's kind of a weird one to have a thing against.
Do you even know what the Patriot Act is?

I even got all snarky myself w/ the paralegal bit, sorry... Let this be a lesson- no forum posting before my first cup of coffee...

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
I would criminalize everything, then turn the country into some kind of... SUPER JAIL!

goldendriger

Dec 21, 2010
UK- Id remove the "No firearms" bullshit, stops people getting shot, sure but people get stabbed instead. Or at least the "No swords" thats just messed up.
You're not allowed swords with fake blades, because they could be used to threaten, but if they're made traditionally (Basically if they're real and can cut) they're legal, what the fck kind of sense does that make?

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Aurora Firestorm said:
Fetzenfisch said:
May it be suicide, drug abuse, you name it. We all got a single life on this planet and thats all we get. What we do with this is our very own decision and no one else has the right to choose for us.
Your life and body are your most basic possessions, whoever tries to outrule you here has to be fought

(i neither do drugs , nor do i want to waste that little time of existence that was given to me, but i just hate the way some governments want to treat their people.)

2nd law on my list is the civil ownership of weaponry, there is no reason for this. Period.
Your life and your body are yours, but everyone is in a relationship of some kind with other people...and you're hurting the hell out of them when you do this. That's why I'm okay with there being laws against destroying yourself, whether by death or otherwise.

As for tar in marijuana...yes, like you said, people don't smoke 2 packs of joints a day. Tobacco is addictive. At least give the poor guys a drug against which they have a fighting chance, not one which sucks in your brain forever.
yeahhh because dope isnt addictive and doesnt influence the brain....do you know any hard users of marijana? they may not smoke 2 fictious "packs" of joints but probably 6-8 joints or up to 20 heads in a bong.
And they are way more destroyed then someone smoking 2 packs of tobacco a day. Those might die of cancer and have low stamina, but hardcore ganja addicts are technically useless for everything.
Still i dont oppose the use of marijuana.I know more than a few that do, heck even i myself do it ,if only 2-3 times a year. Like i said, its everyone's choice, if you cant handle it , you lose.
And to speak about the relationship to other people , if you care about them enough, you dont destroy yourself. if you dont care its not worth considering them.
Another reason why i wouldnt do it. But if i wouldnt have people i like around me, why should i care?
Plus if you really have a personal reasone, terminal illness, chronical unhappiness, they should accept your choice, or they arent worth it.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
aba1 said:
novixz said:
In you'r country, state, city, village, etc. remove a law you think is stupid. Or add a law. I personally would legalize drugs. Before you think I'm some stoner or cocaine fiend or whatever I've never have nor do I plan on doing drugs. I would make people get a special license for certain narcotics and tax them. A lot. I think it would help the economy to a great extent and take down most of what street gangs and mafias get their funds from.
I can agree with this but I have to say having legal crytal meth doesn't seem like a good idea maybe somthing light like a bitta pot which is bearly illegal anyways but hard drugs I dunno thats not the kinda thing I want my kids to so simply be able to pick up educated or not that stuff is actually dangerous.
Well, a good point made by many is that if you won't do drugs while they're illegal, what would change your mind if it was? Nobody really cares about the laws now, so why not take them down?

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Fetzenfisch said:
Aurora Firestorm said:
Fetzenfisch said:

yeahhh because dope isnt addictive and doesnt influence the brain....do you know any hard users of marijana? they may not smoke 2 fictious "packs" of joints but probably 6-8 joints or up to 20 heads in a bong.
And they are way more destroyed then someone smoking 2 packs of tobacco a day. Those might die of cancer and have low stamina, but hardcore ganja addicts are technically useless for everything.
Still i dont oppose the use of marijuana.I know more than a few that do, heck even i myself do it ,if only 2-3 times a year. Like i said, its everyone's choice, if you cant handle it , you lose.
And to speak about the relationship to other people , if you care about them enough, you dont destroy yourself. if you dont care its not worth considering them.
Another reason why i wouldnt do it. But if i wouldnt have people i like around me, why should i care?
Plus if you really have a personal reasone, terminal illness, chronical unhappiness, they should accept your choice, or they arent worth it.
Wow, that's a selfish way to think. "If they're really good people, they'll be okay with me screwing myself over." So they have an obligation to you, but you don't have one to them? Relationships are a two way street.

Chronic pain and other nasty illness problems, yeah, is something I haven't worked out. I'm mostly referring to things like "I can abuse drugs if I want to; screw everyone else's opinion." I mean, wow.

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
I think the phrases "legalize drugs" and "legalize pot" must be distinct in this argument. Some drugs are downright nasty and in no way should be legalized - meth, heroin, PCP, this krokodil in Russia. I'm just pointing this out, I don't actually support either movement (and if I wanted to talk about why I wouldn't want weed legalized, I'd make my own thread about it). It would be idiotic to legalize a drug that can kill an addict in 2-3 years, if not from meningitis, pneumonia, blood poisoning or artery bursting, through sheer exposure of the bone to the atmosphere. Not a fun thing to try out. (Upon viewing this post, I'll clarify that I refer to krokodil, not weed)

Anyway, this is a hard question. I think the Patriot Act is a necessary evil, the Espionage Act of 1917 might actually be a good law, even if the intent recently has been completely different from historic use. So I'm going with any law that forbids gay marriage, because damn the religious people, gay couples should be able to enjoy the same tax breaks and legally binding union that hetero couples get.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
ravensheart18 said:
Ban anyone under 19 from going on the internet.

/ducks
That's not removing a law, that's making one.

OT: I want to remove American freedom of speech. Why you ask? Because every fucker with an opinion uses it here in Britain where we don't have it. It makes me want to hit them in the face with a large wrench.