Renaming Earth, because its a boring name.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
Come to think of it, how is 'Earth' or our planet name expressed in other languages, it might sound cooler in spanish, italian, japanese, or even russian. I know the latin was Terra, but if I had to rename it for fun I would name it "Stoopid" and then spraypaint the moon "I'm with Stoopid" and yes I like to spell stupid in a funny manner.

captcha: cut and run, th-th-th-th-that's all folks *booked it*

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Binnsyboy said:
Ectoplasmicz said:
Keith.

Lets name our planet 'Keith'.
But then our planet would totally never get laid!

It's totally had its eye on Venus for the last half century!

Captcha: that's hot

Captcha, why do you have a thing for planet sex!?

That hot enough for you? I'm sure I had a Moon-on-Earth somewhere around here...

Really, if we ended up changing the name of our planet, I'd go for Terra. It just works, and the Terran Empire sounds friggen awesome.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
After much thought, the Titan A.E, Futurama, Hitchhiker's, and Doctor Who, and other references already being taken, ignoring my own preference of Sol 3 due to its usefulness in astrological navigation, and me not wanting to go with the typical humans-suck-so-Earth-deserves-a-shitty-condescnding-name option; I have chose a suitable name for Earth.

Bacon.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Durgiun said:
lacktheknack said:
Durgiun said:
I say we call it Rectum.

'Cause it's the biggest shithole in the universe.
????????????????

This endlessly confuses me.
I proposed we rename our planet, which is called Earth, ''Rectum'' because I think it is a giant shithole. And, since I know of no other planet that has human-like stupidity on it, I view it as not just a giant shithole, but the biggest shithole in the universe.

If I expand on it anymore I'll be writing a Stephen King length novel. That's a thought.
Oh, so you're just relentlessly cynical? Sorry, I thought you had an interesting explanation to that. Should have known better on the internet.

ghostsprite9

Dec 1, 2008
Surely if it was changed, this same conversation will be repeated at some point.
"Earth" is only boring because its been used for decades/centuries/whatever...

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I am pretty sure that Terra is the latin word for the plaint we live on and earth I think means dirt. So Terra is more accurate I guess, but Terran means (I think) being form earth. So that could be like your cat or something just anything that lives on Earth.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I like Earth! It's better than Terra, I like that it's not another Latin name. I'm tired of everything having Latin names, Latin can fuck off. The best words are Old English, like ****.

If not Earth, I suggest 'Dirty Wet Rock Ball'.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Earth has many names actually, since it's a bit forthcoming to just go 'OKAY, THIS IS CALLED EARTH NOW EVERYONE ON THE PLANET, YOU KAY WITH THAT? OKAY'

Be it Terra, Gaia, Terre, Erde, Bhumi, Ulagam, Maa, Pamant, Fold, Ziemia, Zemlja, Zemya, Dine, Erz, Zewl, Jehun, Zamin, Tierra, Diqui, Chikyuu, Jigu, Bumi, Jorden, Bhoomi, Gi, Choma, Khthon, Dunia, Alem, Dunyaworld, Ardh', Ergir, Acun, Yeyuzu, Yerkure, Mundo, Daigdig, Lupa, Tatar, Zher or Qazaq. And that's just to name a few.

Fact is, only English speaking countries or international science teams refer to this planet as Earth. And as English is the language of choice for a lot of official shit in the world, they just call it Earth.

As Earth literally means the ground, mud, soil, and caves (Yeah, it's vague). I'd hazard a guess that the old English didn't intend for the word 'Earth' to mean the whole planet, but I guess it just turned out that way.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Bah, just leave it as is. Sure it's not particularly amazing but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

smaug85

Oct 23, 2010
Yeah it's already called Terra or Terra Firma. (Though Terra Firma is technically "Solid Earth") Hence why it is Terra and the Terrans in Starcraft 2, duh.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
OhJohnNo said:
Bob.

Anyone who gets my reference wins a lifetime's supply of nothing whatsoever.
Ninja!

OT

I've always liked Terra personally.