Renaming Earth, because its a boring name.

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
The planets in our solar system are actually reachable on Wikipedia with their standardized designations of first naming the central star and then counting outward.

For example, our star would be "Sol" (being the Latin word for "sun", clever, huh?), making planet Mercury "Sol-1", Venus becomes "Sol-2" and Earth is, you guessed it, "Sol-3". Interestingly, "Sol-9" still links to Pluto, which I'm pretty sure is outdated because it is no longer a planet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol-3

"Sol Prime" is another term that links to earth, although there doesn't seem to be an official rule for that - while most are willing to give good old Terra the "prime" designation for being the most densely populated/earliest discovered/hub of civilization, others would see it as a synonym for "Sol-1", i.e. Mercury (I remember that's how games like Master of Orion 2 handled it).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Prime

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Cpu46 said:
Durgiun said:
I say we call it Rectum.

'Cause it's the biggest shithole in the universe.
That reminds me of a conversation me and my friend had when we were young and not quite as mature. We would name anything under our control myrectum, myballs, or any similar socially inappropriate body part preceded by my. Our logic told us that nobody would invade just out of plain embarrassment.

Reminds me of a story I heard. Back in Yugoslavia some things were named Tito's X. There was one place called Jajce (meaning ''small egg''. But ''jaja'' is also slang for ''testicles''.) It was never renamed.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
snappydog said:
We should name it... The Spanish Inquisition.
Somebody, please, I've given you the set-up. DO WHAT YOU MUST.
At least nobody would expect it...

OT:Gallifrey, obviously.

Matt Smmith

May 3, 2011
I think we should name it Ameurafrica. That's all the inhabited continents, since Asia is really part of Europe.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
What about Binky? It's a good enough name for deaths horse, why not for our little planet?

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Durgiun said:
I say we call it Rectum.

Pretty sure Uranus is already.

Terra sounds good to me. When I am the Global Emperor I shall rename it to Terra and we shall all be Terrans.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
Aurgelmir said:
We live in the Sol System, which is a solar system :)
Actually, I believe that solar system refers specifically to our star system. It is The Solar System.

Anyway, this planet is 'Terra.' (Latin for Earth). It sounds fine to me.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Legendsmith said:
Aurgelmir said:
We live in the Sol System, which is a solar system :)
Actually, I believe that solar system refers specifically to our star system. It is The Solar System.

Anyway, this planet is 'Terra.' (Latin for Earth). It sounds fine to me.
I stand corrected. You are right :D
As the others are called Star systems :)

warrcry13

Jun 6, 2010
TimeLord said:
Nouw said:
Holy Terra is the only suitable name for 'Earth.'
Heretic! The Imperial Truth does not deal in your religious views!

And anyway, to be "Holy Terra" you'd need the corpse of a omnipotent being sitting on an incredibly complex machine deep in the Himalayan Mountains that holds the horrors of the warp at bay for all time.
You mean we don't already have that?

Yeah I really don't see a reason to rename it. Not unless we find a another species sometime, and they have a planet with an awesome name. We just can't let them win with the name of our planet.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Durgiun said:
I say we call it Rectum.

????????????????

This endlessly confuses me.
I proposed we rename our planet, which is called Earth, ''Rectum'' because I think it is a giant shithole. And, since I know of no other planet that has human-like stupidity on it, I view it as not just a giant shithole, but the biggest shithole in the universe.

If I expand on it anymore I'll be writing a Stephen King length novel. That's a thought.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
PDIBPA.

Primitive Dirtball Inhabited By Psychotic Apes. Not to catchy but damn accurate.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
My buddies over in Alpha Centari say the planet's name is Sol-3. Makes it easier for astro-navigation. So I'm gonna go with that.

Captcha: I am here O.O

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I vote we call it New Scammerdonia.
[sub]Seriously how have we gotten to page 5 without a Futurama reference yet?[/sub]

Eleuthera said:
Logically we'd call this planet Water instead of Earth... there's a lot more of that.
By that logic we would be calling it Magma, theres a damn lot more magma under the crust than there is earth and water and air put together.